Chemical Clean Comparisons

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Chemical Clean Comparisons

Postby MtMarthaDan on Mon May 06, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi All

I'm in the process of talking to Ultimate Diesel Tuning (UDT) for a soot clean, remap, exhaust, catch can and dyno. However I recently had an issue were I had an EGR fault come up on the dash. My mechanic put a chemical clean through the engine to try and resolve it. I immediately noticed better performance, less smoke and after a day or so the EGR light went off.

So my question is. Should I bother with the UDT soot clean? I'd like to save myself nearly $1000 for the clean that to me seems like the same clean as my mechanic did for less than $300..
MtMarthaDan

Re: Chemical Clean Comparisons

Postby Mayhem2015 on Mon May 06, 2019 9:22 pm

I took my manifold off and cleaned it. It was difficult to clean it when it was off and I soaked it in petrol, degreaser and sprayed with brake cleaner. Still took some scrubbing.

I can't imagine a chemical clean being as effective an a manual clean up with the manifold removed. If you are going to put the effort in and get a catch can, remap etc you may as well get as much soot out as possible and maximise your modifications. My mechanic recommended a chemical clean for me but also suggested it would not be as good as removing the manifold and cleaning it.
Keeping the shiny side up since 1984. :D
Mayhem2015

Postby Duck on Sat May 11, 2019 10:47 am

So who in Brisbane wants to do 2 ? Sounds like a fun day !
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby L200Shogun on Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 am

There are a number of different kinds of chemical cleans. Some are for yearly preventable maintenance type cleans others are for a heavily blocked manifold.
Some workshops recommend a manual clean and a chemical clean for the bits you can't reach.
L200Shogun

Postby mad992 on Sun May 12, 2019 9:05 am

class action against the manufacturers for making us buy ticking timebombs sounds better to me
mad992

Return to Drive Train Components