Cooling System Service Campaign

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby bodia on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:34 pm

One thing people may not be considering is historically the 4d56 has had head gasket issues! Combine an engine with a pre existing issue with a another issue you will start to see a few. Oh and by historically I mean for the last 20 years
bodia

Postby Stoneman on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:39 am

Bill, perfectly said and my opinion exatly!

Doesn't even own a MN! :roll:
Stoneman

Postby Naff on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:12 am

So how many of you would go and buy a MN second hand without knowing the history of what has been done around this campaign and without knowing the history of the vehicle?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:43 am

Naff wrote:So how many of you would go and buy a MN second hand without knowing the history of what has been done around this campaign and without knowing the history of the vehicle?

I would, as IMHO the service history of any vehicle is too easy to fabricate, and the extent of the problem has still not been established. If facts come to light, from the manufacturer, or some other reputable agency, then perhaps I might change my mind. Until then, this is no more of an issue than the Hilux injector problem, or the BT50/Ranger oil pump issue.

As we all know, every second hand vehicle has the potential to be a lemon. I once bought a vehicle in great condition, with a reco engine (documented) and 2 weeks later it shat itself. Turned out the previous owner had split a hose and cooked the engine. It was dodged up with Chemiweld and sold, but the rings had lost their tension and the bore was glazed. Reco engine (in typical fashion) was already max oversize on the bore, and wouldn't even take a hone. It was a throwaway.

I also know a particular company that buys a brand new Hilux fleet every 3 years, and they don't even get one service :cry: They do, however, get a stamp in the book. On 5 vehicles, that do a fair few km, they save a fortune. They change the oil and detail them before selling them online :shock:

The automotive industry is full of these sort of situations, imagine if you were one of the poor bastards that bought an LS1 equipped Holden, that happened to be one of the oil consumers. What about if you buy a late-model FSI equipped VW that you have to top up with oil every thousand or so KM?

The second hand car market is a lottery, pure and simple.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:14 am

First question when looking at preowned vehicles is; why is it on the market?

Possible reasons, Simply got a good job and can afford regular updates
Change in vehicle spec required
Lost job or licence for long time
Repaired after serious bingle damage
Mechanical issues/lemon

I've been pretty happy how my son's 09 mn performs, auto shifts OK, engine smooth & quiet once warmed up, interior and bodyly good.

At 180k on the clock now the original suspension is shot, just like my ml, rear shockers even look original. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:15 am

Stoneman wrote:Bill, perfectly said and my opinion exatly!

It's possibly best you don't post at all, Stoneman.

-- Bill, I am not going to quote your entire post as that would be annoying, so bear with me here.

I don't need to own a 2.5 to know it's a massive problem, as you've conceded it is. Only said it is unlikely you would get a long engine from MMAL given they are outside the production period. Some things are actual fact, evidenced. Yes opinions based upon them.

My early on stab was just that before I didn't actually think it is at all funny when friends that own them had them fail and got shoved through the system. Do i need to detail that?

This is happening and saying you can rely on that engine to not fail is unreasonable. There is plenty of posts here to support my opinion... Unfortunately you have nothing to say I am wrong. Go ask mitsubishi and get stonewalled, you will get nowhere- because they have a legal team that will eat you for breakfast. ;)

//Doesn't help your resale value, but they are cheap enough to begin with. Is a good secret though. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:26 am

borngeek wrote:Unfortunately you have nothing to say I am wrong.

//Doesn't help your resale value:

Geek, You have not substantiated that you are correct either. Just because you say so, doesn't make it so.
Put up or shut up.

You carrying on doesn't help the resale value either.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:38 am

Would the posts of people having two engines replaced be able to be admitted as substantiating my claim? We can then move on to radiators that pop after the atomic radiator cap...

Just asking as those post are really easy to find. :lol:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:40 am

borngeek wrote:

It's possibly best you don't post at all, Stoneman.

-- Bill, I am not going to quote your entire post as that would be annoying, so bear with me here.

I don't need to own a 2.5 to know it's a massive problem, as you've conceded it is. Only said it is unlikely you would get a long engine from MMAL given they are outside the production period. Some things are actual fact, evidenced. Yes opinions based upon them.

My early on stab was just that before I didn't actually think it is at all funny when friends that own them had them fail and got shoved through the system. Do i need to detail that?

This is happening and saying you can rely on that engine to not fail is a a load of shit. They're {censored} - that will confuse the moderators for 30 seconds... All of them. There is plenty of posts here to support my opinion... Unfortunately you have nothing to say I am wrong. Go ask mitsubishi and get stonewalled, you will get nowhere- because they have a legal team that will eat you for breakfast. ;)

//Doesn't help your resale value, but they are cheap enough to begin with. Is a good secret though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps you should also brush up on your comprehension skills, I'm not saying that the issue is massive, in fact, I have gone to great lengths to establish my argument that the extent of the problem is unknown, and unquantifiable.

Just because you keep saying every engine will fail, it doesn't make it any truer since the last time you mentioned it. Your concern for my engine is noted, however unfounded those concerns may or may not be.

You have no concept of my ability to deal with Mitsubishi, it's just that up till now I haven't had the time to devote to this matter that it fully deserves. A large corporate legal team can actually be a hindrance when trying to respond to a targeted, swiftly evolving campaign.

