Cooling System Service Campaign

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Chewbac on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Have any 2009 models had the overheating issue ?
Chewbac

Re: Warranty Refusal.

Postby Meiersy on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Re bumping. I have a 2011 MN 2.5ltr. Today it overheated after 25 minutes of soft highway driving. It was leaking coolant out the overflow bottle. No hoses came off, no belts loose. From the research I gathered online apparently its a head gasket as combustion gasses enter the cooling system pushing the coolant into the overflow. Apparently some people have been given new engines due to this as there was a "service campaign" and still issues after it? Anyone know any further or had any luck? As on Monday Mitsi are assessing it and I want to push for a new engine.

The car had been taken to the service campaign and shows in the logbook.

Cheers.
Meiersy

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Chewbac, MY09 is ML, so 3.2l 4m41 engine. This problem is related only to the 4D56 2.5l motor.

Meiersy, moved your post here since it has absolutely nothing to do with warranty refusal, at least at this stage. Read through this thread - your questions will all be answered.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby snakesoup on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:26 am

5th I think I used to own an 09 MN , think MN came out 09-09
snakesoup

Postby gregned on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:03 am

I owned a 09 MN too, but the 09 MN is a MY10.
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:33 am

Yep, both correct. MY09 was ML, MY10 was MN with build dates from very late 2009 and released early 2010, February, IIRC.

Chewbac wasn't very clear on whether "2009 model" meant model year or build date.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Chewbac on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:00 pm

I meant MN, the very first ones. Just wondering if they are the pick of the bunch of MN's.
Chewbac

Postby ronnieq on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:04 pm

I had a MY10 MN delivered in November 2009. Pick of the bunch if you want gearbox, clutch, scv, egr, turbo, intercooler hose and head gasket/block machining problems.
Not to mention terrible resale value, poor build quality and terrible suspension.
Outrageous servicing costs also.
Take a pick from that bunch.
Worst car I have ever owned.
As soon as it was out of warranty it was sold.
The cost of everything I had repaired under warranty was over
$20k.
Second hand buyers need to beware.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
I asked an old bike racer once "When I grow up if I could ride motorcyles ?" He said "You can't do both young fella !"
ronnieq

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:00 am

And yet my MN of similar age had none of those issues... Except the suspension, that was upgraded early on. Still using the original clutch, inter cooler hose, turbo, scv, gearbox etc etc. I do all my own servicing though and probably change oils and fluids more regularly than a dealer would. Also the quality of lubricants would likely be better too. I guess I was lucky... I still have the vehicle, it continues to serve me well.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:35 am

how many ks you up to longy?
snakesoup

Postby MN_Triton_Blue on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:58 am

Howdy, first ever post. Great reading this thread, helped me out alot. MN 11/09 second owner 161000kms. Coolant leaking near water pump out the front. Took into Local dealer and they stress tested it and within the day said they will replace with new long motor. No questions asked. Happy with my ute previously, and also happy with the replacement. I had kept the services up to date through a mechanic. I also had them replace the clutch as I tow an 18ft van, and it had troubles getting away on hills loaded. Took vehicle in Monday 8am and picked it up Friday 11:30am. Looking forward to getting another 160k out of it.
MN_Triton_Blue

Postby explorer.dave on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:05 am

MN_Triton_Blue wrote:Howdy, first ever post. Great reading this thread, helped me out alot. MN 11/09 second owner 161000kms. Coolant leaking near water pump out the front. Took into Local dealer and they stress tested it and within the day said they will replace with new long motor. No questions asked. Happy with my ute previously, and also happy with the replacement. I had kept the services up to date through a mechanic. I also had them replace the clutch as I tow an 18ft van, and it had troubles getting away on hills loaded. Took vehicle in Monday 8am and picked it up Friday 11:30am. Looking forward to getting another 160k out of it.

