33's and Triton drivetrain durability?

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

33's and Triton drivetrain durability?

Postby Zantus on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:03 am

I've searched around but this hasn't been discussed much.

When I get a 3.2DiD Triton, 285's(33") tyres will be one of the first things I'll add. I'm quite an agressive driver according to other people, but I drove a cruiser on 33's for 2 years and never broken anything, and I've also been driving a 1UZ-FE V8 powered hilux for 2 years on stock axles and 35's and on that also I haven't broken anything. I cannot say the same for the land rovers I had, on the last one, a '95 disco, I popped the front, rear and centre diffs on 29" road tyres and the stock V8!!!!

Has anyone with 33's been doing any serious 4x4ing, don't care about on road or towing, I just care about drivetrain durability in serious offroad situations.
The question is, can the drivetrain on a Triton handle a lift and 33's when going gets rough?
Zantus

Re: 33's and Triton drivetrain durability?

Postby Buzzy on Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:45 am

Zantus,
Have a look at TUFF TRITON'S truck. He is running 35's and uses his hard.
I beleive he hasnt had a prob, or at least we havent heard about it on here ;)

33's should be a piece of cake
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Zantus on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:40 am

Any more thoughts on this....or are all the big wheeled Tritons not being used offroad? :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Zantus

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:56 am

I have 32" MTZ and a lift. I would consider myself conservative in driving style but like to have the extra ability should I need it.
I try and wheel at least every couple of weeks and have had no driveline concerns. Mine is a auto so I do not (have not suffered from driveline shudder) you may need to do a search on this if your looking for a manual triton.

I have just spent the last week away and part of that trip involved a drive into the "Krombit Tops NP" this trip took 8 hours to drive 200kms in remote central QLD. low range was used regularly, the vehilce now needs a wash as being the only problem.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby ML-VR08 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:57 am

I have 33" MTZ and have had no problems with drivetrain etc...mine is also an auto! The only issue i have is the steering wheel wobbles a bit when you hit a bump or pothole at around 100kms! Appart from that the 33's are unreal.
ML-VR08

Postby Tuff Triton on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:19 am

33 inch tyres will be OK.

I had a set of 33's for a few months before I jumped up to 35's (Michey Thompson MTZ).
I drive my truck hard - real hard - I have even taken it to the Drag strip for a fun time (you can see some photo's on my profile).

To date - I havent broken any thing (yes I have a few bumps and scratches on the panels) but I've heard 'chicks dig scares' Ha Ha Ha.

I don't have any driveline issues even with the 2 inch body lift.

My truck is a daily driver (I work in contruction and every day, I'm driving around job sites. I currently oversea 8 job sites all over the state - therefore I do a heap of long distance driving (I think I knocked up 40k km just last year, total 70k on the clock). I teach 4x4 driver training within our 4x4 club and I also tow horse floats and car trailers regularly. All with the 35 inch tyres and I average around 13l per 100km)

Just remember - your not really trying unless you get mud on your roof - I'm such a big kid - I love playing in the mud....
Tuff Triton

Postby Zantus on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:35 am

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear!

Just to proove that I'm not scared of wheeling my 4x4's real hard...here one of my insane moments caught on camera :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsgoeIx2Uj8

Doubt if any IFS vehicle will survive that, so I'll have to behave myself :mrgreen:
Zantus

Postby ratstriton on Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:32 pm

nice vid you are a little bit insane :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dadz on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:40 pm

What a vid bro kinda extreme hehehehehehe.........
Bro's if you use 285/75 does it affect any thing in our truck like turning radius or scratching on some other parts using the stock mags? Does any one have a advice on what size is fine to use? i have a 2" lift, what about 255/85 is this okay? i use my truck on road only in some occasion maybe once a month or once everu a couple of moth in off road. Sorry if i ask to many question i have no body to ask, im a newbie in this.
Visit us:
www.triton4x4club.com - Thailand Club
www.stradaclubph.com - Philippine Club
dadz

Return to Drive Train Components