Cooling System Service Campaign

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby baito on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:03 am

Hmmm it seems i may be joining the problem motor group...

85000 on 2013 build, shes pumping the coolant out the overflow goin to mitsi moday.. see what happens
baito

Postby srb on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:56 pm

https://youtu.be/Wz_DNrKVrQ8

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby baito on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:00 pm

srb wrote:https://youtu.be/Wz_DNrKVrQ8

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

SRB you may not be far from the truth, spoke to the service manager and he said basically it will need a new engine, but to keep driving it till it becomes real bad and keep a record of the amount of coolant im putting in it (he gave me 5 liters)...

Told him im headed to the grampians over easter towing... what to do if it stops?... reply was mitsi roadside care will tow it to nearest service centre.... i think ill just keep topping it up and drive the [censored] till it stops... or trade it in?

Dunno what to do really, its been a great ute up till now.... even thought about trading the [censored] on a hilux...
baito

Postby baito on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Ok guys who have been down this road, how much fluid were you losing? Im losing about 100 to 300 ml a day i reckon... how long should i wait till i take it back to mitsi?

Cheers
baito

Postby Ozzybucket on Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:09 am

baito wrote:Ok guys who have been down this road, how much fluid were you losing? Im losing about 100 to 300 ml a day i reckon... how long should i wait till i take it back to mitsi?

Cheers

If its pumping coolant out the overflow it means that gas is escaping from the engine block into the water jacket. If you undo the radiator cap you'll hear bubbling back through the coolant reservoir. I'd ask them to replace the engine ASAP. If they don't come to the party, do as I did there is a proforma letter on the ACCC site, write a letter to the sales manager(not the service manager) of the dealership. I did this and suddenly I had a loan car and the engine replaced in a week.
Ozzybucket

Postby baito on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:45 pm

It soesnt pump it out while its running, once you turn it off if you undo the cap it will release alot of coolant out the overflow pipe.. and it will not suck coolant back into the radiator, but still losing a bit of coolant each day...
baito

Postby Ozzybucket on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:03 am

baito wrote:It soesnt pump it out while its running, once you turn it off if you undo the cap it will release alot of coolant out the overflow pipe.. and it will not suck coolant back into the radiator, but still losing a bit of coolant each day...

Mine only pumped out when towing and engine overheated. Mine also did not draw the coolant back into the radiator. There was also no coolant under the radiator cap and the gas bubbles back through when you release the cap. I now have a new motor, you take the cap off, no bubbling and coolant under cap the way it should be. As they can't guarantee it won't happen again, I could potentially have another defective engine only time will tell. They say oh your covered by a warranty. So as I can't trust this vehicle i'll be selling it with a mere 16000km on it and a new motor anyone interested? I certainly will not buy a Mitsubishi again.
Ozzybucket

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:55 pm

Failed "Sales Technique 101'. :lol:
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tonkaknot on Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Ive been looking at a 2012 PB XLS challenger but after reading all this I'm quite concerned.

It has done 168k so does that mean it would likely be one of the "ok" ones?

I am going to test drive it on Monday, is there anything I can do (without towing anything) to test for this issue and make it overheat?

Thanks in advance
tonkaknot

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:35 am

tonkaknot wrote:Ive been looking at a 2012 PB XLS challenger but after reading all this I'm quite concerned.

It has done 168k so does that mean it would likely be one of the "ok" ones?

I am going to test drive it on Monday, is there anything I can do (without towing anything) to test for this issue and make it overheat?

Thanks in advance

If the vehicle has all the fruit that you want, and presents well, take the plunge. Every vehicle on the market has potential issues (Google Hilux, Navara, Ranger, etc. problems). Don't bother trusting the logbooks or any service history. As soon as you buy it, get a full inspection, get every fluid changed, and do the timing belt/water pump. That way you are starting from a known point. You will probably enjoy years of happy motoring.

In my experience, any vehicle on the second hand market is a lucky dip. I have owned over 130 vehicles in the last 30 years (though I have slowed up a bit in the last decade :lol: ), and have driven well over 1,500,000km. In that time I have seen pretty much everything a second hand car can throw at me. Some have been awesome, some have been a money pit. Nowadays, when buying my "commuter", I look for a vehicle that is cosmetically good, and budget for significant repairs. I can do 99% of the work myself (can't gas up A/C), so I'm no longer afraid of the unknown...
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tonkaknot on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:03 am

BillMcQuade wrote:If the vehicle has all the fruit that you want, and presents well, take the plunge. Every vehicle on the market has potential issues (Google Hilux, Navara, Ranger, etc. problems). Don't bother trusting the logbooks or any service history. As soon as you buy it, get a full inspection, get every fluid changed, and do the timing belt/water pump. That way you are starting from a known point. You will probably enjoy years of happy motoring.

much appreciated, I have the car history report, will be looking at the service history when I'm there and have a pre-inspection organised.

I plan on taking it to a local Mitsi dealer once I have it purchased and will get them to do the safety check and replace fluids etc. as per your suggestions.
tonkaknot

Postby baito on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:05 pm

Ozzybucket wrote:
baito wrote:It soesnt pump it out while its running, once you turn it off if you undo the cap it will release alot of coolant out the overflow pipe.. and it will not suck coolant back into the radiator, but still losing a bit of coolant each day...