Loss of power, was this the clutch slipping or just no power generally? At 161K you would have carbon build-up if no clean/pre-emptive measures taken, and could easily explain the loss of power.
Good news about the motor, pleased for you it was a hassle free experience, welcome to the forum.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN_Triton_Blue on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:49 pm

It was the clutch slipping under load (with the van on taking off on a hill) had to feather it somewhat. Goes great on the highway with the van on. I had wondered about the manifold build up and was going to give it a clean. The dealer mentioned that if I don't get everything it could dislodge and end up behind the valves, but I'm not sure if he is fair dinkum or not?
MN_Triton_Blue

Postby Justrout on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:32 am

Hi just become aware of this issue!! My 2013 GLXR started playing up. I could smell coolant and kept checking for leaks. Nothing found. Driving to work one day and 15kms into the 25km trip the temp gauge was on stone cold!! I live in Tassie and it was a snowy morning in Hobart. The gauge then jumped up to normal. I checked everything all looked ok. A week later same thing then the temp just went up and onto the red. i stopped immediately and the coolant reservoir was boiling madly. I let it cool down for 20 minutes and rolled down the hill to the dealer. New engine. Car has been off the road for 4 weeks and no confirmed return date as yet. They are not replacing the cooling system, nor the turbo, just the block. Not happy as the vehicle has only done 83,000kms. It has been serviced regularly and had the recall done. Question is should I keep it or just get rid of the thing? I have noticed on several forums that even after replacement engines problems still continue. The dealer offered me $17,000 for the car - I said "how does get stuffed sound!"

This is my second Triton and my last. I tow a 5.5 metre boat up to the lakes and work as fly fishing guide, but i just don't have the confidence in the vehicle and really don't want to have issues with clients on board or as I head into some of the remote lakes in the highlands of Tassie.

Any advice appreciated on ongoing issues or opinions on keeping the Triton.

Cheers

J.
Justrout

Postby har05l on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Its a bit hit and miss Justrout as to how your new engine will go. It's been 2 years and 60k odd km's since mine was replaced and it's running like a dream.
If you've lost all confidence in the vehicle there's nobody here that'll change your mind in getting rid of it but be mindful most modern day vehicles are all the same it seams these days, it's luck of the draw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby explorer.dave on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:37 pm

A while back now it was all doom and gloom in this thread, seemed like every-ones engine was over-heating, reality was that it was a small number that had crook engines, and just about all where replaced by Mitsi without too much drama. Out of these there was even a smaller number that had repeat experiences. By then though Mitsi had pretty well figured out what exactly went wrong, and the engine range that could be suffering from the poor machining.
Now this has cost Mitsi quite considerably, not only financially but with reputational loss, some-thing that no car manufacturer wants. I would be genuinely surprised if they where still replacing bad motors with like.
If you have lost confidence in the reliability of your vehicle, then, so be it, but you should get a new motor out of this, and that's a lot more than some of the other car manufacturers are willing to do, so enjoy the new donk, and you should be able to with confidence.
By the way, my MN is in the range, I did suffer some doubts / lack of confidence, but decided not to worry, if it happens it happens, and I get a new motor.
Good luck with it all.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:44 pm

Ok so there is a a confirmed range now dave ? Whats the range mate ?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby explorer.dave on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:37 am

snakesoup wrote:Ok so there is a a confirmed range now dave ? Whats the range mate ?

No, I didn't state there was a confirmed range, wouldn't that be nice! but really doubt MMAL would ever publish that even if they did know. What I was alluding to was for every engine that has needed replacing via warranty, MMAL would have a VIN in their database, from the time the first engine popped to the point when the bad tooling of the block was discovered as the culprit.
We can assume that this poor tooling was corrected, as it would be to no-ones benefit not to.
Not every engine would have gone through the same machine, and this has probably been the biggest hurdle in identifying the bad engines, despite some claiming that every MN engine is a "tic tic boom".
I understand that this is a touchy subject for those that have had engines replaced, even more so for those that had multiple failures, but the fact is this thread has been pretty damn quite for a while now, and I still haven't seen hundreds of broken down Tri's on the road :lol:

explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby explorer.dave on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:31 am

