Lokka differential lock

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Lokka differential lock

Postby Barrabrad on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi
Am about to purchase and fit a Lokka lock right to the front diff of my MN GLR and need confirmation that a Lokka has no affect when in 2wd. As you know the hubs on this vehicle are permanently on. I understand that a Lokka has no affect when hubs are disconnected, how about if you cant do this? I need to be absolutely sure that the unit will not affect my every day street driving.
With thanks, Barra
Barrabrad

Re: Lokka differential lock

Postby trumpy955 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:18 pm

I have yet to feel a difference when i drive mine every day and i travel over 100ks each way for work.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
trumpy955

Postby al coholic on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:23 pm

It will affect if you have super select in your GLR. :? Otherwise, if its easy select (just 2WD, H4 and L4) then no, it wont affect your every day street driving.

I have one fitted in my ML GLX with easy select, wouldnt even know its there ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby mattz on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:56 pm

I have one in my ML and you can not notice it in 2wd.
My ML is easy select. ;)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby wake jake on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:43 pm

mattz wrote:I have one in my ML and you can not notice it in 2wd.
My ML is easy select. ;)

Im the same with mattz no problems what so ever. Don't even notice it
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby Homer on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Not sure why it would affect a super select in 2wd either? But I gave up reading the locker threads way back...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:18 pm

We had one member with some transfer issues. A Queenslander from memory. The logic was a bit curious but taking the lokka out stopped the problem so it was hard to dispute the diagnosis.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:31 pm

When i first saw this thread I thought "Oh Gawd, not another newb starting yet another thread about Lokkas"

However,

After reading OP's post I think this is a very valid question and deserves to be explored.

Like the guys above I have Easy Select and a Lokka. Also like them there is absolutely no sign of the Lokka being there when in 2WD but, we all have the front axle that disengages (note: not the hubs, just the right hand side axle). As we already know, from 2012 this mechanism has been dropped and this is why OP's question is valid; because we haven't really explored this.

So, let's look at the differences.

In the standard open front diff, one side is permanently connected (left) while the other side can engage or disengage through a mechanism right next to the diff. In 2WD this means that the left wheel transfers through the CVs and driveshaft to the diff, but no further while the right wheel transfers again through the CVs and driveshafts to the mechanism which is unlocked and therefore drive goes no further.

When a Lokka is fitted to this system, in 2WD drive rotation of the left wheel will transfer through to the diff, but, because it is permanently locked, will go through and rotate the propshaft from the diff to the transfer case. Of course, the transfer case also disengages the drive so it will stop at this point. There is another thread that discusses the effect within the transfer case and how the drive chain is driven from the wheel. From the right wheel, rotation stops at the mechanism next to the diff, so no different to the standard factory diff setup. The front wheels are not connected to each other so they can rotate independently of each other. A small amount of power is lost through rotating the diff and front propshaft. No biggie.

From 2012, the isolating mechanism has been deleted. In a standard diff setup this just means that rotation of the right wheel goes just a little further, but not beyond the differential. The difference is minimal and it's easy to see why Mitsubishi changed it. Not really necessary.

However, introducing a locking front differential into this new arrangement now means that the left and right wheels are solidly connected to each other. If this was a solidly locking differential like the Air Locker and E Locker then this would mean a big problem because the wheels cannot turn at the different speeds that they need to in order to negotiate a corner. There would be lots of tyre squealing and, eventually, probably a broken CV joint. The Lokka, though is different. It does allow the outside wheel to turn faster than the inside wheel. In this situation the teeth disengage and just slide over each other. There is a slight clicking noise as this happens but it is very faint and most people, in the Triton anyway, won't even hear it.

So, in a 2012 Triton the difference, in terms of driving, may be a very slight loading up of the steering until the outside wheel's differing rotation disengages the Lokka and also possibly a slightly increased tendency to return to centre. Judging on my own experience using the Lokka on loose dirt, these effects are likely to be quite small when there is no drive coming through the transfer case from the engine. Sensitive drivers may notice it though. There will also be some faint clicking as the Lokka disengages.

I doubt that any of these effects will be enough to cause any concern, certainly not like using a Lokka with Super Select on bitumen. It will be interesting to see comments from those who instal the Lokka on 2012 and later models.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby al coholic on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Homer wrote:Not sure why it would affect a super select in 2wd either? But I gave up reading the locker threads way back...

No, obviously not in 2wd......but if you have a lokka and super select, and go and engage 4h, means you are now locked on the bitumen. I know blokes like Salt and Schmuck have done it regardless........but I think they may have even admitted it surprised them in certain situations, like going a bit faster than normal into a roundabout :?

