Cooling System Service Campaign

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Overheating MN Triton

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:14 pm

FreeFall_801 wrote:I have some sneaky info for you all. This is what the service advisors have been given. My understanding and that of the adviser where the info came from is that it started as a service campaign but has now been changed to a recall. Which would tie in with CD saying that they are going to contact their owners database.

"Description of Problem and Prevention
 MMC has advised that Triton and Challenger equipped with 4D56 High-Power engines may
exhibit a symptom of overheat caused by the loss of coolant.
 As preventive action, the following corrective measures are implemented.
Replacing the radiator cap with a high-valve-opening-pressure type (raising the boiling point)
Replacing the coolant (To increase concentration from 30% to concentration 50%)
Reprogram of ECU (for early detection of coolant loss to prevent damage to the engine.)
Cause
 Engine overheat may occur due to excessive loss of coolant that may be caused by repetitive
coolant evaporation.
 Localised coolant evaporation could also occur after high load driving such as towing heavy
cargo.
 Also, if the sealing condition is not adequate at the upper surface of cylinder block (due to the
surface roughness) engine coolant blow-by may occur promoting overheat.
Production Fix
 Radiator cap valve opening pressure changed from 109kPa to 127kPa effective 21/02/2014
 Coolant concentration changed from 30% to 50% effective 22/11/2013
 ECU program changed to add coolant loss detection function (CEL*-on and engine output
restriction in case of detecting coolant loss) effective 09/09/2013
CEL*=“Check Engine Lamp”
 Improved smoothness of upper surface of cylinder block for engines built on and after
18/03/2014 (engine number 4D56 UCFA9504 onwards)"

That's a very interesting checklist
Seems that they have been active on the production side of things for a while, again backed up by the poster a few above with a 2015 model already fitted with the higher capacity cap

Like how we are nearly 18 months into better block smoothness for example
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby lazarus on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:23 pm

18 months?

Where did you find 18 months?
MY2013 MN GLX-R Auto, diff lock, diff breathers, bash plates, tub liner, reversing sensors, Safari snorkel, BFG KM2 M/T, Rhino Pioneer roof platform, Caddy Alpha Canopy, Dual Battery, Waeco CFX-50, Air Compressor ...
lazarus

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:37 pm

I think he read that last 2014 date as being 2013 like one of the earlier figures cited.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby bodia on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:48 pm

How does everyone feel about having an engine without the improved smoothness? read as more likely to blow a head gasket!!
bodia

Postby lazarus on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Piss*ed ...
MY2013 MN GLX-R Auto, diff lock, diff breathers, bash plates, tub liner, reversing sensors, Safari snorkel, BFG KM2 M/T, Rhino Pioneer roof platform, Caddy Alpha Canopy, Dual Battery, Waeco CFX-50, Air Compressor ...
lazarus

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 pm

I'm choosing to read that as variability - so some are rougher than they should be but not all.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Rumchaser on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 pm

bodia wrote:How does everyone feel about having an engine without the improved smoothness? read as more likely to blow a head gasket!!

That I should have waited another 6 months to buy mine lol
I'm happy enough atm and as long as they're prepared to fix it if there's a problem I'm fine with that as long as it's not dragged out for months
Rumchaser

Postby v8slrtorana on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:05 pm

^I don't feel worried at all.
I live in the troppics and i tow. Checked my coolant level tonight as i haven't responded to MMAL yet and she is spot on.

I have been driving for over 1/2 my life. Up till this Triton ive never put any of my cars into a mechanic for any reason.
Checking coolant level is just something im used to doing :|
Better to be safe, then sorry.
v8slrtorana
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bodia on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:09 pm

Mine came back all good today but after 70k they arent going to be able to test anything beyond what I have put it through which at the end of the day just means I may or may not have a problem. I had a valuation done and changeover cost is suprisingly good on a brand new one with 5 more years warranty!! (bought mine second hand)
bodia

Postby Homer on Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:49 am

The finish on the block tends to fit nicely with the worn tooling that we were originally told.

That means that only blocks that were machined at the very end of the tool life have a potential to have this flaw.

That cuts the odds significantly and also allows them to reasonably accurately predict the vin's that will be more subject to this type of failure. To their credit they seem to be willing to test the lot of them 8-)

It's a much better scenario than many of the other brands with problem clutches and engines throughout the range that hide the problem and don't consider giving warranty.
At least Mits have investigated it properly and instigated fair and reasonable processes to both test and replace any car with this problem.
Many manufacturers just call it wear and tear and other excuses and void warranty until it is taken higher.

