Engine light

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Engine light

Postby smelf1111 on Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi all,

So the engine light comes on intermittently and I get a loss of power and chugging when the car is like a 90 year old smoker until I press the accelerator.

I assume it’s carbon buildup and the egr valve. What is the cost to clean the egr and carbon and who do you guys recommend.

A second issue is the airbag light came on but no error codes, had Automasters take a look and they cannot find an issue or any fault. Any ideas?

I am in Ballajura Perth.

Thanks
smelf1111

Re: Engine light

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:44 pm

What year is your car? and what engine does it have?

The more details you give, the more likely you will get help...
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby smelf1111 on Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:43 pm

Hi mate,

Sorry it’s a 2011 GLXR with the 2.5 Diesel
smelf1111

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:51 pm

No fault codes with the engine light? if the light comes on there will be a code logged

carbon build up is not common on these engines.

the EGR valves can stick though.

As for Airbag light... if the light is on there will be a code
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby smelf1111 on Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:02 pm

Yep so the engine light comes and goes we once got an egr fault with it so assume it’s this.

For the egr what kind of price should I be expecting got quoted over $900 so far.

For the airbag no fault codes at all, Automasters tried to clear the ecu but the airbag light remains
smelf1111

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:56 am

$900?

I'd have a go at taking it off and give it a clean. If you're rich and don't want to spend a few hours on it, pay the dough.

With your airbag light, most scanners won't do much with this. Note ( from what I've been told), while the light is on, all the safety devices are / maybe disabled while it's on. Seat belt tensioners, etc.

On my ml, when the light came on it pointed to the harness under the driver's seat. These were being replaced by dealers.

I decided to check this out and found nothing wrong. I cleaned the relevant connectors and used dielectric grease on the contacts with no further problems over the last five years.

The problem is probably caused by corrosion due to assembly in humid environments.

I bought one of the Launch odb scanners at the time, which can reset the SRS system.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components