ML Petrol Flashing 4X4 Light

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

ML Petrol Flashing 4X4 Light

Postby rb08 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:30 pm

Hello All,

I know this topic has been widely discussed, and I have really done as much searching as I can. Was hoping someone could just point me in the right direction.

ML Petrol Dual Cab GLXR
Flashing 4X4 light when driving in 2WD, solid 4X4 light when engaging 4WD

I originally thought it was the free wheel engage switch on the diff, because it was also slightly leaking. Ive replaced the switch and problem still persisting.

Finally had a second set of hands today, so did some testing.
1) Checked all the hoses and couldn't see any splits
2) With car on and engaging into 4WD/2WD - the actuator was not moving
3) Removed the hoses to the actuator and moved it by hand and greased it up
5) Reconnected the hoses to the actuator and still no movement when engaging 4WD/2WD
6) Removed Yellow and Blue hoses from Solenoid, and this is where it got weird. When in 2WD both yellow and blue were sucking. On 4WD only blue was sucking.
7) Swapped hoses into Solenoid, and now actuator was moving. Also in 2WD no more light for about 20 seconds before it came back on flashing. 4WD kept flashing no matter what.

Swapped them back and went back to Flashing 4X4 light when driving in 2WD, solid 4X4 light when engaging 4WD (and actuator still not working).

Im thinking its the Solenoid at this point? Because the way i understand it, it should never be sucking both yellow and blue at the same time?

Can someone please help me with their wisdom? :)

Thanks in advance!
rb08

Re: ML Petrol Flashing 4X4 Light

Postby rb08 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:54 am

Sorry one last question everyone.

Is the Selenoid the same for Easy Select vs Super select ?

Anyone who has replaced have a part number? Has everyone bought from Mitsi direct? or any good after market providers?

Thanks
rb08

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:44 pm

Finding the cause of the "flashing 4x4" light is an exercise that can only be done on the car and through a process of systematic elimination.

The online manual is a good place to start.

For genuine Mitsubishi parts at a fraction of dealer prices, use Partsouq and Amayama.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby rb08 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:14 am

Thanks NowForThe5th!

Solid advice ive gone through and checked all the parts of the system as per the online manual. Not 100% sure at this point but im sorta 80/90% its the solenoid.

Thanks for the info around the parts as well. Definitely worth it compared to local rates!

Appreciate it
rb08

Return to Drive Train Components