Wierd rear wheel lock/skidding

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Wierd rear wheel lock/skidding

Postby warnzie on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:51 pm

This happened to me about 1 hr ago: started up my triton, diddled around for about 7 secs and reversed her out of the garage. I noticed when i had finished reversing that it was starting to spit so if i find any water on my windscreen i find it a great excuse to exercise my right to use my super select and put her in 4h :D So i put her in neutral and pushed the transfer lever into the 4h position - i admit she was a little hard probably as she was still cold. This is where this strange happening started. As i went forward it was if the my handbrake was still on - yeah i checked to makesure :) and as i went forward it was if the rear diff was locked and skidded a bit. I stopped, went forward a bit more and same thing, like i still had the handbrake still on. It fixed itself up after that and im thinking that the rear diff didn't meld itself in correctly maybe because she was still pretty cold and that i didnt have a straight line to drive in straight up after i selected 4h but rather a half lock turn? Im not to worried but has anyone else had this happen?
warnzie

Re: Wierd rear wheel lock/skidding

Postby subi_man on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:16 pm

That's what a Triton WITHOUT super-select would do - binding/windup of the drivetrain (eg. by turning in 4WD on a hard surface) causes these "handbrake on" type symptoms - I would certainly not expect one with super-select to do this...
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby warnzie on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:26 pm

im also thinking that as i had just reversed maybe she just didn't want to play and meld in cleanly. I reversed, stopped and maybe im not to sure but dont think i did - maybe i still had her in reverse and with the clutch in transfered her there instead of going to neutral but im pretty sure i put her in neutral first. But as i said maybe as i was reversing then going straight to 4h the rear diff may of got confused and still engaged in the reverse direction
warnzie

Postby Jitsukablue on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:49 am

Sounds like windup al la standard 4H lc (or no centre diff). It may be that it takes some driving forward before the centre diff does its magic? Try leaving it in 4H and see if it does the same thing next time.

I'm assuming you have read diff lock (diff lock button, right of steering wheel), and not LSD, because that's normal for LSD, mine does that in the dry sometimes.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:18 pm

Same thing used to happen, occasionally, in both the Pajeros I had. Just have to do the Hilux shuffle. Straighten wheels, drive forward a bit, drive back a bit, forward a bit - you've got it now. Want to try it to music?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Drive Train Components