Cooling System Service Campaign

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby snakesoup on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Yes dave, im in the same boat as you mate, mine has been faultless for 90k thus far and ive had it 6 years now..i over service it and dont give it any reason to let me down, if the worst was to happen im still covered for a new engine too so will suck it and see!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby Ozzybucket on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:22 am

I have just experienced this overheating issue. I have a 2015 mn Triton GLXR manufacture date MAR 15 bought Aug 2015. It has a low 14K on it. Anyway few days off, last week we took our Caravan to Caravan Park about 120 km away, about 10km out the car loses all power and engine light comes on. Pull over , notice coolant sprayed all over engine bay, let cool down and then limp mode to Park. Next day without caravan take for a drive, power back, engine light off, temperature normal. Then on trip home about 30km from home car does it again, pull over let cool down and then limp home. Call Mitsubishi next day, learn there is 8 other Tritons there with same problem (appears this issue is very widespread!), 3 to have engines replaced and others awaiting stress testing. I'm told I may have 1 to 2 month wait, no loan cars available which is great as I live in rural area. Anyway car is booked in for 5 hour stress test next Tuesday. Anyway I will await the outcome before proceeding further!
Ozzybucket

Postby SHANDAMN on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:12 pm

See thats interesting, I have one built in the same month, same year, bought same month, same year, and up to 43k and so far the temp gauge has not gone above the halfway mark.
SHANDAMN

Postby explorer.dave on Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:31 pm

SHANDAMN wrote:See thats interesting, I have one built in the same month, same year, bought same month, same year, and up to 43k and so far the temp gauge has not gone above the halfway mark.

Don't rely on the temp gauge, others that have had this issue report that the gauge only climbs up after the engine is going into meltdown, OBD11 reader with temp is the most reliable for engine temps.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Diesel Dick on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:02 pm

Ozzybucket wrote:I have just experienced this overheating issue. I have a 2015 mn Triton GLXR manufacture date MAR 15 bought Aug 2015. It has a low 14K on it. Anyway few days off, last week we took our Caravan to Caravan Park about 120 km away, about 10km out the car loses all power and engine light comes on. Pull over , notice coolant sprayed all over engine bay, let cool down and then limp mode to Park. Next day without caravan take for a drive, power back, engine light off, temperature normal. Then on trip home about 30km from home car does it again, pull over let cool down and then limp home. Call Mitsubishi next day, learn there is 8 other Tritons there with same problem (appears this issue is very widespread!), 3 to have engines replaced and others awaiting stress testing. I'm told I may have 1 to 2 month wait, no loan cars available which is great as I live in rural area. Anyway car is booked in for 5 hour stress test next Tuesday. Anyway I will await the outcome before proceeding further!

My Oct 2015 cooked at 33k and jst did it again at 83k
Diesel Dick

Postby Ozzybucket on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:52 am

SHANDAMN wrote:See thats interesting, I have one built in the same month, same year, bought same month, same year, and up to 43k and so far the temp gauge has not gone above the halfway mark.

Thats interesting, have you put the car under any load e.g. like towing a caravan, boat etc.?
Ozzybucket

Postby Ozzybucket on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:10 am

Update car went in was without it for 8 days, it had 3 stress tests all of which i'm told it passed. They kept it a few extra days and said they were going to remove radiator and send for testing. When I finally got it back they said its fine, passed stress tests, flushed cooling system and replaced thermostat. So on weekend hooked caravan and took it for a drive up hills for about a 100km. Car did not overheat, BUT when i got home i let engine cool right down i noticed that the coolant had risen inside the coolant reservoir considerably above the upper level mark. As I unscrewed the radiator cap there was considerable amount of air/gas bubbling back through the reservoir. On inspection there was no coolant under the radiator cap. I'm thinking that over time as more coolant is expelled or evaporates it will overheat again. It does not seem to pull the reservoir coolant back into the radiator. What does anybody else think?
Ozzybucket

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 am

I'd try a new radiator cap or check the one you have to make sure the return valve is operational.

