4WD issue

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

4WD issue

Postby luckey on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:39 am

Hi, quite new to Triton, just posted my Forum Intro.

I’ve done a search and found some discussion about difficulties getting transmission in and out of 4WD - not sure how my issue relates to others:

Triton is 2009 ML, 3.2D, auto, Super Select. And factory rear diff lock, so unlocked is open rear diff I believe, not LSD. No traction control I believe. MY09 presumably.

The problem is after being parked up for a while with 4H selected (centre and rear diffs both not locked), then reversing out of parking spot on asphalt surface on full lock, the wheels bind as if in 4HLc or 4LLc and it doesn’t want to move at full reverse lock.

When I change the selector lever to 2H, front green lights flash (I presume the trans is actually stuck in 4H at this point) and wheels still bind on full reverse lock. After much fiddling with the selector lever and driving back & forth in forward & reverse, eventually I can get the front green lights to go out (sometimes with a bit of a clunk somewhere in the drivetrain) and the wheel binding stops and all returns to normal.

I see a lot of discussion about actuators, vacuum, solenoids etc, but I can’t understand why the wheels are binding with centre & rear diff both supposedly open. The dash indicator is showing all four green wheel lights lit, both orange diff lights not lit. Could the centre diff be somehow locked even in 2H and 4H, with its light not showing, and if so would it be binding the wheels only in 4H?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers, luckey
luckey

Return to Drive Train Components