You are very good at making unfounded assumptions, and dressing them up as facts.

By resorting to cheap dismissals of Stoneman's opinion, you do nothing to enhance your own credibility.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:31 am

BillMcQuade wrote:Perhaps you should also brush up on your comprehension skills

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Possibly, but it doesn't change the facts does it? ;)

Credibility is a weird thing to say. Given the evidence points to me actually being right and not the other way around. Are you supporting that because I don't own one my input is irrelevant? :roll:

This bores me now, tick tick tick tick boom. :lol:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX58 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:39 am

borngeek wrote:

It's possibly best you don't post at all, stoner.

This is happening and saying you can rely on that engine to not fail is unreasonable. There is plenty of posts here to support my opinion... Unfortunately you have nothing to say I am wrong. Go ask mitsubishi and get stonewalled, you will get nowhere- because they have a legal team that will eat you for breakfast. ;)

Exactly what right do you have to tell another member to basically shut up? Do you think because you've been around for awhile you perhaps own the place?

Your silence on the reasons behind your obsession with this is pretty deafening. Frankly, its clear to all and sundry mate that you have some kind of agenda, you've been at this for years now and your attention to this is just not normal. Tho your dedication to your cause is impressive. The thing is, it's hard to figure why you carry one so much about this as there is no logical reason, though you do seem to know well about 'buyers confirmation' (is it that simple?). Yes, its a issue, a big one (particularly if you're affected!). Yes, mitsu are w*nkers about it. Yes, we don't know how many are affected. But your continual carry on and recent attempts to flare this up again with absolutely no evidence behind you are now just absurd. It hilarious you think you hold definitive evidence.

Do you actually really just want an MN and can't afford one? Ill pass the hat around and get you one if you like as I'm worried about your ongoing health now.

Seriously? we're going to conspiracy theories now :roll:
GLX58

Postby borngeek on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:49 am

Hahaha yer buy me a MN that's what I want

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX58 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:55 am

borngeek wrote:Hahaha yer buy me a MN that's what I want

No problem mate. Happy to help out a NTN member! If others pitch to the total price in ill donate $500 to the cause. Any takers to help this poor guy out?
GLX58

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:01 am

$500 should nearly be enough the way this is going.

Anyone else just get a MMAL promotional email about the great Aussie roadtrip?

I don't think they're going to like my reply.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby borngeek on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:04 am

$500 seems a little rich for a burner?

Get me one it will make a good video.

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:14 am

I'm gunner need more popcorn! This is hilarious! [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Can we see your reply to MMAL, CD?
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:22 am

The reason I find this so amusing is that you're all equally being as stupid as one another.

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:34 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Anyone else just get a MMAL promotional email about the great Aussie roadtrip?

Yeah, with MY17 Pajero details. Euro5, power down 6kW and diff ratios down to 3.6, from 3.9. Even MNs will beat them now. :(

Maybe I should change my sig line to "Sucks to be you; glad I bought an NW" :lol:
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Jacobie on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:05 pm

srb wrote:I'm gunner need more popcorn! This is hilarious! [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Got Plenty here mate, I'm onto my second batch already.
2013 MN GLX-R

Build Thread: Jacobie's 2013 MN GLX-R
Jacobie

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:22 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:Anyone else just get a MMAL promotional email about the great Aussie roadtrip?

Yeah, with MY17 Pajero details. Euro5, power down 6kW and diff ratios down to 3.6, from 3.9. Even MNs will beat them now. :(

Maybe I should change my sig line to "Sucks to be you; glad I bought an NW" :lol:

Someone in their marketing department either has a sick sense of humour or needs to be shot. Airbag recall combined with this image in the latest email? Not sure what all that white stuff is around the "play" symbol but it didn't take long for me to picture the metal flying out of my airbag and combine it with them talking about getting under the metal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby srb on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Yeah Mitsubishi have lost the plot... Doubt I'd ever buy another.

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ronnieq on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:34 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:

Maybe I should change my sig line to "Sucks to be you; glad I bought an NW"

The MN would probably beat the Pajero now.
You could only varify this by racing over the standing quarter mile, any further there is high chance that any MN Triton would blow up before finishing.
This estimate is based purely on using the same algorithms as Borngeek has used for his calculations.

Maintain the rage Geek I am with you.

Tick Tick Boom

Loving my new FJ Cruiser.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
I asked an old bike racer once "When I grow up if I could ride motorcyles ?" He said "You can't do both young fella !"
ronnieq

Postby srb on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:35 pm

An Fj Cruiser ay.. That's another word for dog shit wrapped in cat shit!

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby strangeblue on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:53 pm

I'm not sure the recent discussion in this thread is helpful or productive. I came to this forum because of this particular issue and have consequently learnt so much more about my vehicle and problem solved many other issues. I have a replacement motor and radiator after having one of the defective ones but I have used the knowledge on this forum to take steps to mitigate any future risk and to be fully prepared to recognise any issues early. This is a great resource.

However I don't think a pissing contest helps anybody.
strangeblue

Postby borngeek on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:00 pm

That's what the forum is about strangeblue.

Don't let people being passionate about a topic ruin that for you, enjoy your car.

Hopefully I will have one soon too, unless he just made it up.

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components