Intermittent power loss and smoke while accelerating

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Intermittent power loss and smoke while accelerating

Postby MerseyFly on Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 am

Gday guys,
Over the last few weeks i have been experiencing an intermittent issue with my 2015 PC Challenger 2.5TD that hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction to troubleshoot . On each occasion (3 times now) upon acceleration up an incline the vehicle loses power, emits a serious rattle from what i assume are the injectors (rocks in a coke can sound !!) and chuggs out a HUGE amount of greyish smoke. Quite quickly after this occurs the engine goes back to normal running with no issues at all. There have been no engine check lights up.
Naturally I took the vehicle to my mechanic immediately but as the issue had disappeared it was hard to explain. They checked all the easy to get at things, ie filters and sensors and found only a semi clogged up inlet manifold which i have received a quote to clean. He indicated that the cleaning "may" fix the issue but is not overly confident that it is the cause of the issue I'm experiencing.
I guess my question is would a clogged inlet manifold cause what I'm experiencing or is it likely to be something more sinister?
The Challenger is stock standard and done around 275,000 kms.
Cheers
Peter
MerseyFly

Return to Drive Train Components