Electric Thermo Fans on 4D56.

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Electric Thermo Fans on 4D56.

Postby Pet3R on Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:39 am

Hi All,
Apol if this is covered, I’ve seen references to the viscous-coupled engine fan and its function/issues/impacts.
I’ve searched, including the ‘references’ page.
I see the discussion on the harness connectors for a thermo-fan option for the aircon condenser.

As for the main engine thermo fan - has anyone installed a pair of electric thermo fans to the back of the radiator (with or without panel shroud), and thereby enabling removal of the factory fan?
If so, most likely with an independent temp control circuit?

I’m new to diesels, and frankly to see a thermo-fan driven by the engine on a 2014 vehicle amazes me (in a what-decade-was-this-thing-designed-in way). It’s either a function of cost, or there’s an actual mechanical design reason for it that I cannot (yet) fathom.

Peter
Pet3R

Re: Electric Thermo Fans on 4D56.

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:31 am

The fan on the Triton works perfectly well, its still used on MR triton and pajero sport.

Modifying the cooling system on a 4D56 is asking for trouble, taking in to account that engines history with overheating related issues.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:02 pm

Pet3R wrote:has anyone installed a pair of electric thermo fans to the back of the radiator (with or without panel shroud),

Yes, it's been tried. In all the cases that I'm aware of there were problems getting enough air flow. The standard fan may be agricultural but it moves lots of air.

Pet3R wrote:to see a thermo-fan driven by the engine on a 2014 vehicle amazes me (in a what-decade-was-this-thing-designed-in way)

1897, I believe. As Dibby says, it works. There are lots of other, more productive and satisfying things to spend your money on.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Pet3R on Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:57 pm

Thanks guys.
Pet3R

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:31 pm

I use a 16" electric fan with the double thickness radiator on my ml and it has coped with the hottest days.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:35 pm

X2 on the 4d56 unit with regard to needing the continuous forced air. Don't want to lessen your chances if an engine replacement is needed.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:37 pm

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:The fan on the Triton works perfectly well, its still used on MR triton and pajero sport.

Modifying the cooling system on a 4D56 is asking for trouble, taking in to account that engines history with overheating related issues.

The "overheating issue" has nothing to do with the engine overheating. Temperature gauge showing overheating is a result of combustion gases entering the cooling system due to a failure of the block and head gasket
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:26 am

Then why is one of the first things we do when collating information for a claim is get evidence of the overheating fault code?

Modifying the cooling system from spec will exacerbate any weakness in the system,potentially causing a failure, which will not be covered by MMAL.

The Triton cooling system is perfectly adequate for its purpose in design. Why waste money trying to cure a problem that isnt there?

The OP asked for advice. I gave it
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:45 am

Quite right ag9111, but when there's defective product out there, you want all the good cards in your hand if you've got a warranty claim.

With my ml, my reason to go electric included, noise, wear on water pump bearing, access to belts and access to back of radiator for cleaning.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:19 pm

Not sure I agree, RHK.

I understand what you say about noise, all the MLs sound like a turboprop jet taking off, especially when cold or with the a/c on, Belt access isn't that bad and certainly better on the diesel than the V6 which needed the timing belt done from time to time.

If there's a question about the reliability of a product then my logic would be to have no doubt that, when a failure did occur, there would be absolutely nothing else that, even in some dealers' minds, might have contributed to the problem.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby ag9111 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:05 am

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:Then why is one of the first things we do when collating information for a claim is get evidence of the overheating fault code?

Modifying the cooling system from spec will exacerbate any weakness in the system,potentially causing a failure, which will not be covered by MMAL.

The Triton cooling system is perfectly adequate for its purpose in design. Why waste money trying to cure a problem that isnt there?

The OP asked for advice. I gave it

Correcting your overheating issue comment. Never mentioned the cooling system comment

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:24 am

ag9111 wrote:
Correcting your overheating issue comment. Never mentioned the cooling system comment

What comment was incorrect?

Does this engine not have issues with overheating?

If it does not, then why is the first line in the recall bulletin

"Subject: 4D56 Hi Power Overheat Triton and Challenger "

I understand the OP is wishing to control his cooling system temperatures to what he believes is a more acceptable level, however i stand by my original response.

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:The fan on the Triton works perfectly well, its still used on MR triton and pajero sport.

2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby ag9111 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:08 am

DibbyDibbyDJ wrote:
Does this engine not have issues with overheating?

No it does not.
The "overheating issue" as it has become known is a symptom, and only a symptom of a water jacket to combustion chamber failure.
Some have a catastrophic failure that leads to all coolant being blowing out of the system through the coolant overflow bottle and radiator cap. This results in overheating occurring.
Mine had a slight leak that caused bubbling back through the coolant overflow. Just kept topping it back up. Didn't overheat till I run it to hard for to long.

I actually think the cooling system on the MN is pretty good, and most who have played with it don't report favourable results

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Pet3R on Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:18 pm

As the OP of this thread, I’ll response to a couple of references to me.

I am NOT looking to improve heat dissipation, or fix a problem - the car runs fine but I have not really worked it.
My particular car has a replacement engine (with late engine #), and a 127kpa rad-cap and new radiator. So at some point in its life before me it has been through the MMAL recall for the bad block casting. Not surprising since it was a commercial fleet car.

Second, I wasn’t looking for advice on whether it’s a good idea or not. I asked whether anyone had done it.
I have my own views on ‘why’ I will do it and, frankly, the response that ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’… well, I’ll leave that alone.
The response about whether MMAL will respond to a call for help when it all goes bad… I don’t really give a tinkers cuss what MMAL think or say.

Peter
Pet3R

Postby thebaton on Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:12 pm

I also have thermo fans on my mn. Much quieter. Have a bigger radiator too though and an extra oil cooler. No problems cooling.

Bear in mind that if you put on bigger tyres the engine driven fan is spinning at a different speed to what it was designed for. Thermo can go full blast sitting in traffic on a 45c day while the engine driven fan idles.
thebaton

Postby thebaton on Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:14 pm

If you want to do it I recommend getting a shroud made for the thermos, a bigger radiator and ideally an electric water pump.
thebaton

Return to Drive Train Components