TJM Prolocker vs ARB Locker

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

TJM Prolocker vs ARB Locker

Postby Top End Wrangler on Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:14 pm

Couldn't really find a direct answer to this so apologies if it's been covered. I own a 2008 ML GLX-R 3.2 Auto and need to install F&R Lockers. Unfortunately mine doesn't have the factory rear locker. Went to TJM & ARB for pricing as I dont want an auto locker or the e-locker ( Heard the e-locker disengages if rolling back ). TJM has apparently the more superior units and also the most costly at $1000 more installed. Heard the TJM unit has less moving parts = less drama's. Can anyone shed some light on these in the ML triton ? Had ARB Units in my previous Car, JK Wrangler and they were good, however there appears to be sealing issues that I read on the WWW.

Below is a statement from elsewhere on the difference, if true or not, not sure.

"The TJM has a lever that locks the diff. The air components are stationery and do not turn with the diff. Roughly similar to the old maxi drives. This makes the air lines easier to seal. The ARB engagement device is in the actual diff centre, so that have to transfer air from a stationery diff housing to a rotating diff centre"

Just after some unbiased opinions before or splash out close to 5K on the TJM units or 1K less for the ARB units.
Top End Wrangler

Re: TJM Prolocker vs ARB Locker

Postby moses on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:55 pm

I’ve got front and rear ARB, had no issues so far.

I have read people have issues with a seal in them. But I figured, the most commonly sold product is more likely to get negative reviews, bad installs, higher failure etc.

That, and when I was pricing lockers I called ARB, TJM and an E-locker installer, the TJM guys told me they had no front locker for the Triton and generally seemed to have no idea, the E-lockers were excessively priced... and so ARB got the go ahead.

I also got the pump up kit for the compressor, so one less thing to carry around.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ryanc on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:34 pm

Ryanc

Postby MN Driver on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:24 am

great review, It has certainly change my perspective on buying a elocker.
MN Driver

Postby Top End Wrangler on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Ryanc wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYZo--7Xh4&feature=share

Thanks Ryanc. I did see this clip over the weekend. Certainly makes a point that the TJM unit looks to be the more superior unit. At $500 a piece more I was questioning whether they are. I have since received a call from TJM, told them they were $1000 more installed than ARB units. They have now come down and are sitting around the $3800 installed vs ARB units at $3600. TJM does not offer any other compressor units with the lockers other than a locker specific unit, they are in development apparently.

The prices quoted from both are for locker specific compressors ( Compressors just big enough to power lockers only)

So for the same coin now, I can get ARB lockers with a larger compressor with various fittings to pump up tyres etc. Decisions, decisions .....
Top End Wrangler

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:10 pm

The TJM is a more robust design and for an extra $200 I'd be on that in a flash.

I have an ARB style air locker in the front and it has been a constant problem with the copper tube that runs around the inside of the diff housing moving and then being annihilated by all the moving parts in there. It's been in and out 5 times in 5 years and I'm not confident that there won't be a sixth. Factory rear is reliable as the sun rising in the east.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Merts on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:44 pm

I've never noticed my elocker disengaging????
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby moses on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:55 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:The TJM is a more robust design and for an extra $200 I'd be on that in a flash.

I have an ARB style air locker in the front and it has been a constant problem with the copper tube that runs around the inside of the diff housing moving and then being annihilated by all the moving parts in there. It's been in and out 5 times in 5 years and I'm not confident that there won't be a sixth. Factory rear is reliable as the sun rising in the east.

I’m with 5th. Even having no issues with my ARB units, if the price is right... get on it.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Yep I've heard that about the e-lockers, a mate of mine used to notice it disengaging if he rolled back in his Hilux... He didn't find it too much of a bother, he even swapped it out into his Landcruiser once his engine blew up for a second time.

But if you want the best locker, go with the tjm pro locker.
It's based off the original MacNamara diff locks so very strong and simple design compared with the ARB.
I just purchased a front and rear pro lockers for my Landcruiser so I've just gone through all this research and decision making.

Having said that I've got cheap Chinese copy of an ARB locker in the front of the Triton and it hasn't let me down in over 6 years of abuse... Unlike poor ol Chris with his ARB unit... I think a quality installation has a lot to do with how reliable they can be.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Top End Wrangler on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:52 am

Cheers all and thanks for your feedback. Looks like the TJM units will get my hard earned ! :D
Top End Wrangler

Return to Drive Train Components