Cooling System Service Campaign

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby tritonliz on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:One day is to ensure the engine is cold the next day when they do the valve clearances

Last time Mitsubishi did my valve clearances they really messed up and the next day I lost a tank of diesel and they didn't even apologise or refill the tank. Usual great service from Mitsubishi Kirrawee, NOT.
tritonliz

Postby rodeddy on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Mine is due for 30K service ..... looks like i need pass on using Tynans at Kirrawee hey...
Anybody know of any good mechanics who know Tritons in the sutherland shire area ? :?:

tritonliz wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:One day is to ensure the engine is cold the next day when they do the valve clearances

Last time Mitsubishi did my valve clearances they really messed up and the next day I lost a tank of diesel and they didn't even apologise or refill the tank. Usual great service from Mitsubishi Kirrawee, NOT.
rodeddy

Postby hec on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:15 am

Wow you guys have had a reasnoble run out of tynans. My 15k capped price service was actually just a car wash! And several months later done the same thing to mate on his 15k service. No change of oil or filters either. Im not expecting to hear from them re the cooiling system service thats for sure!
hec

Postby morgstar on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:15 am

Hi guys,
new to the forum but after registering with Mitsubishi that I have just purchased a 2011 GLR I got this email a couple of hours later :

Please be advised your vehicle is not subject to a recall however there is a service campaign for your vehicle. This involves replacing the radiator cap and may involve replacement coolant and an ECU reprogramme. This is intended to reduce the risk of your vehicle overheating and can be performed at any Mitsubishi Dealership.

We respectfully request you present your vehicle to an authorised Mitsubishi Dealership, so that they can inspect your vehicle for the current Service Campaign.

M.
morgstar

Postby Ranga Tang on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:02 am

tritonliz wrote:
How is your dealer. Is it Mitsubishi in centre of Wollongong. I live in Sans Souci and have been going to Mitsubishi in Kirrawee and they are bloody useless. Was yours done as part of a service or did you just call and arrange it yourself?

Thanks

Yes it it. Gateway Motor group at Cholesterol Corner.

I rang up and booked mine in. So far, they've been ok, but some people have had mixed results with Gateway over the years.
All mine have been pretty well positive, including them getting the rust cut out of the roof under warranty.

I've had a Rodeo and now Triton serviced through them for the last seven years or so.
You can't have manslaughter without laughter.
Ranga Tang

Postby MN GLXR on Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:50 pm

So had mine today and get home and radiator drain tap at base on passenger side is leaking. Tightening does stop the drip..... far out!!!!!
MN GLXR

Postby hvac guy on Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Its that extra pressure
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodeddy on Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:28 pm

What!.. the 15K service is an oil + filter change .. what the hell !!
My real mechanic retired years ago and cant find another good one in the sutherland shire ..... as a retired panel beater i normally do ALL services myself once out of warranty - but i need the log book stamped ... does my head in to pay good money, so i can get someone to stuff up my service. so as to keep my warranty - how ironic !

hec wrote:Wow you guys have had a reasnoble run out of tynans. My 15k capped price service was actually just a car wash! And several months later done the same thing to mate on his 15k service. No change of oil or filters either. Im not expecting to hear from them re the cooiling system service thats for sure!
rodeddy

Postby MN GLXR on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:44 pm

hvac guy wrote:Its that extra pressure

What do you mean?
MN GLXR

Postby MN GLXR on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:49 pm

Click to view larger picture
MN GLXR

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:06 pm

The new radiator cap runs at a slightly higher pressure than the old one. It's more likely they've stuffed your tap somehow in the process. I assume that was you on facebook? Someone was suggesting o-rings or something. If it is dripping sitting in your driveway it will be worse when you're driving and it's holding pressure.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby MN GLXR on Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:20 pm

Ok thanks CD. Maybe thats why it did not leak in the workshop and started when I drove it home.
MN GLXR

Postby MacL3od on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:50 am

With these over heating worries I'm regretting the decision to get a 2nd hand 2010 glxr instead of the 2014 glx for a touch more lol.

Has anyone thought of installing an after market coolant temp gauge that is more accurate than the factory engine temp gauge? Or are most people happy to just use their scan tools? I don't like the idea of consistently checking the scan tool lol.
MacL3od

Postby Ranga Tang on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:58 am

I towed a 1300kg camper trailer in 44 degree heat from Taree to Newcastle with mine last summer, it was so hot the circuit breaker for the electric brakes tripped and we had to stop to let it cool. All this in bumper traffic.

Triton didn't miss a beat and lost no coolant.

Moral - don't panic, there's probably nothing wrong with yours or most of them, just a few. Like rolling a 500 side dice and having your number come up
You can't have manslaughter without laughter.
Ranga Tang

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:43 am

fRuItCaKe wrote:Moral - don't panic, there's probably nothing wrong with yours or most of them, just a few. Like rolling a 500 side dice and having your number come up

Sound advice. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby biggibbo on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:46 am

MacL3od wrote:With these over heating worries I'm regretting the decision to get a 2nd hand 2010 glxr instead of the 2014 glx for a touch more lol.

