Mitsubishi Triton auto gearbox

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Mitsubishi Triton auto gearbox

Postby kikfos97 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:07 pm

Hi all, iv been doing some searching and can't seem to find an answer to a thought of mine. I currently drive a 2011 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 4x4 4 speed auto. I am struggling a bit with power up big long hills. I find when it changes up a gear I loose a lot of revs.

Due to this I wanted to find out if anyone has heard or been successfull in mating a Pajero sport 5speed auto gearbox to a Triton? As this would also have the "manual change function also.

Is this a straight bolt on unit or does it require lots of modification and tuning of the gearbox to work with the original ECU? Or can you fit the box and ecu and your issues are sorted?

Not sure if this can be done. Don't shoot me down if it's not possible :D
kikfos97

Re: Mitsubishi Triton auto gearbox

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:04 am

Anything should be possible, depending how far your wallet is.

Have you considered a chip first?

I wonder whether it's possible to trick auto's ecu to hold a gear?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:15 am

Possible? Yes. Easy? No.

Engine to gearbox should be easy enough but the 5 speed box is a different length which means diffrent driveshafts and probably mounts. Then you have the issue of the gearbox ECU and getting the other ECUs to talk to it.

As RHK suggests, a chip will give you more torque and there are torque convertor lock up kits that will stop the slip.

Where are you that you have a 2011 with the 4M41? They stopped selling that here from MY09 MN.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby kikfos97 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:46 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Possible? Yes. Easy? No.

Engine to gearbox should be easy enough but the 5 speed box is a different length which means diffrent driveshafts and probably mounts. Then you have the issue of the gearbox ECU and getting the other ECUs to talk to it.

As RHK suggests, a chip will give you more torque and there are torque convertor lock up kits that will stop the slip.

Where are you that you have a 2011 with the 4M41? They stopped selling that here from MY09 MN.

Hi thanks for the reply. I am based in South Africa. I have gotten the vehicle remapped but I am going to take it elsewhere to get another tune.

Although I Need to fit a cooler as when hot it drives like a dog on any uphill. Although what freaks me out is if I stop on a hill, depending on the gradient if I engage 4H and foot flat it crawls slowly then eventually stops moving while reving. Could this be a faulty torque converter or would the lockout help with this?
kikfos97

Return to Drive Train Components