MN Triton Diff ratio change and LSD centres

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

MN Triton Diff ratio change and LSD centres

Postby KayakadventuresINC. on Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:59 pm

G'day all,

Thanks for letting me join this forum, this will be my first post but I have spent many years reading and using this forum as a reliable source of information. Thank you for this!

I have searched through this forum to the best of my ability. I have seen that a member by the name of Fraz has used ML triton rear diff end to end to achieve 4.1 ratios in his mn.

I am writing to see if the 4.1 ratio can be achieved using a 4.1 rear and front differential centre from an MN auto. Only some models came out with the 4.1 ratios but I have found a set near me and am hoping because the centres are from an MN auto, they will fit straight into my MN manual.

My next question relates to the factory differential locks on the MNs. The seller has said that the diff centre in the rear is an LSD centre with factory diff lock built in. I was under the impression that the factory diff lock diffs were open centres with the diff lock option.
Finally, if I were to purchase the rear and it is a diff lock type, as my vehicle is non diff lock I under stand that i will also need the left axle that accompanies that diff as they are different lengths. If i was to find a centre that was LSD type ONLY (no factory diff lock) will the axles still need to be changes or are they the same?

In terms, of setting up the factory diff lock, I would run it as a stand alone switch and have it independent of the vehicles ECU and simply ran using a mounted compressor, a storage tank, a restrictor near the compressor and a switch to engage it. If any body has any information they would be willing to share with me RE the specifics of this process that would be greatly appreciated.

I know some of the questions I have asked, appear to have been answered before eg. the 4.1 ratio swap, but i can only find results regarding a full end to end diff swap using the ML 9.5" diff. I am not looking to use the 9.5" i'm just aiming to use a different MN centre that has 4.1 ratios instead of my 3.917 ratio.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers!
Young bloke with his 4D56 MN Triton giving everything a go himself
KayakadventuresINC.

Re: MN Triton Diff ratio change and LSD centres

Postby FQCODEL on Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:46 am

Just to get you started, i believe the LSD axles have a different spline count to open diff.

Also check if the bolt count on the diff center is the same, its either 8 or 10 bolt.
FQCODEL

Postby srb on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:19 am

Firstly there's no such thing as an LSD with diff lock centre, it's one or the other.
Secondly, you need to establish what size rear diff you have... The 9" has 10bolt housing with smaller axles and the 9.5" has 12bolt housing with the larger 32spline axles and yes different length for the locking centre.

Easier to just grab the entire rear axle drum to drum.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby KayakadventuresINC. on Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:25 am

Cheers fellas,

I was thinking the same, no such thing as an LSD with a diff lock hence why I was confused when the seller tried to say thats what it was - thank you for the clarification.

Yes- i've got a 9.5" diff with the 12 bolt flange - assume these are probably the same as what the ML have. I also assume that means I have a 32 spline axles in the rear also, but I haven't pulled the rear out before and actually confirmed this.

The factory's lockers centre sit further towards the passenger side, so I'll be sure to grab the shorter passenger axles, some accounts have shown that the drivers side axle doesn't actually need to be longer, which I found a bit curious, but I suppose it could be attributed to the locker mechanism occupying more room in the diff housing.

Thank you for your input gentlemen. I appreciate it.
KayakadventuresINC.

Postby ag9111 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:43 pm

Look up 4wd26 build thread and his sticky at the front of this section.
He has done a lot of investigation and practical work on his rear end including adding rear discs
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby KayakadventuresINC. on Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:44 pm

Thanks mate! yeap i had a read, great information there! cheers
KayakadventuresINC.

Return to Drive Train Components