And you didnt stop reading Homer........you were too red in the face ranting and raving to notice anyone else's response :twisted: :lol: :P
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Barrabrad on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks folks, appreciate your clarifications.
Barrabrad

Postby Homer on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:30 am

al coholic wrote:
Homer wrote:Not sure why it would affect a super select in 2wd either? But I gave up reading the locker threads way back...

No, obviously not in 2wd......but if you have a lokka and super select, and go and engage 4h, means you are now locked on the bitumen. I know blokes like Salt and Schmuck have done it regardless........but I think they may have even admitted it surprised them in certain situations, like going a bit faster than normal into a roundabout :?

And you didnt stop reading Homer........you got it right to start with and didn't need to read anyone else's incorrect responses :twisted: :lol: :P

Quote edited for accuracy :roll: :lol: I'm sure geek and a few learned others will attest to that :P

Yeah I know the issue with the super select 4wd thing but he was asking about 2wd.
That's interesting info Chris...think I'd be going air locker (or whatever other switchable variant becomes available) in the new cars personally.

CD I think that was Froggy you are talking about? And I believe that situation wasn't as clear cut Lokka issue as it seemed...pretty sure in fact....but again is just my opinion :roll:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby odie602r on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:16 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:When i first saw this thread I thought "Oh Gawd, not another newb starting yet another thread about Lokkas"

However,

After reading OP's post I think this is a very valid question and deserves to be explored.

Like the guys above I have Easy Select and a Lokka. Also like them there is absolutely no sign of the Lokka being there when in 2WD but, we all have the front axle that disengages (note: not the hubs, just the right hand side axle). As we already know, from 2012 this mechanism has been dropped and this is why OP's question is valid; because we haven't really explored this.

So, let's look at the differences.

In the standard open front diff, one side is permanently connected (left) while the other side can engage or disengage through a mechanism right next to the diff. In 2WD this means that the left wheel transfers through the CVs and driveshaft to the diff, but no further while the right wheel transfers again through the CVs and driveshafts to the mechanism which is unlocked and therefore drive goes no further.

When a Lokka is fitted to this system, in 2WD drive rotation of the left wheel will transfer through to the diff, but, because it is permanently locked, will go through and rotate the propshaft from the diff to the transfer case. Of course, the transfer case also disengages the drive so it will stop at this point. There is another thread that discusses the effect within the transfer case and how the drive chain is driven from the wheel. From the right wheel, rotation stops at the mechanism next to the diff, so no different to the standard factory diff setup. The front wheels are not connected to each other so they can rotate independently of each other. A small amount of power is lost through rotating the diff and front propshaft. No biggie.

From 2012, the isolating mechanism has been deleted. In a standard diff setup this just means that rotation of the right wheel goes just a little further, but not beyond the differential. The difference is minimal and it's easy to see why Mitsubishi changed it. Not really necessary.

However, introducing a locking front differential into this new arrangement now means that the left and right wheels are solidly connected to each other. If this was a solidly locking differential like the Air Locker and E Locker then this would mean a big problem because the wheels cannot turn at the different speeds that they need to in order to negotiate a corner. There would be lots of tyre squealing and, eventually, probably a broken CV joint. The Lokka, though is different. It does allow the outside wheel to turn faster than the inside wheel. In this situation the teeth disengage and just slide over each other. There is a slight clicking noise as this happens but it is very faint and most people, in the Triton anyway, won't even hear it.

So, in a 2012 Triton the difference, in terms of driving, may be a very slight loading up of the steering until the outside wheel's differing rotation disengages the Lokka and also possibly a slightly increased tendency to return to centre. Judging on my own experience using the Lokka on loose dirt, these effects are likely to be quite small when there is no drive coming through the transfer case from the engine. Sensitive drivers may notice it though. There will also be some faint clicking as the Lokka disengages.

I doubt that any of these effects will be enough to cause any concern, certainly not like using a Lokka with Super Select on bitumen. It will be interesting to see comments from those who instal the Lokka on 2012 and later models.

So how do you tell if your Triton has the newer setup? I've got an MY12 model, but I think the build was Dec 2011. Does that mean I should be right?

(I didn't completely get the difference between the two scenarios above :oops: :oops: :roll: )
the truth will set you free

My build thread:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11704
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:40 pm

AFAIK the only way is to actually have a look. The vacuum actuated switch and associated lines are gone.

To a large extent, Odie, if you have the new setup, even with Easy Select, then a Lokka may not be the best choice. If you have Super Select then air or electric is your best bet.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:43 pm

As I understand it they physically deleted the actuator in front of the front diff. If you pull off your bash plates you'll be able to see it. If you don't know what it looks like do a search on actuator and you should find it. It sits cross ways in front of the diff from memory and has a rubber boot along it - similar to a CV boot but closer to an inch round so much smaller.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mattz on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:22 am

The actuator hangs off the underside of the diff. This is why everyone without bash plates damages it.
Here is a pic of the diff sitting upside down.
You can see it sitting on the top with the rubber boot. ;)Click to view larger picture
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby aids84 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:39 am

I put a Lokka in my front diff (MY '12, no front actuator) and haven't had any dramas in 3000 ish kms. The only way to tell it's there is a very faint clicking when doing full lock turns (eg parking). If I jack one wheel off the ground the Lokka disengages very easily by hand in both directions.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:25 am

Thanks guys - I'm 99% confident I don't have an actuator after viewing the photo from Mattz. But I'll double check on the weekend.

So just trying to understand NFT5th's post then - does having the setup without actuator now exclude the lokka as an option?

Until reading this thread I had thought that the main condition for Lokka choice was easy select or super select (I have easy select), but I think 5th's post is suggesting different?

For some reason it's taking me a bit to get my head around this one :oops:

I was pretty much ready to book in and get a lokka installed in Sept ...

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:07 am

odie602r wrote:So just trying to understand NFT5th's post then - does having the setup without actuator now exclude the lokka as an option?

No, it doesn't preclude the Lokka, not like Super Select does. Easy Select with actuator means that in 2WD there is no discernible feel at all. Without the actuator there will be some difference, not savage as it could be with Super Select but enough to feel. Increased power off understeer is probably the best way I could describe it. Probably less noticeable with new, grippy tyres but increasing in effect as they wear. Also some additional wear as tyres particularly would have to work a little harder, actually driving the diff to disengage and CVs would be transferring that drive.

Until reading this thread I had thought that the main condition for Lokka choice was easy select or super select (I have easy select), but I think 5th's post is suggesting different?

It was. Now it's not quite as clear. The Lokka is still an option based on cost and ease of use, plus its' ability to unlock and provide steering when in 4WD.

If I had no actuator and Easy Select and I did a lot of four wheel driving then I wouldn't think twice - just go the Lokka for it's ease of use and grip when you need it rather than after you realise that you might not make it. I'd learn to live with the differences in handling and wear the slight increases in wear.

If I just did occasional off roading then I'd think thrice. One, do I really need a front locker and, two, am I prepared to cope with the small differences in wear and handling? Third, will anyone else, who may not be as good or experienced a driver as me, be driving the vehicle?

Like I said, it's not necessarily black and white any more. You have to make your own decision.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby mIwoo on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:20 pm

anyone know roughly how many benjamins they cost?
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby mIwoo on Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:13 pm

thanks.
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby odie602r on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:26 pm

I think it's $570 delivered now.

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aids84 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:56 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:If I had no actuator and Easy Select and I did a lot of four wheel driving then I wouldn't think twice - just go the Lokka for it's ease of use and grip when you need it rather than after you realise that you might not make it. I'd learn to live with the differences in handling and wear the slight increases in wear.

What differences in handling? I can't feel any difference in my car when driving on the road in 2wd. As I said before the Lokka disengages very easily by hand and no feedback is ever felt through the steering wheel. I doubt there'd be any increase in wear on the tyres either, no more than say having a LSD in the rear axle.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby odie602r on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:16 pm

aids84 wrote:
NowForThe5th wrote:If I had no actuator and Easy Select and I did a lot of four wheel driving then I wouldn't think twice - just go the Lokka for it's ease of use and grip when you need it rather than after you realise that you might not make it. I'd learn to live with the differences in handling and wear the slight increases in wear.

What differences in handling? I can't feel any difference in my car when driving on the road in 2wd. As I said before the Lokka disengages very easily by hand and no feedback is ever felt through the steering wheel. I doubt there'd be any increase in wear on the tyres either, no more than say having a LSD in the rear axle.

That's interesting - just checking, you've got the model that doesn't have the actuator anymore?

My build thread:
odie602r
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aids84 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Yep, MY2012, no actautor
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby triton_guru on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:10 am

Hi guys i know this is an old thread but i just wanted to double check some things, ik purchasing a lokka hopefully next month ive got a 2007 ml triton with actuator is this going to be a problem? Its a manual aswell if that makes any differences aswell cheers guys
triton_guru

Next

Return to Drive Train Components