MN wont go into 4wd, no lights on dash.

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

MN wont go into 4wd, no lights on dash.

Postby Terror on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:01 pm

Hi guys I've got a GLX ute I use for work that has probably never been put into 4wd in its life, the other day I decided to try it in 4x4 but nothing happened. The lever moves into 4hi and 4 lo easily but I get no dash lights and the car doesn't feel like it's in 4wd (no heavy steering etc) however, low range seems to work ok, but only 2wd and with no lights on the dash.

Any easy fixes for this one? I searched and found the MLs had issues with front diff actuators, are these still and issue on the MNs?

Thanks.
Terror

Re: MN wont go into 4wd, no lights on dash.

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:15 pm

Bumping this post as I now have the exact same, any thoughts from the brain trust?
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby grox on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:20 pm

Talking as a long term ml owner with super select but they have same front diff actuator as mn. Think mn has super select?. You can easily check if actuator is working by peeling back dust boot and pushing rod towards passenger side. Thats 4wd also default position when you start car till vacuum holds it in 2wd. If its not used much tends to bind. If hard have front wheels in air and slowly turn passenger wheel. If its in no mans land ie not engaging I dont think you will get the lights on dash including orange one when transfer case is locked. The past issue with ml was mostly due to the actuator been hit from under and moved a bit on mounts so would no push the rod in far enough. It only has to go a short way. Another cause was hose coming off and getting full of crud. Replacements even non oem copy now on ebay for cheap. This is worth trying as in my experience is far more common then broken/bad wire etc.
grox

Postby explorer.dave on Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:46 pm

All sorted, actuator just needed a little exercising, hasn't been used for while in 4WD.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.[

[b]Penrith Panthers 2021..Finally :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rob Repairs on Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:09 pm

I have the same issue on my ML, should you be able to move the rod by hand without the car running? I cant move mine,however when I start the car its goes in towards the diff? I also have no 4x4 lights on the dash {non super select} but it does flicker on sometimes.
Rob Repairs

Return to Drive Train Components