Cooling System Service Campaign

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:14 pm

strangeblue wrote:This is a great resource.

However I don't think a pissing contest helps anybody.

Quite true but this thread is at nearly 1600 posts now and letting off a little steam ( :D ) won't hurt, so long as it doesn't get out of control, which it won't. As borngeek pointed out, we are passionate about our cars and, as in any group, there will always be some differing opinions. In the meantime, even in this little digression, there have been some interesting posts.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:09 pm

At least the people on this forum know how to be uncivil to each other, whilst remaining polite :lol:
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bigjobs on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:31 am

Of all the Triton owners I've met in the real world, none were aware of the actual reason behind the service campaign.

We forum members make up a tiny percentage of owners and for that I suppose Mitsubishi would be grateful.

You don't know what you don't know and it's a shame that Mitsubishi haven't been more forthcoming with it's customers but what company is, right?

As for the recent heated discussion, keep it coming I say.

I hope we all keep on discussing this, as others have said, it's only natural that owners can get a bit upset and need to vent.

It's great to have this thread with all it's information, along with people's opinions/feelings, available for those interested in the matter.

It's a cause for serious concern and casts doubt on reliability, not just in the long term but short term as well.

Remember, this issue is on going.
bigjobs

Postby Krossbain on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:14 am

As bigjobs said most MN Triton owners are blissfully unaware of all this... I live in two worlds apparently, read of MNs blowing up regularly here, so much so that I am paronoid driving mine, watching scanguage, level of coolant etc and not truly enjoying a cheap second hand vehicle that has paid for itself already... good economy, reasonable towing power... does all I ask of it.

In the outside world I have friends, family, other farmers with them, no one yet has had a problem or even knows of service campaign or overheating problem . They just drive them ...Out of interest I always ask hows the Triton and I'm guessing around 20 people and always the same answer... Great!

Talk to 4wd enthusiasts, well thats a different story... What were you thinking buying a Mitsi?... Triton heap of shit etc... they can recite every opposition vehicles faults off by heart.

This forum has taught me so much but sometimes I wish I was as ignorant as my other Triton owning acquaintances so if something bad happened I'd have just put it down to bad luck... if it happened...
You get what you pay for... thats if your lucky!!
Krossbain
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:50 pm

Thread re-opened. If it goes off the rails again I'll be giving away free holidays.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby kxboss on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:10 pm

Just heard from MMal second replacement motor approved and ordered, long motor they say.
But will not install until dealer dismantles old one and identifies what the problem is , didn't replace head last time. is the problem.
kxboss

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Hi folks. My 2011 MN Triton went in for the recall a few months ago and all seemed to be good, until two days ago. We went on a fishing trip into the mountains towing my camper, which I'd done before a few times. The weather wasn't exceptionally hot, around 20 odd degrees. Going up a long hill I could smell something odd but it disappeared once we got over the top. Once we got to the lakeside I stopped the car and heard a weird sound and investigated, to find the water bubbling into the overflow bottle through the radiator cap. Now, considering the temperature gauge hadn't moved much from the normal [about a couple of needle widths above half way] and we'd only cruised slowly downhill through the scrub to get to the water's edge, it shouldn't have been that hot. I am guessing this is the first sign that the engine could be one of the faulty ones, as it only has 165,000 km on it.
I don't want to take it in during the holidays as I won't have anything to camping with, but at the same time it is going to be a risk to drive it in 30+ degree heat towing the camper, so I am torn between the two options.
I guess I will call the dealer when they reopen and see what they think is the best way to proceed. I'll update you guys on what happens.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:37 am

wildturkeycanoe wrote:Hi folks. My 2011 MN Triton went in for the recall a few months ago and all seemed to be good, until two days ago. We went on a fishing trip into the mountains towing my camper, which I'd done before a few times. The weather wasn't exceptionally hot, around 20 odd degrees. Going up a long hill I could smell something odd but it disappeared once we got over the top. Once we got to the lakeside I stopped the car and heard a weird sound and investigated, to find the water bubbling into the overflow bottle through the radiator cap. Now, considering the temperature gauge hadn't moved much from the normal [about a couple of needle widths above half way] and we'd only cruised slowly downhill through the scrub to get to the water's edge, it shouldn't have been that hot. I am guessing this is the first sign that the engine could be one of the faulty ones, as it only has 165,000 km on it.
I don't want to take it in during the holidays as I won't have anything to camping with, but at the same time it is going to be a risk to drive it in 30+ degree heat towing the camper, so I am torn between the two options.
I guess I will call the dealer when they reopen and see what they think is the best way to proceed. I'll update you guys on what happens.

This is why MMAL have to come to the party with info. When you can't even trust your vehicle to survive a holiday, what hope have you got. :evil:

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:44 am

I've kept out of this but do we need to hear daily the whinging about what or who should be to blame for the continuing engine failures .
MMAL or any other manufacturer in the world will never give out sensitive and private info in regard to failures of any nature and really, why should they. I've had my engine replaced after a little battle and was originally left with a bad taste in my mouth but I've since regained a little confidence back with this engine. I've put just over 40k km's in a year on it and driven it like it was stolen every day.
If you are unfortunate enough to have any of the symptoms explained within the 1st few pages of this exhausted thread then just let your nearest Mitsubishi dealer sort it for you.
You only have to go and browse through the ACCC list of safety recalls and just about all of the modern day vehicles have been recalled for various problems, sure some worse than others but at least they all acknowledge there faults and don't try and hide them.

@ wildturkeycanoe , I wouldn't risk driving it until it was checked mate as you are over the warranted km's. Mine went at 168k and I was lucky to get a replacement so I feel hopeful you would to if it does turn out to be a porous block. Your biggest hurdle will be the proven service history and if it's all up to date as per the book you should be fine. Keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:22 am

Everyone has a limit to the amount of BS that they will cop, and now you have hit yours. My threshold was lower :lol: I just got sick of the rumour mill every time I got on the forum. I'm already sick of the MQ bashing that has started.

My contention is that the problem is not widespread, and some simple facts would nip all this BS in the bud. No-one is asking for MMAL to hang themselves out to dry over the issue, a simple answer of "We sold XXXX quantity of MN Tritons, and XXXX quantity have had an engine failure".

Look what happened with Samsung and their washing machines (plus the Galaxy Note 7). It cost them billions to recall everything, but they owned up to the issue, and dealt with it. The automotive industry gets a free pass in this country, and I don't think that's fair. You only have to look at the difference between VW's responses to American and Australian buyers to realise this.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:28 am

Also I think Har05l's post raises (unintentionally) another issue.

MMAL has taken the view that they are entitled to consider your service history etc if you're outside their warranty period. My view is that is entirely incorrect. If the engine has the known defect, they have to replace it, no ifs or buts. I've seen no suggestion anywhere to say that the manner of servicing contributes to this problem. So why is this discretion introduced? And why do they get to pick and choose whether they pay for a loan car and so on?

Some more information would give people a better chance on these issues and people wouldn't be left out of pocket or having to have battles of any sort to get things sorted out.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby srb on Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:54 am

BillMcQuade wrote:Everyone has a limit to the amount of BS that they will cop, and now you have hit yours. My threshold was lower I just got sick of the rumour mill every time I got on the forum. I'm already sick of the MQ bashing that has started.

My contention is that the problem is not widespread, and some simple facts would nip all this BS in the bud. No-one is asking for MMAL to hang themselves out to dry over the issue, a simple answer of "We sold XXXX quantity of MN Tritons, and XXXX quantity have had an engine failure".

Look what happened with Samsung and their washing machines (plus the Galaxy Note 7). It cost them billions to recall everything, but they owned up to the issue, and dealt with it. The automotive industry gets a free pass in this country, and I don't think that's fair. You only have to look at the difference between VW's responses to American and Australian buyers to realise this.

I'm not really seeing the so called "MQ bashing"? nobody is calling it pos? And the overheating rumours are just caused by the lack of faith from the MN failures.

I do agree with your contention towards MMAL though. If they did release a bit more information regarding numbers it would go along way. But they never will if nobody is asking.

Cowboy Dave wrote:Also I think Har05l's post raises (unintentionally) another issue.

MMAL has taken the view that they are entitled to consider your service history etc if you're outside their warranty period. My view is that is entirely incorrect. If the engine has the known defect, they have to replace it, no ifs or buts. I've seen no suggestion anywhere to say that the manner of servicing contributes to this problem. So why is this discretion introduced? And why do they get to pick and choose whether they pay for a loan car and so on?

Some more information would give people a better chance on these issues and people wouldn't be left out of pocket or having to have battles of any sort to get things sorted out.

This's exactly why I hate MMAL!
And I'll continue to hate on them until they stop stuffing their loyal customers around.

Customers like Har05l (out of warranty) shouldn't have to battle MMAL like he did to get a replacement engine... They have no right to reject a warranty claim when it's a know fault. Doesn't matter if the vehicle is outside the manufacturers warranty period or no service history at all.

Unfortunately this is how most large companies operate.

Imo MMAL don't deserve the privilege to advertise on this forum. Just saying.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Colsha on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:44 pm

I've largely ignored this thread as I got the service campaign done ages ago and thought it was done and dusted. I went to Bribie when the beach was pretty churned up recently and had some overheating issues - the temp gauge rose above half way but not more than half way to the top. Having read a lot of this thread now I realise that if the standard gauge moves at all then there is a problem. I could smell an odour that I knew wasnt normal but didnt recognize and the auto gearbox wouldn't change gears when put into manual until I stopped and let it all cool down. No warning lights at all.

I just had a look at my coolant tank and it's bone dry.. I guess I should take it in to Mitsubishi and have the indicator recall taken care of and have them look at this as well. In the meantime what should I use to fill the coolant reservoir? Distilled water? I'm just under 130k and haven't had any other issues.
Colsha

Postby har05l on Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:17 pm

Colsha, I'd just top it up with a little water for the mean time as it'll mix fine with the coolant and have it checked as soon as you can. I'd also invest in a scan gauge or similar for more accurate readings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SLIMaxPower on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:30 pm

My ultraguage today showed 97C engine temp, and 96C another time. Sat there for a good 5 minutes then slowly went down. Usually sits on 89C whether its 4C outside or 40C.

Ute tows daily with a wide range of driving conditions from city. driving to 90 minute freeway runs.

Its a MY14 and has had the campaign done.