Gearbox replacement

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Gearbox replacement

Postby Shwa on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi all,
Just wondering if someone could help me out with a couple of different wiring diagrams for the 2009 5speed manual gearbox and the more recent 2012 (I think).
Background:
So a little while ago, I started to have difficulty shifting down from 4th to 3rd, but with a bit of persuasion I could knock it back. Then, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't drop it back to 3rd from 4th.
A Temp Fix:
It turned out though, as I could shift up from 2nd to 3rd without a problem, I could just drop back from 4th to 2nd and then move up to 3rd (with out actually engaging 2nd gear, just shifting the selector).
Repair Options:
Some research on my part (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9040&hilit=gear+selection+issues) it seems to be an almost common issue. I had a chat with one of the local mechanics (I'm currently living in Orange NSW) who suggested that to remove the box, diagnose the problem, order and wait for the parts, then reinstall the box, was going to leave me out of pocket about $800 in labour + parts, with the likely hood of requiring my vehicle for anywhere up to 2 weeks depending on parts. Or I could get a second hand box and they would install for about $600-800 in labour pending.
So I spent some time establishing if I had the two switch type box Click to view larger picture
or the one switch type Click to view larger picture
It took some time to find thew two switch type, as the one switch seems to be more common, but I found one and got it sent up.
The replacement goes awry:
So I have finally found time this weekend (it's been at least 3 months), to use a mates hoist and swap out the boxes. The first inkling we had that something wasn't going to go to plan, was what seemed to be a different number of plugs that were occupying the bracket on the L/H side of the box as we were removing the original. After removing the box and placing it side by side with the original, there is a completely different number of pick up sensors as per the pics.
This is the original box:
Click to view larger picture
There are singular wires for each of these sensors and the plugs are all for single wire connection.

The sensors on the new box, each have two wires and all the plugs have two pins.
I'm hoping someone out there has either gone through this before or has a wiring diagram of what the sensors actually do for each box. I'm hoping I might be able to just change the plugs over on the wiring harness to suit the two wire plugs. I guess the other option I have would be to take both the boxes in to someone who specializes in gearboxes and get them to use the parts from the new box (if they fit) to fix the old one. But if I can get away with just changing the plugs, well that would be my first choice.

Any takers?
It's not the time in the life that matters, it's the life in the time!
Shwa

Re: Gearbox replacement

Postby snakesoup on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:22 pm

Cant help with your wiring issues but my gearbox has exactly the same issue as yours, im used to driving it as you described, going from 4th, just touching 2nd without engaging and then slip into 3rd...it really doesn't bother my and i just do it without noticing...suppose its the syncro issue...wonder if it would be covered under the 10yr drive train warranty? Mine is a 2011 glxr

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
snakesoup

Postby Shwa on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:04 pm

Mine is a 2009 GLXR.
I just figured I needed to get it sorted before I really needed to just drop back into 3rd on the tracks or something. I have actually noticed that 2nd is starting to get difficult to select too. I'm not covered by the 10yr as mine is a second hand vehicle, but from what I've read, you should be right to get it fixed under warranty and without the gearbox wiring issues, wouldn't be yours to fix.
Shwa

Postby Shwa on Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:50 am

Just a quick update. I have found a diagram (on a Pajero forum) of the 5 switch type configuration that can be seen on the original box:
I’ve still had no luck with diagrams for the other box though.
My next move is to run some wires between the plugs of the wiring harness and the original box, then transfer between H/L & LC and confirm which switches turn on which lights, then do the same with the other box and see if I can get all lights going. I have a sneaky suspicion that the switch types are different though ie:
Shwa

Postby Shwa on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:29 pm

Ok, so just for anyone who finds them self in a similar boat and is looking to find a second hand box, the difference is that mine is the super select box, has 6 switches/sensors on the transfer and 2 switches on the box, the other is a standard transfer, has only 3 switches/sensors on the transfer with the 2 switches on the box and rather importantly, is about 100mm shorter than the super select box. The gearbox is the same size etc, so just need to swap the transfer cases over.
I will post a couple of pics when I get up to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shwa

Postby aids84 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 pm

The issue you are having is caused by the 3/4 synchro hub wearing abnormally. In some earlier MN's the synchro hub was only heat treated on one side and it wore on the 3rd gear side (funny how a bronze synchro ring can wear into steel). The issue was resolved from factory sometime in 2012 I think. There is a hotline fix covering the repair so it may be worth trying to get Mitsubishi to come to the party with a goodwill repair, or under the 10 year powertrain warranty. The hotline fix is MN22-001.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components