The normal process after a coolant change would see the system gradually forcing gas out and coolant being sucked in each time the engine cools down.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ManyHairs on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:54 am

Hey guys I have a leak at the top near the inlet. Looks like a seal behind a section that could possibly screw out. I don't know anything about radiators, does that plug with the cross on it come out? http://imghostr.net/image/k3vq
ManyHairs

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:43 pm

That's an unusual spot to leak. Would think the plug looking thingo is something used during manufacturing.

I'll have a look at my old one just recently pulled out.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:59 pm

So just had a look (mine is ml).

That cap sits perfectly flush with the outer and I couldn't budge it, so either fused in or possibly a push fit with 'O' ring. In your pic its slightly skewy, suggesting it hasn't actually been fitted correctly.

Don't know how old your vehicle is, but may be a warranty job.

If you're game you could try and level the plug with careful application of a clamp.

Another option is to remove the radiator, clean out that area inside and when dry pour in some epoxy - careful not to let any run into the tank.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SHANDAMN on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Ozzybucket wrote:

Thats interesting, have you put the car under any load e.g. like towing a caravan, boat etc.?

Yeah we have had a 17ft Offroad caravan for a couple of years, loaded it weighs a bit over 2T and other than the extra smoking it does when this load is on the back I've been very happy with the way it just chugs along, its manual so I'm towing in 4th at highway speeds, so revving that bit higher. and yeah just doesnt change in temp at all. (that is according to the gauge tho, so may or may not be accurate :shock: )
SHANDAMN

Postby Sammy123 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:22 am

Wondering of anyone else has tried an out of warranty claim on this issues.

I am new to the triton world. Bough a MN 2011 4 months ago with all the fruit on it. Full service history and no issue when checked by my mechanic pre purchase. It was OUT OF WARRANTY and I never heard of this issue.

Last week on the way to a camping trip with the family, 1 hr down the highway the engine light came on and temperature gauge went to red.

Limped into the ultratune shop in Goulbourn. The mechanic that locked at the car said he had worked as the mechanic at the local Mitsubishi service centre for the previous 5 years.

He advised me of the know issues with overheating and machining problem with the block. Took him all of 3 seconds to confirm my MN was another casualty and to take it to the Mitsubishi dealer down the road to see what could be done.

He confirmed he was dropping in 3 engines a day at one stage due to the issue.

Yesterday, Mitsubishi called gving me out of warranty thus out of my pocket speech. After some quick talk I convinced the foreman mechanic to put in a good will claim to MMA whcih he was good enough to do.

He said he had to take the head off regardless to assess the damage and potential cost. I reluctantly greed as my repair options have been reduce.

Hoping these guys give me a fair go. Looking at ths tread I am wondering why on this good earth I bought this car outside of warranty, shame as the MN is really decked out to go anywhere less this problem.

Hope this can be overcome. Will let you know what happen. Appriciate any advice.
Sammy123

Postby TheSheepKed on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Sammy123 wrote:Wondering of anyone else has tried an out of warranty claim on this issues.

I am new to the triton world. Bough a MN 2011 4 months ago with all the fruit on it. Full service history and no issue when checked by my mechanic pre purchase. It was OUT OF WARRANTY and I never heard of this issue.

Last week on the way to a camping trip with the family, 1 hr down the highway the engine light came on and temperature gauge went to red.

Limped into the ultratune shop in Goulbourn. The mechanic that locked at the car said he had worked as the mechanic at the local Mitsubishi service centre for the previous 5 years.

He advised me of the know issues with overheating and machining problem with the block. Took him all of 3 seconds to confirm my MN was another casualty and to take it to the Mitsubishi dealer down the road to see what could be done.

Yesterday, Mitsubishi called gving me out of warranty thus out of my pocket speech. After some quick talk I convinced the foreman mechanic to put in a good will claim to MMA whcih he was good enough to do.

He said he had to take the head off regardless to assess the damage and potential cost. I reluctantly greed as my repair options have been reduce.

Hoping these guys give me a fair go. Looking at ths tread I am wondering why on this good earth I bought this car outside of warranty, shame as the MN is really decked out to go anywhere less this problem.

Hope this can be overcome. Will let you know what happen. Appriciate any advice.

