Cooling System Service Campaign

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby L200Shogun on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:53 am

A long motor includes a head. Short motors are the bottom end.
User avatar
L200Shogun
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:48 am
Location: Perth WA


 

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby MarkoMN on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:43 am

Awesome thanks L200shogun !!!
MarkoMN
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Sammy123 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 pm

MarkoMN wrote:Had my 2013 mn in at the dealer for the last 2 weeks and was told today that MMA has approved a new long motor to go into the car. What is the difference between a long and short motor? Anyhow all I can say it keep pushing them to get it sorted I have been driving my time mob for over a year waiting for the next service with the coolant dropping and me topping it up until the next service to get it pressure tested again, (first one was fine) and the failed the last 3 should have the new motor in and installed by next Friday if all goes well. Goes to show that there are still issue out there and to just be persistent! Thanks for all the info has helped me when talking to the dealer so they know I know what is going on and what I’m talking about!!! Winning ! Oh and car just hit 60000kms


Good luck hope they sort for you ASAP
Sammy123
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 am

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Sammy123 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:40 pm

Sammy123 wrote:Wondering of anyone else has tried an out of warranty claim on this issues.

I am new to the triton world. Bough a MN 2011 4 months ago with all the fruit on it. Full service history and no issue when checked by my mechanic pre purchase. It was OUT OF WARRANTY and I never heard of this issue.

Last week on the way to a camping trip with the family, 1 hr down the highway the engine light came on and temperature gauge went to red.

Limped into the ultratune shop in Goulbourn. The mechanic that locked at the car said he had worked as the mechanic at the local Mitsubishi service centre for the previous 5 years.

He advised me of the know issues with overheating and machining problem with the block. Took him all of 3 seconds to confirm my MN was another casualty and to take it to the Mitsubishi dealer down the road to see what could be done.

He confirmed he was dropping in 3 engines a day at one stage due to the issue.

Yesterday, Mitsubishi called gving me out of warranty thus out of my pocket speech. After some quick talk I convinced the foreman mechanic to put in a good will claim to MMA whcih he was good enough to do.

He said he had to take the head off regardless to assess the damage and potential cost. I reluctantly greed as my repair options have been reduce.

Hoping these guys give me a fair go. Looking at ths tread I am wondering why on this good earth I bought this car outside of warranty, shame as the MN is really decked out to go anywhere less this problem.

Hope this can be overcome. Will let you know what happen. Appriciate any advice.


Just an update, Mitsubishi did not come to the part for the warranty claim.

The dealership in Goulbourn confirmed the head was OK and quoted me $2700 to replace the head gasket (a thick one) and put the engine together.

I called the MA customer service to plead my case and got absolutely nowhere. With miscommunication and absent staff over the Xmas period I was without a car for 7 weeks.

IN short I become desperate for a car and agreed to pay for the repairs.

I Picked up the car last Monday and seems to run OK. I have a few question I am hoping someone can help me with,

1. I notice they had replaced the radiator cap with a 108kpa lid as opposed to the original 127kpa. Asked them for a reason, still waiting for a response. I expect to be waiting for a while as the head mechanic had no idea this was changes. Can anyone advice what the reasons or benefit or a lower KPa cap may be?
2. I ask the dealership on more than one occasion to confirm the warrant of the repair, most places usually give 12months 20,000km. when I ask in person I got a roundabout response from the front office “about 12 months 10,000 or 20,000km”. It is not a trick question, I have now sent them an email requesting they confirm this in writing., does anyone know what the standard Mitsubishi dealership warranty on a repair is?
3. If I want to pursue the cost of this repair further what I the best avenue,?

Whilst I feel I good lucky with the costs I have lost some confidence in the reliability of the engine, I will be taking if off-road soon and will see how it goes.
Sammy123
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 am

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby bigjobs on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:31 am

Bastards.

You will have to contact Fair Trading in your state first, they should be able to advise you on how to proceed.

More than enough info on this forum relating to this issue that you can refer to also, including replacement motors outside of warranty.

It's also probably safe to assume that MMA would have been subject to and lost disputes over this issue already, so they might not fight too hard, if it actually went to court.

They probably just rely on people copping the warranty refusal, since the onus is on the customer to follow through with the claim and is likely to be too much of a pain in the arse for most to bother with.

