Clutch Fluid Accumulator

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Clutch Fluid Accumulator

Postby Tony81 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:36 am

I have a 2010 MN Triton, had the engine replaced recently.
The issue I have and the question that goes with it is about the clutch slave cylinder and the accumulator that is just above it. I needed to replace the slave cylinder (easy enough) but noticed the accumulator block was just hanging in the air supported only by the steel line for the brake fluid used in this system. I’m not sure if this is how it is supposed to be (I would have thought it would be supported by a bracket mounted to the body or something). This line has ended up with it being split, fluid sprayed everywhere and being stuck in the middle of a car park, locked in gear and the clutch pedal would just fall to the floor (lucky is wasn’t in the middle of the road).

Is there any way of asking someone else to have a look under their car and let me know if it is supported by something or if it really does hang in the air? Photos would be greatly appreciated as well please

Might pay as a warning to others to have a look as well. I was told the accumulator can be removed and replaced with a rubber hose instead.

There is now however a god aweful knocking sound every time I push the clutch.
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Clutch Fluid Accumulator

Postby bigjobs on Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:26 pm

Yeah mate, should be a couple of bolts at the bottom of the accumulator and a plastic clip on the line to secure it.

Pretty hard to get a clear photo of it but I had a crack.
Circled the two bolts.
I couldn't get the plastic clip in the shot but it's just between the red circle and the banjo bolt below, if that makes sense.

Click to view larger picture
bigjobs

Postby Tony81 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:25 pm

bigjobs wrote:Yeah mate, should be a couple of bolts at the bottom of the accumulator and a plastic clip on the line to secure it.

Pretty hard to get a clear photo of it but I had a crack.
Circled the two bolts.
I couldn't get the plastic clip in the shot but it's just between the red circle and the banjo bolt below, if that makes sense.

Click to view larger picture

You sir are an absolute champion.

I took the broken accumulator to Zupps Mitsubishi Aspley and asked to speak directly with a manager. Told him what had happened, he basically assumed fault and responded with we will order new parts and install them straight away. He was extreme apologetic and offered a free service as well.

I was just so lucky that it didn’t happen on the approach to lights
Tony81
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bigjobs on Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:56 am

All good mate.

When my engine was replaced, I noticed they missed a few bolts and didn't clip a few bits back in properly, nothing as serious as yours though.

Makes you wonder what else they may have missed though :?
bigjobs

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:27 am

That's why I always do my own work, esp the brakes! Haha.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components