Sorry to hear you're having such an issue. I've heard of people getting their engine replaced outside of warranty. In fact, one service representative from my dealership even told me that all the ones he has replaced have been out of warranty. I would personally be pressing Mitsubishi as much as possible. Some other people on here will probably be able to advise you on which department (ACCC etc.) to contact if you have to go down that route.
Best of luck and keep us updated.
TheSheepKed

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Sammy123 wrote:He confirmed he was dropping in 3 engines a day at one stage due to the issue.

And this is the point where he would have lost me. There is no way in hell that a bloke can RnR three Triton engines in a day.

At best, they are a long motor, which would require all ancillaries to be stripped and refitted.

Why do people feel the need to exaggerate?
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:53 pm

Sammy123 wrote:Wondering of anyone else has tried an out of warranty claim on this issues.

Yes, It's a known manufacturing fault! All the 2.5l engines are likely to fail as some point.. Even the replacement engines. Mitsubishi know all about so make sure you take up the fight! Total BS if they try wriggle out of it.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:07 pm

Half a wonder replacements are failing if they're chucking in three per day - can't be much TLC!

Experiences I and some acquaintances have had, suggest most dealers aren't capable of diagnosing a crook diff and replacing it in a day. :lol:

Others can't even handle an oil filter on one vehicle......during a routine service.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:01 am

ManyHairs wrote:Hey guys I have a leak at the top near the inlet. Looks like a seal behind a section that could possibly screw out. I don't know anything about radiators, does that plug with the cross on it come out? http://imghostr.net/image/k3vq

That doesn’t screw out and I’ve seen a radiator blow that section clean out.
Unfortunately it’s a throw away and be sitting down if you look at buying a new one, very pricey ($900 approx).
I had a leak in mine and sourced a low km one for $100 from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:12 am

I did and was successful but it was a long painful road.
As Srb said they’re aware it’s a known problem so with patience hopefully you get the goodwill I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DanAu on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:55 am

I suspect that I'm another victim of this recall-not-recall. My Jan 14 Triton has had the service done but in the last week it's developed the cringeworthy blub blub of coolant into the overflow. No other issues at this stage.

Booked in for next Wednesday. Wish me luck!
DanAu

Postby arternune on Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:49 am

Just as a followup with my NM 2010 Triton
The first engine was replaced at 48,000km the second engine was replaced at 71,000km. I have now done 106,000km and so far so good. Mitsubishi have given me in writing that this engine will not suffer from the same fault that killed the previous two engines. I am getting confidence back in this car and still love it despite the issues that it has had
arternune

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:54 am

Good when things finally get sorted.

The last real weakness in combustion engines is the join between block and cylinder head. A lot of problems
could be eliminated if the head and block were machined out of a single casting, which should be easily achieved with all the CNC gear available.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:19 pm

arternune wrote:Just as a followup with my NM 2010 Triton
The first engine was replaced at 48,000km the second engine was replaced at 71,000km. I have now done 106,000km and so far so good. Mitsubishi have given me in writing that this engine will not suffer from the same fault that killed the previous two engines. I am getting confidence back in this car and still love it despite the issues that it has had

Good luck with that.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:48 am

If your radiatiors are shagged, don't waste your money on genuine. I got a Koyo 28mm core (from memory) after market unit for around $300 delivered. Looks and feels good quality.

Interesting point during discussion with supplier, was that cross flow units are prone to clogging up in the lower tubes over time, even though only coolant being put in.

So my suggestion, if you're reaching higher kms on the clock, may be worth replacement. My new unit, using only an electric fan has so far comfortably coped with the recent hot weather, including city driving.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MarkoMN on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:40 pm

Had my 2013 mn in at the dealer for the last 2 weeks and was told today that MMA has approved a new long motor to go into the car. What is the difference between a long and short motor? Anyhow all I can say it keep pushing them to get it sorted I have been driving my time mob for over a year waiting for the next service with the coolant dropping and me topping it up until the next service to get it pressure tested again, (first one was fine) and the failed the last 3 should have the new motor in and installed by next Friday if all goes well. Goes to show that there are still issue out there and to just be persistent! Thanks for all the info has helped me when talking to the dealer so they know I know what is going on and what I’m talking about!!! Winning ! Oh and car just hit 60000kms
Own a MQ 2016 GLS
Owned an MN - Sold
MarkoMN

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components