Best of luck anyway.
User avatar
bigjobs
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:32 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Ozzybucket on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:11 am

Ozzybucket wrote:Update car went in was without it for 8 days, it had 3 stress tests all of which i'm told it passed. They kept it a few extra days and said they were going to remove radiator and send for testing. When I finally got it back they said its fine, passed stress tests, flushed cooling system and replaced thermostat. So on weekend hooked caravan and took it for a drive up hills for about a 100km. Car did not overheat, BUT when i got home i let engine cool right down i noticed that the coolant had risen inside the coolant reservoir considerably above the upper level mark. As I unscrewed the radiator cap there was considerable amount of air/gas bubbling back through the reservoir. On inspection there was no coolant under the radiator cap. I'm thinking that over time as more coolant is expelled or evaporates it will overheat again. It does not seem to pull the reservoir coolant back into the radiator. What does anybody else think?


Update as I thought my thoughts were confirmed last Sunday 28/1/18 towing Caravan back to home, 200 km trip, 130 km in the car overheats and goes into limp mode, air conditioning fails. So back to Dealer again this week and at least this time given a loan car. Will update when I learn of outcome.
Ozzybucket
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:58 am

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Ozzybucket on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:16 am

Ozzybucket wrote:
Ozzybucket wrote:Update car went in was without it for 8 days, it had 3 stress tests all of which i'm told it passed. They kept it a few extra days and said they were going to remove radiator and send for testing. When I finally got it back they said its fine, passed stress tests, flushed cooling system and replaced thermostat. So on weekend hooked caravan and took it for a drive up hills for about a 100km. Car did not overheat, BUT when i got home i let engine cool right down i noticed that the coolant had risen inside the coolant reservoir considerably above the upper level mark. As I unscrewed the radiator cap there was considerable amount of air/gas bubbling back through the reservoir. On inspection there was no coolant under the radiator cap. I'm thinking that over time as more coolant is expelled or evaporates it will overheat again. It does not seem to pull the reservoir coolant back into the radiator. What does anybody else think?


Update as I thought my thoughts were confirmed last Sunday 28/1/18 towing Caravan back to home, 200 km trip, 130 km in the car overheats and goes into limp mode, air conditioning fails. So back to Dealer again this week and at least this time given a loan car. Will update when I learn of outcome.


RESULT!!!! Update 9/2/18 Picked up my Car local dealer brand new engine installed within a week! Service Manager showed me old motor could clearly see the tooling issue with pitting around the cylinder block allowing gas to escape and enter the water jacket. However he could not guarantee me it will not happen again. He told me that 1 in 4 of the engine assembly lines had the tooling issue. So 1 in 4 engines have this issue but they do not know which ones they are! Strange I thought they would have all been coded. So they knew of this issue as far back as 2013 I think and continued to install the defective engines, my MN was manufactured MAR 15. I cannot understand if they knew of this problem why did they not remove the heads off the engines and inspect them for the pitting before installing them? My guess is it was all about $ and some of these engines may not fail if they are not under load, mine only did it towing a light caravan.
Ozzybucket
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:58 am

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Sickd on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Dam I thought they had it all sorted as I have a mn April 2015 built
And have not had any issues yet, just clicked over 75000, and just came back
From trip from melb to adelaide with a fully loaded Ute up to gvm and out 2200kg
Van, and if did not miss a beat, hopefully it’s one of the 3 out of 4 and not the 1 out of 4
Engines, it does make you worry that it’s still in the system right to the end of that engine
Model
Sickd
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby bodia on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Its not 1 out of 4. Our work has about 10 MN's around Australia that are all now around the 180k km mark and none have had the issue
bodia
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby OffRoadDave on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:19 pm

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read a couple of posts up. :lol:

Sickd wrote:Dam I thought they had it all sorted as I have a mn April 2015 built
And have not had any issues yet, just clicked over 75000, and just came back
From trip from melb to adelaide with a fully loaded Ute up to gvm and out 2200kg
Van, and if did not miss a beat, hopefully it’s one of the 3 out of 4 and not the 1 out of 4
Engines, it does make you worry that it’s still in the system right to the end of that engine
Model


Not sure the problem goes right to the end of the model. The machining issue was supposedly rectified back in early 14.

