Super Select Newbie

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Super Select Newbie

Postby warnzie on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi everyone, as the title says im a newbie to both 4wding and also the mitsi super select. Have just got myself a new VR ML dual cab T/D and love it - would never go back to a petrol and small car again :D

Just a quick question about the super select system, im finding it can be a real fight or pull to transfer it while driving (2h-4h and visa versa) under the 80km/h mark...Is this normal? Also sometimes when transfering while driving it can grind between the 2h - 4h and other way round as well. Any comments would be great as to my basic knowledge maybe its the nature of the beast.

Thanks

Warnzie
warnzie

Re: Super Select Newbie

Postby daryn on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:28 pm

You must only change when not accelerating ie. take your foot off the pedal. Also, mine now has about 9000K's and is really easy to change now because as soon as it rains I use it so it has had some use, that also shows that Newcastle gets rain unlike other areas. In summary, stiff at first but gets better.

Oh, First Post, welcome warnzie.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby FreestyleCab on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:41 pm

Bastards,

Wish I had superselect.....

Welcome Warnzie.....no more talk of superselect please, unless you can hide the message thread from all us easyselect owners! ;) ;)

I have no idea what you do in the auto, I guess take your foot of the go pedal and make the change.
For the manual I always push the clutch in to engage 4wd.
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby warnzie on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:43 pm

There will be no more talk about that ss word from now on...but after this. I have read the mitsy manual over and over again but am finding it hard to make sense of it in terms of the super select trans and how to use it. Going from 2h - 4h is easy to understand whether on driving or standing still. What im confused about is the operation of 4hlc. One part of the book says you need the clutch depressed and you have to wait till the blinking stops, then another part says wack it in and while its blinking drive forward? I was under the impression without driving forward how is the trans to lock in? I know a mundane and maybe a silly question but don't want to break and want to use correctly. Any suggestions.

Cheers

Nathan
warnzie

Postby Jitsukablue on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:45 pm

The drive and wack is what we do for 2H to 4H. Stop for 4H to 4L. For the LC (locked centre diff), I see no reason to have to stop, but I could be wrong...
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby daryn on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:56 pm

Yeah the only 1 I stop for is 4HLC to 4LLC, all others can be done on the move, by the way warnzie I have an auto box so my methods relate to that with going from 2h to 4H. The sticker on your drivers door, if still there, should tell you as well if the manual is contradictory.

Practice whilst in Neutral if you want, I think you should be able to do all of the moves that way.

I also know a really, really nice Mitsu sales girl in Newcastle who can certainly show you hands on if you want to pop down, she knows more than the Mitsu sales fellas in town (I have to be specific with that reference as I understand Buzzy may be offended by a girl knowing more than him:)).
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby spargo on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:56 pm

There's a very very obvious sticker on the drivers side door, as clear as day. Best that some of you read that before you bugger it up.

In an auto:
Without looking at said sticker, or the book, and from memory, I recall you have to take your foot off the pedal and wait a sec to let the revs die before doing all changes. This is also all you have to do to go from 2wd to full-time 4wd (the first shift)
To change from full-time 4x4 to 4-high, you have to move the transmission to N (or P if stopped), and take foot off pedal.
To change from 4-hi to 4-low, (I'm pretty sure) you have to have the car in P or N, and be stopped (I'm almost certain), and take foot off pedal.

Reverse for going back the other way.

Go read the sticker - this is the reason I haven't removed it. It is the instructions, and one day I may not be driving it and someone else might wanker it up on me. :)
spargo

Postby King Triton on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:11 pm

I have the easy select in an Auto and to go from 2H to 4H and 4H to 2H
make sure speed is below 70
foot of the gas
put it in neutral
and push the stick forward/backward in one smooth motion
if you try and push it to slow or in 2 goes it will start to grind.

from 4H to 4L & 4L to 4H
stop car
put in neutral
and move lever
King Triton

Postby daryn on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:58 pm

Correct me if I am wrong guys:

Speed for on the move changes is below 100km/hr.
Don't drive in 4LLC above 70km/hr.
Stop and in N is only needed when going from 4HLC to 4LLC.
All other moves can be done on the fly by either releasing gas pedal (auto) or using clutch (manual).
If the Triton is stationary for any and all moves you must be in N.

Sorry Spargo and KT just some slight corrections I think.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby spargo on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:17 pm

It's on the sticker, and it is in the book (i'm almost certain). Best check those.
spargo

Postby warnzie on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:37 pm

Yeah when on the move no clutch is required for 2h-4h-4hlc just a foot off the accelerator as per sticker. Does anyone use the clutch?

If stationary i guess the obvious thing would be to put in 'N' and pull

I had a little play today at the parents place and tried 4hlc and worked a treat but it took a fair while - 10-20mtrs each time for it to both engage properly and disengage after been stationary and changing from 2h - 4hllc and back again. IS this normal?
warnzie

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:48 pm

Daryn has it right. Sometimes in the Pajeros I had to do the "Hilux shuffle" i.e. go to or from 4LLC when stationary then go forward a few metres, then backward a few metres with an occasional repeat until the dash light stops flashing. I do remember a couple of times when I didn't have the luxury of being able to stop (Oh s*&t, this is too steep for high range) and just crashed it into low. Some minor protests but it worked.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Drive Train Components