Has anyone thought of installing an after market coolant temp gauge that is more accurate than the factory engine temp gauge? Or are most people happy to just use their scan tools? I don't like the idea of consistently checking the scan tool lol.

If you get the ultra gauge scan tool,you can set an alarm-mines set for 105c. It beeps and shows a warning on screen if it hits that temp.

No need to watch the gauge, infact my display for temp is on another page
biggibbo

Postby snowman on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:48 am

MN GLXR wrote:Ok thanks CD. Maybe that's why it did not leak in the workshop and started when I drove it home.

yes there is a small 'o' ring on the plastic bung at the bottom of the radiator. if it is actually that that is leaking then wait until cold and if you can find a friend remove it and place their finger in the hole. check/replace the o ring and put it back in. you will probably only lose 100-200 mls of coolant. Make sure the radiator cap is ON when you do it.

obviously check it's tightness first but it is only plastic so don't swing off it.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MacL3od on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:39 pm

biggibbo wrote:If you get the ultra gauge scan tool,you can set an alarm-mines set for 105c. It beeps and shows a warning on screen if it hits that temp.

Where and how much? :D
MacL3od

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:46 pm

MacL3od wrote:
biggibbo wrote:If you get the ultra gauge scan tool,you can set an alarm-mines set for 105c. It beeps and shows a warning on screen if it hits that temp.

Ebay plenty of other sellers in Aust.
L200Shogun

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:58 pm

MacL3od wrote:

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Stumpy on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi all,

Had my 2010 GLXR auto into Mitsubishi a couple of weeks ago for the cooling campaign, I never had cooling issues in the past always sat between 82-85 degrees, since having it back it now sits between 88-92 degrees. I went back to mitsubishi and they said that's fine & it has been fine however today it was hot 35 degreese in Melbourne, I was cruising on the freeway 100kph and the temp started to get towards the 97 degree mark and the temp guage in the dash was up at 3/4 so I thought I better pull over and check it, as I turned off the cruise control all the lights come up on the dash and the car stalled the temp as I pulled over then went up as high as 112 degreese (I have a scan guage in the car) and the temp guage on the dash was right up near the red. I let it cool down (15mins) then when I went to start it was hard to start then when it did start it would not idle, I have to hold the RPM above 1200 to keep it from stalling. Got it to my mates place (only 5mins) from where I was & when I got there and tried to restart it was in Limp mode (would not rev above 2000rpm) and engine light was on, I disconnected the battery then reconnected the well it was out of limp mode but still won't idle and engine light is on, I run a scan but there has been a few different codes come up but the one fir the crank angle sensor has come up several times........ Does anyone have any ideas??
Stumpy

Postby AnOldFart on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:15 pm

Stumpy wrote:Hi all,

Had my 2010 GLXR auto into Mitsubishi a couple of weeks ago for the cooling campaign, I never had cooling issues in the past always sat between 82-85 degrees, since having it back it now sits between 88-92 degrees. I went back to mitsubishi and they said that's fine & it has been fine however today it was hot 35 degreese in Melbourne, I was cruising on the freeway 100kph and the temp started to get towards the 97 degree mark and the temp guage in the dash was up at 3/4 so I thought I better pull over and check it, as I turned off the cruise control all the lights come up on the dash and the car stalled the temp as I pulled over then went up as high as 112 degreese (I have a scan guage in the car) and the temp guage on the dash was right up near the red. I let it cool down (15mins) then when I went to start it was hard to start then when it did start it would not idle, I have to hold the RPM above 1200 to keep it from stalling. Got it to my mates place (only 5mins) from where I was & when I got there and tried to restart it was in Limp mode (would not rev above 2000rpm) and engine light was on, I disconnected the battery then reconnected the well it was out of limp mode but still won't idle and engine light is on, I run a scan but there has been a few different codes come up but the one fir the crank angle sensor has come up several times........ Does anyone have any ideas??

Yes, phone MMAL and get them to tow it to their nearest Dealer for investigation under warranty....!
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stumpy on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:19 pm

It's out of warranty unfortunately. I've done 165,000ks :?
Stumpy

Postby hvac guy on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:25 pm

That wont matter get on to it
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MN GLXR on Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:55 am

snowman wrote:
MN GLXR wrote:Ok thanks CD. Maybe that's why it did not leak in the workshop and started when I drove it home.

yes there is a small 'o' ring on the plastic bung at the bottom of the radiator. if it is actually that that is leaking then wait until cold and if you can find a friend remove it and place their finger in the hole. check/replace the o ring and put it back in. you will probably only lose 100-200 mls of coolant. Make sure the radiator cap is ON when you do it.

obviously check it's tightness first but it is only plastic so don't swing off it.

Cheers Snowman, I am more inclined to let Mitsubishi do it so they can't say I stuffed it up.
MN GLXR

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components