Intake Sealing

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Intake Sealing

Postby Pet3R on Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:43 am

I have the 2014 MN apart - for general service. I found the Uber-loose B-timing belt (the balance-shaft belt) and re-tensioned.
And some other service items needing attention. I’m now doing tappet gap checks.
After some cleaning of constituent parts, and noting an earlier issue with oil/air pissing out the mating surface at the intercooler entrance, do people generally consider that the metal gaskets used for intake-mani to head do a stellar job of sealing boosted air at 20-odd psi?
I don’t. These don’t even have a raised ridge-line in them.
The rocker cover itself has four air runners (top) each of which have o-rings on the head mating surface. No doubt because that interface is inside the oiled space.
I have zero confidence that those flat metal gaskets are sealing the manifold-rockercover interface - take a look at the area around intake 4… the mating surface narrows to about 10mm.
Thoughts? More “never been a problem so don’t bother”?
I’m going to use a thin smear of sealant on both sides of those two gaskets. Nothing that’ll squeeze out.
Also noting the issues around keeping the rover cover gasket in place while positioning it back onto the head. That probably warrants a SMALL line of sealant along the high point of the groove.

Are people doing similar?
Pet3R

Re: Intake Sealing

Postby DibbyDibbyDJ on Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:45 pm

The metal gaskets work fine. I have adjusted valve clearances on hundreds of theses engines and have never changed a gasket, or had any problems afterwards. Never used sealer, never needed to. the only time gaskets get changed is when a manifold or head is renewed.

Sealer seems to cause more leaks than they cure. the only sealer you use is a small amount over the D shaped insert on the head just by the cam sprocket, and in the 90 degree corners by the cam bearing, both being on the rocker cover gasket.
2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums.com
DibbyDibbyDJ

Postby rolv on Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:13 am

I did mine as per Dibby's post a few months ago, no problems since.
rolv

Postby Pet3R on Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:40 pm

Thanks guys.
Pet3R

Return to Drive Train Components