Leaking clutch damper

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Leaking clutch damper

Postby Bazzer87 on Sun May 07, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi all, I haven't posted in a while.

Clutch decided to go flat to the floor the other day (and stay there), there was no fluid left. Managed to lump it home and have just been sussing it out. It appears the oil is leaking from the clutch damper, there's a metal plate held on by 4 bolts. There is a rubber seal inside which looks ok so maybe the bolts had just loosened up. My first thought is - just put some gasket glue on the metal plate and put it back on. But as there was no gasket there originally - perhaps it's a bad idea.
Anyone have more of an idea than me?
MY12 MN Triton
2" Ultimate lift, 285/75R16 Wrangler Duratracs, 1" Body lift, Factory Rear Diff Lock, ARB Canopy, ARB Alloy Roof Racks, Xrox Bullbar, Roo Systems Roof Top Tent, Dual batteries, Draw System
Bazzer87

Re: Leaking clutch damper

Postby Bazzer87 on Sun May 07, 2017 5:10 pm

I tried the gasket glue but the brake fluid came pouring out once the clutch was engaged. Will try find another seal for it
MY12 MN Triton
2" Ultimate lift, 285/75R16 Wrangler Duratracs, 1" Body lift, Factory Rear Diff Lock, ARB Canopy, ARB Alloy Roof Racks, Xrox Bullbar, Roo Systems Roof Top Tent, Dual batteries, Draw System
Bazzer87

Postby donks1 on Sun May 07, 2017 9:15 pm

there is no "gasket" as you are looking for. The fluid is leaking past the internal seals. Need to replace these seals, possibly the whole cylinder. Look inside the footwell for fluid, or maybe down the firewall.

Steve.
donks1

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun May 07, 2017 10:02 pm

:? The damper is at the slave cylinder end. Not sure how a leak there would get inside the footwell.

Bazzer, the damper is stuffed mate. Note that there are no torque settings given for those four bolts that hold the backing plate on so expect that it's not a serviceable item and the lack of any gasket means that it relies on very fine machining tolerances and probably a torquing sequence to seal. I'd expect that dismantling and reassembly with gasket goo would have put paid to those.

I'd say it can probably be put down to being one of those 'mysteries of life', or possibly something's flicked up and hit it.

Regardless, I think you're off to make friends with your local Mitsubishi Parts Department.

clutch_damper.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Bazzer87 on Mon May 08, 2017 8:18 am

As suggested by Chris - it's not a serviceable item. Mitsi stealer wants $125 for a new one.
A bit of googling shows that a lot of people with performance cars just bypass the damper/accumulator for better clutch feel and quicker response. Also a few people removing them on the hilux forum.

Has anyone tried just removing it on here?
MY12 MN Triton
Bazzer87

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon May 08, 2017 10:07 am

A Triton isn't exactly a performance car and the damper does help with clutch control and feel when off-road.

Replace it and move on.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby MilkmanDan on Mon May 21, 2018 7:56 am

Thread dig.

Same scenario for me yesterday, foot straight to floor no warning. Taken morning off work to sort out, pulled damper apart and the small disc inside is noticeably bowed (hard to see in pic but you get the drift).

Love cars

Click to view larger picture
MilkmanDan

Postby Bammo on Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:37 pm

Thread necromancer here I know but always useful in case someone else has the same problem.

Pedal to the floor, no fluid and wet all around the the slave cylinder. Changed that out and next day, same problem. Changed out the master as the bottom of that was wet, next day, same problem. Finally changed out the damper (didnt even know I had one!) and solved. Mechanic mate reckons if you change one of them out you are best to change all three so at least its all new but was frustrating not knowing where the leak was coming from.

Have to say the clutch pedal feels *very* different with all new components. Engages higher in the pedal stroke and much more positive engagement. Suspect it was very slowly going bad over a period of years...
Bammo

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:19 am

Where does this damper live?

I thought it goes master - pipe. - slave.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components