Low range 2wd

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Low range 2wd

Postby Daniel3625 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:26 am

Found avm replacement hubs on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181168741662

How would these compare to Aisin hubs quality / price wise ?
Daniel3625

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:40 am

The free wheeling hubs as posted above will not do anything.

The 4wd operation is internal, unlike previous tritons and pajeros with torsion bar suspension arrangement.

that is the big difference

the CV in the triton gets drive from the diff, it cannot release/ control drive from the hub splines.

I have no idea how the non actuator setup works, but the CV and hub setup is still the same across all models so the same limits apply.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Amaroo on Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:28 am

Those AVM freewheeling hubs would NOT work on a current model Triton see 4wd26's photos further down for the reason why.

EDIT: the tone ring for ABS and traction control is on the CV and not the hub so fitting the freewheeling hubs would not work with the electronics either.

I'll use a current model GLX with easy select and no front diff actuator as an example.

The ONLY engagement and disengagement between 2wd and 4wd happens at the opposite end of your low range lever. There is nothing going on anywhere else, it's a mechanical engagement/disengagement manually manipulated by the driver.

When in 2wd the front driveline is disengaged yet the whole entire front portion of the drive line is being driven by your front wheels which is why when you select 4wd hi on the fly you need to be travelling straight ahead on a relatively even surface so the the engagement between the two happens smoothly i.e. they need to be spinning at the same rpm.

If you COULD find a way to fit freewheeling hubs to the vehicle you will have the ability to disengage the hub from the axle within the hub. So you could drive along in two wheel drive with none of the front driveline components rotating as they are not being driven by the front wheels.

Conversely you could select low range 4wd with the hubs still disconnected and you now have low range 2wd. Lock the hubs and you have low range 4wd.

So in summary if it were possible then fitting freewheeling hubs offers a few potential benefits:

* ability to drive with the front hubs disengaged and not have all the front driveline components rotating (decreasing wear, maybe consuming a little less fuel).
* ability to utilise 2wd low range.
* the ability to run in 2wd mode and isolate some of the front driveline in the event of a part failure in that portion of the driveline.

As evident from further discussion below, the straight forward fitment of freewheeling hubs is NOT possible on the current model Triton.
Last edited by Amaroo on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Amaroo

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:45 am

That's a good summary Amaroo.

I don't understand 4wd26's explanation.

Type of ivs springing has nothing to do with how the driveshaft couples to the wheel hub.

So do the post 2006 tritons have a splined hub?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Amaroo on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:04 am

Major oversight on my part though is that the tone ring is on the CV and not the hub also it mechanically would NOT because of the spline being part of the hub body at the rear of the hub and not bolted to the front of the hub like on other brands - thank you 4wd26 for the clarification with the photos below.
Last edited by Amaroo on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amaroo

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:11 am

Take a look at the CV, it is splined at either end (in the case of the passenger side- Driver side is bolted to the diff)- it is direct drive from the hub to the diff.

How can this be manipulated at the hub?

now you could possibly use the manual locking hubs BUT you would need to change the whole front assembly as the front wheel bearings drive straight from the cv joint.

see how there are 2 stages of splines in this video- straight forward manual hub conversion.

note the smaller centre hub that the triton (and other Mitsubishis) use in the auto hub as the activation is done at the diff- different to other manufactures.

I'll go and get a photo
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:19 am

Triton front wheel assembly
Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
Click to view larger picture
Cv installed
Explain how the free hub is going to be able to disengage drive?

You would need a different front end for it to work?
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby Jaymac92 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:45 pm

My mechanic had a look under the bonnet and said that he found the vacuum line to the front... And said we could fit a tap that blocked vacuum to the front diff on my MY13
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:51 pm

Not confusing that with the diff breather?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Low range 2wd

Postby Daniel3625 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:56 pm

My understanding was how Amaroo described, which is why I thought it may work
Daniel3625

Postby 4wd26 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:04 pm

The hassle is not in how it works, just there is nothing available for the current triton due to how our arrangement is set up.

