Smokey

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Smokey

Postby ML-VR08 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:36 am

Has anyone experience alot of black smoke coming out of the back of their Tritons? Mine has been fitted with the TDC chip on setting 'B' and when i push the loud pedal down there is a thick trail of smoke, im talking think, like a old truck type thick, not sure if its because it needs a tune, or because its not getting enuf air etc...but im just wondering why its smoking so much, anyone else experience this?
ML-VR08

Re: Smokey

Postby Buzzy on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:39 am

Yeh mate your not getting enough air. Had the same thing.
Snorkel and Uni Filter solved the prob. Barely see anything now ;)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:42 am

Ah yeh removing the bottom part of your OEM filter might make it a bit better to, it is very restrictive.

Have a look here for a bit more info.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby ArrowsWA on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Hey Buzzy
I asked my mechanic what that padding was under the air filter was supposed to do his reply was it acts as a pre filter and more importantly it helps trap access moister (such as very wet or moist foggy days) was talking about it months ago with a South Aussie member so I asked, be careful though because the mechanic said removal could have warranty issues, if you have down stream problems with fuel / air and intake drama's
Having said that I had already pulled mine off the filter before I spoke to him (but I have a new spare filter now)
I can say that I did not experience any noticeable power increase or fuel economy benefit by it's removal, but the motor sounded like it breathed easier / sort of crisper intake sound.
Live life now, Tomorrow might not get here
ArrowsWA

Postby Buzzy on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:46 pm

Arrows,
Does that meen that a Uni or K&N filter might void warranty as well? Dont think either of these filters have that pre-filter thing on em.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby ML-VR08 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:54 pm

Buzzy - i have taken the pre filter off, but there is still alot of smoke, always has been since i fitted the chip...so not sure if its just dumping fuel in and not burning right or what! But i assume thats the problem, not enuf air getting to the engine, looking at getting a TJM Bullbar and Airtec snorkel in the next couple of weeks, so will see how that all goes i think.
ML-VR08

Postby ArrowsWA on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:31 pm

Buzzy
It would most likely give reason's to void warranty, especially if as described on another thread, the replacement filter used, had to be modified to fit within the box (thus it is not / must not be a direct replacement
Be different if it was marketed as a direct replacement part because that would put onus back on that manufacturer if Mitsubishi could provide proof that it in some way contributed to a problem.
So i guess short answer is yes
Live life now, Tomorrow might not get here
ArrowsWA

Postby Naff on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:48 pm

Unifilter make a direct replacement. K&N as of yet don't. Unifilter is foam... so any moisture issues have probably already been addressed. K&N is paper - so probably not going to have the same effect.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Install on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:56 pm

I'm the "other thread" that has fitted a K&N panel filter by "Modification. Just for the info, the actual sq dimensions of the air filter are exactly the same as the stock Mitsi filter. The difference lies in the fact the Triton filter has a sealing rubber attached the the perimeter of the filter to fully seal against the air box top & bottom. The K&N Panel filter i used fits a Mitsubishi car that has the seal inside the halves of the air box to seal; that's all. The K&N Filter is made of Cotton Fabric Gauze not paper; sandwiched between wire mesh panels which then is impregnated with filter oil to prevent passage of foreign matter.
K&N strenuously advertise their "Million Mile Warranty" on replacement filters and have backing from all the car manufacturers for there OE use. I am willing to take Mitsubishi to task over this if any downstream warranty issue ever arose with my Triton connected to an air filter associated problem, i have checked the sealing on my "modified" filter within the air box and the sealing is perfect leaving the only change that could effect the engine/warranty being the air filter construction. My truck runs on the tar seal 90% percent of the time so i have no need for any "Special precautions" i.e dust storms or crossing rivers etc.. but have included the option of running a "Precharger" (Primary airfilter for offroad or racing conditions) before my panel filter. Every vehicle i have ever owned i have run K&N filters in; including many rally cars without ever having any issues. My other car currently has the same style panel filter sitting in it's airbox but has the intake force fed directly from the front splitter; in heavy rain the pre filter side of the airbox can be dripping wet with water but post filter dry as a bone. In fact in a fit of "Brilliant ideas" one time i opted to run a cut down K&N panel filter for two full seasons in my Jetski without any serious water egress problems.
This obviously is not an option that everybody will care about or wish to fit to their trucks but for my purpose i am very happy with the performance returns i now enjoy.
NB: I have nothing to do with K&N just had a very good run out of their products.

Install
If you're in control, you ain't going fast enuff!
Install

Postby Naff on Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:11 pm

Yeah I have always used K&N as well and was always happy with the product - it just didn't appeal to me to have to modify it first - and I always liked having the factory filter as a backup if I was cleaning the K&N etc.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Install on Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:20 pm

I didn't want to modify it either! but the bugga's haven't bothered to make one for us as the yanks get a different truck model and obviously a different airbox so very unlikely to ever see one i expect too.
Only ever clean mine 6 monthly maybe and it's in and out within 1/2 hr so i don't mind not having a back up filter,

Install
If you're in control, you ain't going fast enuff!
Install

Postby Wallace on Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:58 pm

With the setting you are using to blow off crumpledoors you are compromising the fuel to air mixture.....that is too much fuel and not enough air to get a clear burn......not good........I would suggest going back to a reasonable setting on the module and leave it that. Most are running on "7" and are happy with that ( TDC ) After all we are talking of an engine that produces power and torque in the bottom to mid range of the engine rev's and not something that spins to 7500 rpm. Its not doing it any good!
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby ML-VR08 on Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:27 am

Still rather smokey when the chip is off now - maybe i need the intake manifold cleaned?? Or maybe some injector cleaner??
ML-VR08

Return to Drive Train Components