ML 3.2 blowing blue smoke and no throttle response

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: ML 3.2 blowing blue smoke and no throttle response

Postby AnOldFart on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Marchy wrote:Question. Should the throttle position be open or closed when engine off? Mine stays wide open when engine off and as well at idle for a few mins but then closes after a little while. Wondering if that's my issue. But then I need to determine if it's being told to close and not responding or not getting told.

Throttle is normally wide open with engine off. "As well at idle for a few mins but then closes after a little while" is also standard behaviour for an engine -without- the Resistor EGR Mod done on it. .... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Marchy on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:55 pm

Well after a 20k test drive it seems to be playing the game. My attempt at changing the fuel filter was not great as I purchased an oil filter!!!!! At least it's the right oil filter so not a waste.

See how it behaves tomorrow morning as early morning starts have been the biggest issue so far.

Now to research EGR resistor mod ;)
Marchy

Postby Marchy on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:18 pm

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding this EGR mod?
Marchy

Postby shaggy on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:53 pm

shaggy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Marchy on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:03 pm

Still looking good. In actual fact it's running better than it has for about 12 months.

Something happened around 12 months back when I was driving like a tool for some reason and since that day it has not run as smooth as normal and has been down a touch on power. It's running like new again and the power that went walk about last year is back.

I think I'll just stick with the EGR blanking plate with a small hole in the middle for now, may look into the resistor mod later.

Thank you all for your input, advice, ideas, and motivation hopefully it stays good for a while now.
Marchy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:24 pm

If you did all that stuff we suggested then you've just ticked off most of the leading causes of engine misbehaviours so I can see why it would be running sweetly.

Does this mean the chip is out or just turned off? If out then I guess it could still be a failing chip loom too.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Marchy on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:34 pm

Yeah pretty well went through all suggested things. Chip now lives on garage floor so thinking that was the cause of the major issue of smoking stalling etc. One of the other suggested things probably rectified the slight power loss for 12 months.

Contemplating putting a full blank back in EGR now while I'm in the mood for fixing but will probably go back to limp modes and CEL's so can't decide.
Marchy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:27 pm

Nah the plug and play EGR mod is by far the better way to go compared to a blank. Way easier too.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Marchy on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:27 am

I'm still reading that epic thread yet to find the full details of the plug and play mod. Maybe when I fully understand it i will go for it. I'm assuming it tells the ECU that the EGR valve stays closed so the ECU tells the throttle to stay open thus not creating negative pressure in the intake so no CEL's? But is it only a part that I can buy or is it a DIY job?
Marchy

Postby psaunders on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:47 am

Marchy, this is where I got mine. Simple plug and play!

http://www.4wdsupplies.com.au/ml-triton ... -resistor/

Takes less than 2 minutes to install and remove :)
psaunders

Postby variflex on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:37 am

Rather than reading that full thread,do yourself a favour and ignore the thread, just grab Tony's email address, email him directly about the resister mod, it's a simple install and will stops any carbon build up,
I found reading the thread to be a little difficult to find the detail I was after, a quick email to Tony and I was ontop of it
variflex

Postby Marchy on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:04 am

Tony is otherwise knows as???
Marchy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:12 am

Tony....

That's his username.

Or tony@spvindustries.com

But the link above is his product just sourced from a different route. Your description above was pretty right about how it works. Close enough anyway.

Cowboy Dave

Postby GLX58 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:27 am

variflex wrote:Rather than reading that full thread,do yourself a favour and ignore the thread, just grab Tony's email address, email him directly about the resister mod, it's a simple install and will stops any carbon build up,
I found reading the thread to be a little difficult to find the detail I was after, a quick email to Tony and I was ontop of it

What he said ^^^.

In the end the overwhelming answer these days is just to go for the resistor (SPV) mod. EGR blanks are old news, more difficult and less effective. The SPV mod can be simple as plug in and go.
GLX58

Postby Marchy on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Well that was a shitty couple of nights. Decided to pull the EGR blank out in prep for resistor mod. Rear bolt snapped like pasta. 6hours to pull manifold last night. 5 hours to put back together tonight. Why oh why do I insist on messing with shit that works??? Oh well total cost for weekend of fixing $22 yesterday's stuff up $10.50. Cheaper than paying someone I suppose.

I've been told I'm not allowed to "play" with the triton until it breaks again. Probably a wise call by the mrs.
Marchy

Postby carrrake on Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Well heres one for the future readers of this thread. Mine had symptoms as the title suggests. Gave the electrical contacts on the throttle body plug a quick spray of electra cleaner and plugged it back in. Happy days, back to full boost courtesy of a working throttle flap. Its an easy fix to try first
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components