There is no way to disengage the splines at the CV to the bearings/ hub
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:23 pm

So from all this mitsi have simplified the engineering, results in a more economical and probably more reliable drive.

So it seems that with the later models the possible modding of the transfer shifting is all that's available.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Daniel3625 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks for your informed description 4wd26 now it makes sense as why it wouldn't work. Good to see the person on ebay is selling a load of bs
Daniel3625

Postby Amaroo on Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks for the second description and the photos 4wd26, you are right, there is no way the freewheeling hub would work on that setup. From your first post I couldn't work out what you were talking about but your subsequent ones with pics make it clear as day.

Out of interest I emailed the eBay seller who specifically notes they work on MN's to ask how it would fit at all and how the ABS and traction control handle getting no input. I'll post his reply when it comes through.

Thanks again.
Amaroo

Postby Jaymac92 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:12 pm

So all in all... It is absolutely impossible on the my13+ models to make a 2Lo mod possible? Zilch zip nup none?
2013 MN GLR 4x4 with TJM Bullbar, side rails and sliders, TJM Snorkel, Uniden UHF, Black sunraysia rims and more to follow...
Jaymac92

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:05 pm

No such thing as impossible mate, it's just that no one has worked it out yet.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Jaymac92 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:37 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:No such thing as impossible mate, it's just that no one has worked it out yet.
mmmm good point haha but it's looking bad..
Jaymac92

Postby Belbrook on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:No such thing as impossible mate, it's just that no one has worked it out yet.

nothing is impossible. it just costs more
Not bad for an old bloke
Belbrook

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:59 am

This is the response from an eBay seller who lists the manual locking hubs as specifically fitting the MN Triton:

Not suited to all Tritons - many happy customers but a few said there is no means of bolting them up or even axle splines to attach to. Sounds like Hubs are not an option for your rig I am afraid.

Contradicts his eBay ad:

I haven't yet had a Mitsubishi customer tell me that they dont fit or had difficulty fitting them. I am really happy with this hub.

Typical ebay I guess.
Amaroo

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:44 am

The design changed when the Pajero and Triton went to the front "strut" rather than the torsion bar setup.

models prior to this, up to around 2006 in the triton and 1999 in the Pajero can fit free wheeling hubs.

better to save you guys money hence the short comments originally from me, and the short very bad explanation.

Would be keen to learn how the triton without a actuator works, there would have to be a way
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:54 am

Are there any cables entering the front diff/axle on the latest mn?

If not, then the front drive train "wheels back to a dog clutch in the transfer box" will be constantly live. ie front wheels will be turning the gear.

This would be a backward step.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Amaroo on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:59 am

RHKTriton wrote:Are there any cables entering the front diff/axle on the latest mn?

If not, then the front drive train "wheels back to a dog clutch in the transfer box" will be constantly live. ie front wheels will be turning the gear.

This would be a backward step.

Nope, after the diff actuator was deleted there is no disconnect in the front driveline.

As I noted earlier, the whole lot is being rotated by the front wheels when in 2wd.

Whether deleting the diff actuator was a backward step or not is debateable.
Amaroo

Postby a9x_hatch on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:12 pm

Thanks for your input 4wd26, I can't believe I didn't pick that up earlier, I've only pulled my front end apart about half a dozen times :oops:

After a lot of thought I've decided to sell my wifes Kia and buy a twin locked 80 series. She isn't complaining she's always nagging me to drive the triton anyway. ;)
a9x_hatch

Postby har05l on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:35 pm

A9x, you could always by a ML and perform the trickery and have 2 tritons sitting in the driveway, his and hers 8-) .
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:55 pm

A9x you'd be able to buy consumables in bulk with two!

So just a quickie; does the outer CV actually keep the hub from falling off the axle?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components