Replacement manual transmission 2011 MN

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Replacement manual transmission 2011 MN

Postby croydon on Tue May 21, 2019 10:38 am

Hi Folks,
Got an issue with the MN's gearbox. I have done a search but probably due to my limited skills I haven't found an answer.

I've got a 2011 MN, GLX-R with a 5 speed manual super select transmission and twin sensors. It's done around 175,000k's or so. It recently started making a fair bit of noise in neutral and second gear which went away when the clutch was depressed. I suspected a bearing was on it's way out. I can still run through all gears smoothly without effort, the noise was the only indicator.

I took it to my local mechanic who has pulled it out and found a fair amount of fine metal floating around. He is yet to pull the box apart to see the extent of the damage. To cover all bases, he has made some inquiries regarding a reconditioned box but has only been able to come up with a single sensor gearbox at this stage. His other option is to pull it down and rebuild from scratch. I've spoken to the local Mitsubishi dealer who have said it's out of warranty.

I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of a supplier for an appropriate replacement gearbox if needed. I live in Batemans Bay, south coast NSW if that helps. Thanks for your time and sorry if this has already been covered.

Cheers Dave
croydon

Re: Replacement manual transmission 2011 MN

Postby DaveXT on Wed May 22, 2019 9:08 am

They are a noisy box I would have left it alone until something gets worse, may be on it’s last 100000 km.
DaveXT

Postby croydon on Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 am

Know what you mean, sometimes the more you look the more you find!!......
croydon

Postby croydon on Sat May 25, 2019 7:19 am

A quick update. The mechanic has stripped down the gearbox and found the bearing/s are shot and the drive shafts have lost their hardness. The teeth on the gears appear to be undamaged. Keeping in mind I have little mechanical experience so my descriptions/terminology may be a little off. The end result being that a replacement low mileage second hand gearbox is the cheapest way forward.

Always happens when the warranty is in the rear view mirror!! Them's the breaks I guess.

Cheers Dave
croydon

Postby RHKTriton on Sat May 25, 2019 9:25 am

Do you know how often/what oil was used in the gearbox?

It only takes one dodgy part to start failing and the shed metal will take out the rest.

I just had the motor finally sorted in my old VW Caravelle when a couple of months later, the gearbox died. A couple of needle bearings had totally disintegrated. Every part in that box had been compromised.

This is where lots of magnetic plugs are good. Apart from capturing metal out of the oil and prolonging the box's lifespan you can observe if things are going south.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby croydon on Sat May 25, 2019 10:53 am

To be honest I couldn't tell you. I have gone to the same mechanic for years and he does a great job. The gearbox has been serviced as per the recommended service intervals using quality brand oils and parts over the years. One of those things I guess.
Dave
croydon

Return to Drive Train Components