Description of Problem and Prevention
 MMC has advised that Triton and Challenger equipped with 4D56 High-Power engines may
exhibit a symptom of overheat caused by the loss of coolant.
 As preventive action, the following corrective measures are implemented.
Replacing the radiator cap with a high-valve-opening-pressure type (raising the boiling point)
Replacing the coolant (To increase concentration from 30% to concentration 50%)
Reprogram of ECU (for early detection of coolant loss to prevent damage to the engine.)
Cause
 Engine overheat may occur due to excessive loss of coolant that may be caused by repetitive
coolant evaporation.
 Localised coolant evaporation could also occur after high load driving such as towing heavy
cargo.
 Also, if the sealing condition is not adequate at the upper surface of cylinder block (due to the
surface roughness) engine coolant blow-by may occur promoting overheat.
Production Fix
 Radiator cap valve opening pressure changed from 109kPa to 127kPa effective 21/02/2014
 Coolant concentration changed from 30% to 50% effective 22/11/2013
 ECU program changed to add coolant loss detection function (CEL*-on and engine output
restriction in case of detecting coolant loss) effective 09/09/2013
CEL*=“Check Engine Lamp”
Improved smoothness of upper surface of cylinder block for engines built on and after
18/03/2014 (engine number 4D56 UCFA9504 onwards)

explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Doug70 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi All,

I bought a 2013 MN GLXR from a local mechanic that had 77k on it back in Feb 2016 (He bought it brand new). The vehicle was in mint condition, all services completed, it had never been off road, (he runs a fleet of Mack Trucks nation wide which are all tidy and kept rigs), this was his wife's car and they were upgrading to a Landcruiser. I had the car for 3 months, the ABS light came on, it turned out to be the drivers seat belt harness which was replaced under warranty. Whilst there the recall was done on the coolant/radiator cap/overheating issue. About one month after that was done, I was driving to work and noticed the heaters stopped working, not once did the temp gauge move from its normal spot, I get to work and there was no coolant left in the overflow and none in the top of the radiator, which I topped up and took it to the local Mitsi dealer. The next morning I got a phone call saying motor was coming out, then later that day it was that I had the block failure and my VIN fell within the range of the faulty ones. So the fix was then a new short motor at 82K.

Anyway, after doing Simpson, Tanimi, Flinders, etc etc during the next 12 months, I got home from work about 8 weeks ago and could hear bubbles blowing, bloop, bloop, bloop, into the coolant bottle. I checked everything, it was full of coolant, no loss of power, heater worked fine still so I drove it for a week or so, then booked it in. 2 hours after dropping it off, I got the phone call, motor was coming out again as it looked like it was the same failure as last time. (By then I had just clocked over the 117K mark). I was given a brand new MQ 4wd loan car whilst they had to pull everything apart and report back to MMA. 2 days go by and I was informed that I was getting a complete long motor and that they needed it for a week as they were short on mechanics, which didn't really bother me as I had a brand newie to drive around. Anyway after getting it back I've just ticked over 125K now, and am contemplating whether to get rid of it or keep it, as it has a brand new, just run in donk, surely I can't be 3 times unlucky!!

I must commend MMA on their handling of this situation both times, never was anything in doubt. Id imagine the short motor fitted would be upwards of 5k, and the long the dealer said was around 10K, all of which he said gets charged to MMA, then back to the head company, plus me clocking up 1500km in the brand new loan triton whilst mine was getting fixed.

But long term, do I trust it not to do it again after it comes out of factory warranty which will happen this side of XMAS, with the KMS I'm doing atm???

For the record, I like the look of the MN over the MQ (it looks a bit girlie with the wrap around head and tail lights) but I like the extra go and improved economy of the new MQ motor, and dislike the higher sides of the rear tub.

I think I will keep it, just put an Ultimate 2" lift in, and am heading up the Flinders again next week with the kids whilst on school holidays.

