grind then clunk!

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

grind then clunk!

Postby Dragonflyer on Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi all

I have a 2007 my08 triton with uprated rear leafs (for boat hauling i guess). its second hand and has just clicked over 220k.
Lately an issue has started and is really perplexing. sometimes when driving (daily driver), as i go to slow down at the lights a lght grinding noise starts and then once the car has stopped a clunk can be felt and heard from the front end. then the light 4wd light starts flashing despite no change to 4wd selector. when start to move off agaiin the light continues to flash for a while but then goes away. Sometmes it hapens twice a day and others it doesnt happen at all. there is a definate engagement of something somewhere up front and it definately sounds like a constant non-meshing of something.
yes ive searched as many forums as i can with no luck, its not tailshaft related i dont think.
to be honest it sounds like something is comng lose and waiting for a slow speed to enable it to engage. If i put it into 4h the light stays solid and there is no noise.

please help!

Dragonflyer
Dragonflyer

Re: grind then clunk!

Postby Mayhem2015 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:02 pm

Might be a leak in a vacuum hose somewhere there? Strange one as you say. I am not full bottle on the 4WD system works but other blokes have had issues with vac lines.

I think.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:51 pm

Loose actuator
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:07 am

X2 check that the actuator bolts are tight.

Older vacuum hoses tend to harden up and may not seal properly. May be worth chopping off a couple of cm and refitting to see if it helps.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:08 am

X2 check that the actuator bolts are tight.

Older vacuum hoses tend to harden up and may not seal properly. May be worth chopping off a couple of cm and refitting to see if it helps.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dragonflyer on Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:10 pm

Thanks folks

Ill give it a go and see what happens. I think i might have a look at actually replacing the lines at the same time.

Cheers
Dragonflyer

Postby scammo75 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am

hey mate..
been experiencing the same issue on my 07 ML GLX R in the last couple of days...frightened the shit outta me.. have you had any success figuring out the issue?..
cheers
scammo75

Return to Drive Train Components