I have to say I am more impressed with Mitsubishi from this unfortunate situation than I ever was beforehand.

You also have to consider that they went out and replaced quite a lot of engines on vehicles they knew were perfectly good, just so they could test the difference in surface finish - at their cost 8-)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby OffRoadDave on Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:08 am

bodia wrote:How does everyone feel about having an engine without the improved smoothness? read as more likely to blow a head gasket!!

Not real happy, just what I need is a seed in the mind that's always going to have me wondering, it's the same as driving a 3.0 Nissan hand grenade in my opinion.
OffRoadDave

Postby Naff on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:07 am

I liken the testing that Mitsubishi will do to that which we do on pipelines in the construction industry. That is, we test them beyond their designated operational pressure. Typically 1.5 times, but sometimes up to 6 times depending on the process medium. If you are going to have a failure, you will see it in the testing process.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ranga Tang on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:50 am

Here's the bottom of a service docket from a mate at work who's just had his done as part of his 1500 service. Mine's booked in for the 6th Nov. They need the car for only one day.
Click to view larger picture

Wonder what the Leaf spring silencer kit is? Mine squeak like a mofo all the time, even spraying with Lanox only works for a little bit.
You can't have manslaughter without laughter.
Ranga Tang

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:40 am

They did well to get 6 litres of coolant into it but last time I looked the total capacity is about 8.8 litres. Near impossible to drain them properly though unfortunately.

'Evaporation' of coolant is an interesting choice of words for a closed system.

Cowboy Dave

Postby nf09 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:30 am

Just got mine booked in at the dealer for this recall on the 18th, earliest they could do it.

I did notice the other day though when under the bonnet that the coolant level was low in the bottle, will keep an eye on this over the next month until it gets looked at. Anyone else noticed this?

My engine temps have all been fine according to in dash gauge and haven't had any other issues but could be a sign of the issue that this recall is about?
nf09

Postby borngeek on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:35 am

Repetitive coolant evaporation.
Tick tock :lol:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:24 am

Don't rely on the dash temperature gauge. By the time it moves it could be too late. I would top up the coolant bottle and check the radiator (when cold). Better safe than sorry. If you don't have the right coolant just add demineralised water since you're only a couple of weeks from the checkup.

Cowboy Dave

Postby biggibbo on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:24 am

I have largely ignored this thread, however I looked under the hood today and the colant bottle is dry. I checked it just before the outback trip and it was dry then, so refilled and have not thought about it again till i read this thread this morn.

I have an alarm set on the ultra guage at 105c and it went off a few times on the trip, mind you it was hot outside and lugging nearly 2Tonne - once I slowed back down and backed off a bit the temps returned to normalish.

I am now starting to worry, as the ute is out of warranty - spewing.
biggibbo

Postby al coholic on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:31 am

nf09 wrote: recall

CD must be bashing his head on the desk by now :lol: :lol:

nf09 - the temp gauge on the dash is only a dummy gauge, it will only move if there is a problem (ie overheating) it is not progressive, the needle won't budge if your water temps rise 10 or even 20 over normal operating temp.

A scan gauge or similar is the only way to monitor water temps accurately ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:35 am

al coholic wrote:

I can't reach the desk from where I am curled up on the floor in the corner sucking my thumb :cry:

Cowboy Dave

Postby nf09 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:10 pm

al coholic wrote:

nf09 - the temp gauge on the dash is only a dummy gauge, it will only move if there is a problem (ie overheating) it is not progressive, the needle won't budge if your water temps rise 10 or even 20 over normal operating temp.

A scan gauge or similar is the only way to monitor water temps accurately ;)

and thats the sort of useful info you can get on here. cheers for the heads up. will top it up and let them know when i drop it off at the dealer. cheers
nf09

Postby kingy on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Can u set an alarm on the scangauge? Or is that only a option for the ultra gauge
kingy
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby flyreels on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:03 pm

What I would like to know is why they are testing ones built after the dates listed which are supposed to have the better block surfacing and the new radiator caps and coolent mix?
flyreels

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Tex thanks for moving all the stuff over. Reckon I could have done without the comedians with the underpowered MLs but I guess it's hard to be too selective about it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Homer on Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:56 pm

They were the best bits :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components