Improved smoothness of upper surface of cylinder block for engines built on and after
18/03/2014 (engine number 4D56 UCFA9504 onwards)
User avatar
OffRoadDave
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Sickd on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:59 pm

Ozzybuckets was built March 15 the stopped building them in April or jun July 15
Sickd
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Sickd on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:18 pm

Ozzybucket wrote:
Ozzybucket wrote:
Ozzybucket wrote:Update car went in was without it for 8 days, it had 3 stress tests all of which i'm told it passed. They kept it a few extra days and said they were going to remove radiator and send for testing. When I finally got it back they said its fine, passed stress tests, flushed cooling system and replaced thermostat. So on weekend hooked caravan and took it for a drive up hills for about a 100km. Car did not overheat, BUT when i got home i let engine cool right down i noticed that the coolant had risen inside the coolant reservoir considerably above the upper level mark. As I unscrewed the radiator cap there was considerable amount of air/gas bubbling back through the reservoir. On inspection there was no coolant under the radiator cap. I'm thinking that over time as more coolant is expelled or evaporates it will overheat again. It does not seem to pull the reservoir coolant back into the radiator. What does anybody else think?


Update as I thought my thoughts were confirmed last Sunday 28/1/18 towing Caravan back to home, 200 km trip, 130 km in the car overheats and goes into limp mode, air conditioning fails. So back to Dealer again this week and at least this time given a loan car. Will update when I learn of outcome.


RESULT!!!! Update 9/2/18 Picked up my Car local dealer brand new engine installed within a week! Service Manager showed me old motor could clearly see the tooling issue with pitting around the cylinder block allowing gas to escape and enter the water jacket. However he could not guarantee me it will not happen again. He told me that 1 in 4 of the engine assembly lines had the tooling issue. So 1 in 4 engines have this issue but they do not know which ones they are! Strange I thought they would have all been coded. So they knew of this issue as far back as 2013 I think and continued to install the defective engines, my MN was manufactured MAR 15. I cannot understand if they knew of this problem why did they not remove the heads off the engines and inspect them for the pitting before installing them? My guess is it was all about $ and some of these engines may not fail if they are not under load, mine only did it towing a light caravan.



Hey I don’t suppose you know what your engine number was on defective engine?
Sickd
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Scale on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:18 am

Mine goes in on Monday 2012 mn only gets hot when towing, have had 2 stress tests passed both all fluids replace and a thermostat still gets hot so they are going to take the head off and have look.
User avatar
Scale
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:31 pm
Location: Victoria

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Sickd on Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:36 pm

Is there any way of putting like a vote/pole at start of this topic where people who have had the issue could
Click yes to see how many on this forum are having the issue? Try get a number on it, it’s a long thread 67 pages that’s a lot of people
Sickd
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby ag9111 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:31 pm

Why bother.
A lot of people have come and gone.
It will be very biased to the failure side and what if you elect no and you now have a failure?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
User avatar
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 4840
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Wollongong, NSW

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Sickd on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:08 pm

Yeah fair call not worth it won’t giv much of an idea
Sickd
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby srb on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:32 pm

Best advice I can give is to treat them all suspect! Nobody other than the lying Mitsubishi C's know the real truth.

It's easy to ignore and pretend "Ah she'll be right, not all engines could be effected" But we've already seen and heard plenty of later model MNs suffer. Lying Mitsubishi c's said it was all fixed after a certain time... Pffff.

As I've said before, just keep an eye on your coolant temps, is very easy to setup an Ultragauge or scangauge with over temperature alarm to alert you.. If you catch it before you run out of water you'll easily limp out of a remote place before it gives up.

There's still alot out there that have never had or heard of the issue... Ignorance is bliss. But seriously why would you rest upon the word of MMAL.. or any vehicle manufacturer? They've decided that it's in their best interest to stay quiet and just repair/replace the ones that fail. So far they've been mostly good on warranty from what I've heard. Is now up to the owners to be proactive and keep an eye on their vehicles so it doesn't become too much of an inconvenience when or if it the problem raises its ugly head... Pun intended.







Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
User avatar
srb
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:51 pm

I still can't believe that no one would notice the crook machining on a block going down the production line ready for fitting the head.

There must be a complete lack of QA processes.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 4304
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: La trobe Valley - Gippsland

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby stefanos on Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:28 am

RHKTriton wrote:I still can't believe that no one would notice the crook machining on a block going down the production line ready for fitting the head.