Cheers,

Doug
Doug70

Postby snakesoup on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Thanks for sharing doug!

snakesoup

Postby snakesoup on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 pm

explorer.dave wrote:Description of Problem and Prevention
 MMC has advised that Triton and Challenger equipped with 4D56 High-Power engines may
Replacing the radiator cap with a high-valve-opening-pressure type (raising the boiling point)
Reprogram of ECU (for early detection of coolant loss to prevent damage to the engine.)
Cause
 Engine overheat may occur due to excessive loss of coolant that may be caused by repetitive
coolant evaporation.
 Localised coolant evaporation could also occur after high load driving such as towing heavy
cargo.
 Also, if the sealing condition is not adequate at the upper surface of cylinder block (due to the
Production Fix
 Radiator cap valve opening pressure changed from 109kPa to 127kPa effective 21/02/2014
 ECU program changed to add coolant loss detection function (CEL*-on and engine output
CEL*=“Check Engine Lamp”
Improved smoothness of upper surface of cylinder block for engines built on and after
Dave, how do you know there was more than one machine and that there was one machine/tooling that was faulty?

snakesoup

Postby srb on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:11 pm

Good story, Doug. Nice to see that your dealer got on with it and didn't stuff you around.

I'm a member of the crazy cynical group of... "ALL these engines are a fail", however, I also believe that very large percentage of these "tick tick boom" engines will have a very very long service life.

Now that you've decided to keep it, my advice would be to replace the 127kpa rad cap with the standard 109kpa and go purchase yourself a Scangauge or Ultragauge so you can monitor coolant temps closely. Temps should stay between 82 and 92 in normal driving.

The coolant system is actually very efficient on these engines but that can drastically change if air is trapped in the system. (these engines can be a bit of a pain to purged) If all the air hasn't been purged out correctly you could be experiencing higher than normal coolant temps.. Your dash board needle gauge won't detect it. Possibly why so many of these "engine replacements" like yours have failed.

I'm still on my original 5+yo engine with a 160k km's, my engine has been pushed hard most of its life and has never looked like using coolant. However in the very early days I did discover it had air in the cooling system. I purged it correctly and the system ran nearly 20 degrees cooler. I truly believe my engine would have failed by now if I hadn't of realised.

Good luck with the new engine, but definitely keep an eye on it.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Srb what method did you use to bleed her out?

snakesoup

Postby explorer.dave on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:54 am

snakesoup wrote:
explorer.dave wrote:Description of Problem and Prevention
Cause
coolant evaporation.
cargo.
Production Fix
CEL*=“Check Engine Lamp”
Dave, how do you know there was more than one machine and that there was one machine/tooling that was faulty?

I don't! And I never stated their was only one :? I do know there was definitely one, unless you know of more? Hence why I used singular, because stating any more would be making an assumption (not that I am not guilty of this) but I have no idea of the inner workings of the Thai plant so will keep it to what IS a definite.
My vehicle was produced (and most importantly the engine) when the bad tooling of the block come about, I have no idea at this point if my motor has this defect, certainly hasn't displayed any symptoms but that doesn't really mean much from what I have read. If the motor goes, so be it, I WILL get a new motor from MMAL, because they simply have no choice in this, I am protected under consumer laws and they have a legal obligation to fix the defect. And if I am unfortunate to have this happen I reckon (and making an assumption here) that the replacement will be defect free (I am talking about the block here), why, because the problem was identified and corrected back in March of 2014, I would rate my odds at getting a replacement defect engine as very slim indeed.
For those that want to bash an old horse (and I am not pointing any fingers at you snakesoup), I would suggest just moving on and replacing the vehicle with some-thing else, for me, I'm keeping the Tri, the worst that can happen? I get a new motor 8-)
EDIT:
Reading back on the posts I will clarify some-thing of what I have said;
I don't know if only one machine had bad tooling, nor do I know if multiple machines are used, and, had bad tooling. My assumption here is that for the number of vehicles produced, and economies of scale, more than one machine would be producing these blocks.
My other assumption, given the number of Tritons sold around this time and the number of reported failures, I don't believe every motor has this defect.

explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components