Mine only pumped out when towing and engine overheated. Mine also did not draw the coolant back into the radiator. There was also no coolant under the radiator cap and the gas bubbles back through when you release the cap. I now have a new motor, you take the cap off, no bubbling and coolant under cap the way it should be. As they can't guarantee it won't happen again, I could potentially have another defective engine only time will tell. They say oh your covered by a warranty. So as I can't trust this vehicle i'll be selling it with a mere 16000km on it and a new motor anyone interested? I certainly will not buy a Mitsubishi again.

Yep sounds very similar to mine mate, im thinking about just trading her in as is and starting again but it could happen with another car as well i guess....
baito

Postby ScottE on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Our 2014 MN model Triton has had 3 engines replaced. It has now just gone out of warranty. We have been to the Department of Fair Trading and the Tribunial and have had a new hearing date posted as no resolution was agreed too. Mitsubishi are coming to our our town next week to inspect the vehicle which has been fully serviced. They are suggesting the ARB bull bar as the cause of the issue. Has anyone had any success with Triton in replacing a vehicle with ongoing problems like ours? Thank you
ScottE

Postby ScottE on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:02 pm

:D
ScottE

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:15 pm

B...Hell!

On your fourth engine? What are the odds of having picked all crook engines?

You'd think a manufacturer would pull the head off a replacement engine before deployment, esp if a previous had failed.

ARB bar supposedly the cause? How many Tritons with bars aren't cooking the engine?

If the engines have been replaced at the same dealer, there could be a systemic issue with their work.

I'd be furious, demanding compensation for the downtime of the vehicle, stress and everything else a suitable legal eagle could get me.

As I've previously mentioned, my response to a Hyundai dealer years ago spruiking the 5yr warranty "When I purchase a vehicle, I intend to enjoy driving it....not visiting it up on a hoist!"
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:15 am

RHKTriton wrote:If the engines have been replaced at the same dealer, there could be a systemic issue with their work.

^^^ This.

I'm betting that the apprentice doesn't know how to bleed a cooling system.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jrs184 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:21 am

BillMcQuade wrote:
RHKTriton wrote:If the engines have been replaced at the same dealer, there could be a systemic issue with their work.

^^^ This.

could be simple as not turning the heater on when draining/changing the coolant
and expecting the air lock to self eliminate
jrs184

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:32 am

BillMcQuade wrote:

^^^ This.

I wonder how many engine failures could be attributed to improper bleeding. I'm sure the number is substantial. The 2.5 bleeding process takes time and patience which are two things likely to be missing at a busy dealership service department.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby furious on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:42 am

what is the proper bleeding process?
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:24 am

furious wrote:what is the proper bleeding process?

Pretty basic; make sure all the air is out of the system. It helps to elevate the front of the vehicle, and on a Diesel, kick the rves up a bit, and block off half the radiator flow with a piece of cardboard. I'm pretty sure that the heater on a Triton is full flow anyway, so it doesn't matter if it's on or off.

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:11 am

My old 84 VW Caravelle had to be elevated about 300mm above the engine to bleed the system. It also had a few strategic bleeder valves to release trapped air.

In normal practice, expansion & contraction of the coolant should get out the last bit of air, but I wonder if the recovery bottle on the triton is actually big enough. Compared to the ones on our little Suzuki's, which have not suffered any coolant loss in 8yrs, I'd be happier with a double in size.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby baito on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:23 pm

well lads.. tommorrow will be d day... im taking her back to mitsi as i have used 4.5lt of their coolant in 2.5 weeks... i towed my camper to the grampians last week and it got pretty hot going up hill.. i slowed down to 80 kph and pulled over when i had to.. scanguage temps were getting up there around 118... the factory guage didnt move till it hit 110 degrees and then it went to 3/4... if i didnt have a scan guage it probly would have cooked it....

i pulled over and added coolant twice, got two check engine lights, which were overheating lights, didnt come on till it was bloody hot.. once i was over thr hills and had topped her up she sat on 93-95 degrees for rest of the trip with me just doing 100kph....

see what happens tomorrow i guess... i dont really want to trade it.. id like a new motor as i have spent a lot to get it where it is now..
baito

Postby Scale on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Got my Ute back yesterday new motor and clutch, I raised my concerns about how new motors were failing and it was said to me that they have all been removed and the motor that went into my Ute was only assembled 1 month ago so hoping I should have a better run with this one.
Scale

Postby baito on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Scale wrote:Got my Ute back yesterday new motor and clutch, I raised my concerns about how new motors were failing and it was said to me that they have all been removed and the motor that went into my Ute was only assembled 1 month ago so hoping I should have a better run with this one.

Hey mate i see your from vic.. which dealer you useing? Pm me if you like
Cheers
baito

Postby DanAu on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:18 pm

DanAu wrote:I suspect that I'm another victim of this recall-not-recall. My Jan 14 Triton has had the service done but in the last week it's developed the cringeworthy blub blub of coolant into the overflow. No other issues at this stage.

Booked in for next Wednesday. Wish me luck!

4 months ago Mitsi's couldn't find an issue (they actually looked at it twice because it went in for a service in Feb).

Fast forward to today; I'm driving back from the country with the wife and kids plus a full tray of holiday gear. On comes the CE light and the engine overheats. Luckily I was less than 5 minutes from a dealership who quickly confirmed I'm another victim.... :evil:
DanAu

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components