Yeap......it is impossible that no one has watched it!!!this problem with 4d56 exists more than 15 years!!I have try ,almost,everything(after one headgasket on 90000 klm and 99000 klm a fully rebuilt)....only the intecooler left to check.
As srb said...a scangauge or ultragauge is the best way.
My son is a student,and he is about 250klm away.Every time I'm visit him,I have and different temps :D :D with 110-120 klm...one time on a long down hill I saw 110 deg!!......another time, before arriving to his home, 3 times overheat and a lot of water(but never in red line)....when we left I was really angry ,and said to my wife"are you ready to go home with bus??"...."why??" was her answer....."Because I'll burn it now!!"....on the uphill the rpm was about 3.500 -4.500 and temps until 92-93.....on open roads the tach 150-180 kph and the temps was 87-91!!!....

I don't know what hapen in this engine!!
User avatar
stefanos
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:56 am
Location: Greece

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:09 am

G'day Stefanos, how's life going over there these days?

Has the water pump been replaced as part of the rebuild?

Have you considered a slightly lower temp high flow thermostat?

My piece of foil (the thin radiator) in my ml, sprung a few leaks a few months ago. I decided to replace it with a double thickness unit (28 v 16mm) and it provides much better capacity to keep temps under control, esp as I run an electric fan.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 4304
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: La trobe Valley - Gippsland

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby braydenc on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:03 pm

So just to touch base on this I have now 80 thousand on the clock and I watch the Engine temp religiously through the scangauge whats an unsafe temp for these motors mine sits between 88 to 91 on a day to day use and goes up to 93 on the highway on uphill sections.
2013 MN dual Cab check my Instagram out heaps of 4x4 pics https://www.instagram.com/4x4campingandadventures/
User avatar
braydenc
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:00 pm
Location: Geraldton W.A

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby stefanos on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:24 pm

RHKTriton wrote:G'day Stefanos, how's life going over there these days?

Has the water pump been replaced as part of the rebuild?

Have you considered a slightly lower temp high flow thermostat?

My piece of foil (the thin radiator) in my ml, sprung a few leaks a few months ago. I decided to replace it with a double thickness unit (28 v 16mm) and it provides much better capacity to keep temps under control, esp as I run an electric fan.


The life isn't easy here.....the politicians want to make us like Venezuela I believe!! :D

At 90000 I had replace the water pump and now,before a week,at 135.000,because of a leak...The thermostat was genuine Mitsu.....from Vietnam!! :? :? ...I'll change it again this week with another.I had already 28mm radiator and el.fan.
But I have notice that the 3/4 o my radiator even above 90 deg is cold
User avatar
stefanos
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:56 am
Location: Greece

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Ozzybucket on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Sickd wrote:Dam I thought they had it all sorted as I have a mn April 2015 built
And have not had any issues yet, just clicked over 75000, and just came back
From trip from melb to adelaide with a fully loaded Ute up to gvm and out 2200kg
Van, and if did not miss a beat, hopefully it’s one of the 3 out of 4 and not the 1 out of 4
Engines, it does make you worry that it’s still in the system right to the end of that engine
Model


I'd say you got one of the 3 out of 4 if it hasn't missed a beat. Mine did at 14000, pulling a lot less.
Ozzybucket
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:58 am

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Ozzybucket on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:27 pm

RESULT!!!! Update 9/2/18 Picked up my Car local dealer brand new engine installed within a week! Service Manager showed me old motor could clearly see the tooling issue with pitting around the cylinder block allowing gas to escape and enter the water jacket. However he could not guarantee me it will not happen again. He told me that 1 in 4 of the engine assembly lines had the tooling issue. So 1 in 4 engines have this issue but they do not know which ones they are! Strange I thought they would have all been coded. So they knew of this issue as far back as 2013 I think and continued to install the defective engines, my MN was manufactured MAR 15. I cannot understand if they knew of this problem why did they not remove the heads off the engines and inspect them for the pitting before installing them? My guess is it was all about $ and some of these engines may not fail if they are not under load, mine only did it towing a light caravan.[/quote]


Hey I don’t suppose you know what your engine number was on defective engine?[/quote]

It was 4D56 UCFU7678
Ozzybucket
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:58 am

Re: Cooling System Service Campaign

Postby Scale on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Yerp Block pitted, new motor on its way
User avatar
Scale
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:31 pm
Location: Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests