Any problems lifting an auto?

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Any problems lifting an auto?

Postby ExRevHead on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:25 pm

hi,

Is there any problems lifting an Auto triton to about 40-50mm?

I've spoken to a few different suspension paces and they all have different idea's on the triton.

Arb says the CV's can't take more than 10mm lift.(10mm front, 20mm rear)
EFS says there is more problems lifting a auto than a manual. (20mm all round)

I've been thinking of useing 2"kings springs in the front and snake racing shackles in the rear - undicided on what shocks to use????

Thanks for any help,
Steve.
ExRevHead

Re: Any problems lifting an auto?

Postby FRDESP on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:41 pm

I put 25mm Kings in the front last week.Putting Snake racing shackles thus weekend dont have prob so far.My is an auto.
FRDESP
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ML-VR08 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:04 am

Mine is an auto...mine is lifted alot and running 33's with no scrubbing what so ever!

I have notice that the front is alittle rough riding...and when going over bump you have to slow down as there isnt much upwards movement due to the bumpstop sitting on the upper control arm! But its not a big deal! :lol:
ML-VR08

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:59 am

I have medium duty ridepro springs in the front- I have no shudder not sure of the lift but I believe around 30-40mm (was done to vehicle before delivery)
I also have a ARB bar on the front.

I run Bilstein shocks and you can see some pics of the articulation and stance in my profile.
I still have the standard leafs in the rear, will look at extended shackles (or Freds add a coil) if they sag.

So far I'm happy planning to give it a big workout at the end of next month with a couple thousand km dirt road test then I will decide what further work is required (if any)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby King Triton on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:47 pm

As a rule of thumb you can lift IFS about 50mm before the angles of the CV's becomes to great.
I spoke to Carrols Head store in QLD (they make EFS) i was told the reason for only a 20mm lift was due to the shudder from the manuals and they did not want to do two kits, I also spoke to Carrols sydney and was told the same thing.
I got some of the best info from http://www.suspensionstuff.com.au you can give the bloke a call and ge will tell you what you can do.
He sells EFS, Lovells, Bilstein, Snake raceing etc. so he is not affiliated to just one brand and he will pretty much beat the others prices and delivery is free to most areas.
King Triton

Postby Wallace on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:21 pm

You won't have any problems lifting the auto as it runs a one piece tail shaft. The problem arises in the manual version with the lift as you severely alter the workable angles of the two piece tail shaft. GLX and BARRAXT have both posted threads regarding the vibration problems with the manual TRI and they have both logged a fix for the problems. As far as the workable angle of the front shafts are concerned just remember that when 4wd is engaged you will not be travelling at speed so I would presume that this increase in angle won't be a problem. If it was a problem I would expect that some of the members that have already done suspension lifts would have noted such.. Also a point in fact. If you do lift make sure that the lengths of the brake hoses are sufficient to do the job.................
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby ExRevHead on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks heaps for the info fellas.

I didn't think there was going to to any problems from what I've read around the forum but I worried a little when EFS told me they had more problems with the auto.

It would be good if these companies made a good fix for the problems in the manuals instad of trying to side step them with minimal lift kits!!!
Last edited by ExRevHead on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExRevHead

Lovells?

Postby ExRevHead on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:57 pm

Are lovell shock's up to the task of going bush and doing some outback touring?

A full set of lovell shock's are $460 from suspensionStuff.
ExRevHead

Bad news????

Postby ExRevHead on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:28 pm

This is the email I got back from tough dog when I asked them about lifting an auto more than there current 25mm kit -

We have tried everything and have not been able to raise more than 25mm on all models. We own an auto and we still can't get more than 25mm. Vibrations start at around 100k

Sorry.

Regards,

John
ExRevHead

Postby King Triton on Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:18 pm

This seems to go against everything we have all been told.
TUFFTRITON (Manual tough dog test vehicle) wrote on a thread the other day that he black tough dog Triton getting around has a 40-45mm lift and its fine.
King Triton

Return to Drive Train Components