MN 5 Speed Auto and Engine remap

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

MN 5 Speed Auto and Engine remap

Postby Mckuhfisch on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:29 am

Hi
I have just bought a 2011 GLX-R 5 Speed Auto. I have read quite a lot but so far no one could tell me the answer to my Question.

The 2.5 Diesel engine is detuned to 350Nm because the GBX can handle it. Is that right? To Remap or chip the engine would not be a good idea in terms of longevity of the Auto GBX .
So I am sure you guys have done it anyway. How dose it drive If I would remap the car with the Auto.
Also I was looking into the Aftermarket TC Lockup computer for the GBX has anyone tried this?

I an using the Truck for towing a 2.2T horse Trailer on then weekend and would like to get a better fuel eco. Out of it. I know I can’t change the Aerodynamic

Are there any more information on how to Improve the Drivability on this Truck?
Mckuhfisch

Re: MN 5 Speed Auto and Engine remap

Postby shortSteve on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Can't help you with a remap, but I had a Stienbauher module fitted to my auto PC Challenger, running 32" muddies for most of its' life and regularly towing either a loaded dual axle trailer (always 1200-1500kg) and our Windsor Rapid Van (around 2T loaded) and so long as I kept revs up and tranny locked where possible in 4th, no issues over the 65k km I travelled (including crossing the Simmo) with the box. In hindsight, I think we panic about this transmission a bit, mine only twice went over 100degrees on long sand section of beach in the middle of summer (low range helps) and when towing up Coalfields hwy on a 43 degree day in third. My new Ranger sits on high nineties all the time, and easily slips up over 100 degrees just driving around the burbs. And this is normal behaviour...
Just get a realistic tune (not 500nm lol) to improve the low down throttle response and improve torque maybe 25% and you won't have dramas.

sS
shortSteve

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:57 am

Firstly, if your EGR wasn't blocked/defeated early on, you may have significant carbon build-up in the inlet manifold. This robs you of power and economy, and should be your number one priority.

There are quite a few people who have had a remap done with the auto. Read Coughy's threads and you will see that there are no adverse effects. Invest in a ScanGuage and monitor all temps.

There is also discussion on the torque converter lockup.

You will not significantly improve fuel consumption towing a 2.2T horse float, but the tune will give you more power to keep up with traffic.

There is plenty of information on improving driveability, start with a search for Ultimate Suspension.

Make the search function your friend, all of this stuff has been sorted by others :D
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coughy on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:21 pm

well im here thanks bill lol
yes i have a remap done with 32" and the auto drives much better with the remap (and had a chip)
as for the T?C lock up kit yes i have that to im towing with it on wed so i will tell how it goes regards to fuel and usage

but the auto can handle the extra power and torque it is the same as the pajero well the earlier ones that hade the jatco box in them with the 3.2 up there bum and more torque and there just fine
i have 580ish nm of torque in mine and going strong no problems
so when they released these they had a 10 year drive train warranty so they wonted no warranty claims so lets detune the motor and auto so we get 10 years...

but it is going really well

i hope the t/c lock up gives me some more fuel economy
time will tell
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mckuhfisch on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:16 am

Thanks guys. The truck has 120k on clock and was a Company car. I am sure the Intake manifold has not been cleaned from new. So I will tackle this on the Weekend. Looks fairly simple to get it out. Not like the Mercedes.
Mckuhfisch

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:17 pm

There is a how-to on the manifold clean (search function). It can be hard slog to get the crap out of the manifold.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:44 pm

You would hope inlet manifolds were at least partly cleaned out when timing belt done at 90 or 100k km. If it is running OK i would just leave it to next valve clearance service. Highly unlikely it has managed to get to 120k km and not been done at some point. Just pull the EGR valve off and have a look workshops have a camera they can use for a better inspection.
L200Shogun

Postby MilkmanDan on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:37 pm

Can I ask are the 5spds completely untuneable?
MilkmanDan

Postby Mckuhfisch on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:26 pm

I was thinking to invest in this automatictransmission.com.au
Mckuhfisch

Postby coughy on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:54 pm

dan we cant find anyone that can play with them i would love to find some one or thing to play with the auto software
i been looking for a while now and still no joy
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MilkmanDan on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:53 pm

What TCM does it run? Do any of the PIDs that can be read through obd relate to any trans activity?
MilkmanDan

Postby Jrosey on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:10 pm

I was up at Agquip in Gunnedah last week and spoke to a rep from the Auto transmission mob from Melbourne re a speed sensor for their torque converter lock up system ,or have they tried to reflash the gearbox. He said the box is to hard to tune as it is linked to the engine ECU. He said they are working on the speed sensor system with an American counterpart. Should be ready around the end of the year, but can't be linked to the existing lock up system,one of which I have fitted. He also said that they would look after existing owners of the system. Will need to wait and see.
Jrosey
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:22 pm

coughy wrote:dan we cant find anyone that can play with them i would love to find some one or thing to play with the auto software
i been looking for a while now and still no joy

Made me remember this post. No idea if it would work in a Triton "We can also use the YRS with almost all other automatic transmissions as it comes as a wire in option and can control 9 gears."

The plug and play YRS stand alone trans ECU gives us full control of the valve body in the A340 auto transmission found in the N70 Hilux.
Controlling shift pressure, shift points, kick down, converter lockup, manual shifting via gear stick, paddle shift or even the volume controls on the steering wheel!

This standalone ECU means we can put an automatic transmission into your manual Hilux without having to manualise it due to needing the auto wiring loom and ECU.
We can tune the trans
To suit your mods, gear ratios, tires etc.

We can also use the YRS with almost all other automatic transmissions as it comes as a wire in option and can control 9 gears.

https://www.facebook.com/ReaperPerforma ... 05/?type=3

Click to view larger picture
L200Shogun

Postby TritonMatt1976 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:06 am

[quote="coughy"]
as for the T?C lock up kit yes i have that to im towing with it on wed so i will tell how it goes regards to fuel and usage

Coughy,

Realise this is an older post but wondering what reports you have on the Transmission Lock up kit?
Improved driveability?
Fuel economy?
Any "not to do's" ?
TritonMatt1976

Postby TritonMatt1976 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:09 am

I have an my15 GLX-R with 5 speed Auto has been ECU re-mapped, its running quite high torque numbers with no issues thus far apart from overheating when under load 2.4T up long hills. I have an OBD scanner but cant see transmission temps, sounds like I need a different scan tool.

I use sports shift and stay in 4th as much as possible only hit 5th when on really flat or downhill terrain.
TritonMatt1976

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:24 pm

TritonMatt1976 wrote:I have an my15 GLX-R with 5 speed Auto has been ECU re-mapped, its running quite high torque numbers with no issues thus far apart from overheating when under load 2.4T up long hills. I have an OBD scanner but cant see transmission temps, sounds like I need a different scan tool.

I use sports shift and stay in 4th as much as possible only hit 5th when on really flat or downhill terrain.

I have managed to get the trans temps from the OBD2 port with Torque Pro, but you need to do a custom PID which I found on a Pajero website from memory. Just search it, you'll find a way to read it. I know mine is accurate, as soon as it gets over 100 degrees celsius, it goes into lock either 2nd or 3rd gear.
I'm getting my ECU remapped on Tuesday, will be interesting to see if the trans has issues with the extra power, if I gain any....considering it already overheats without load and is running badly. Hope I'm not due for a new G'box!
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Return to Drive Train Components