4D56T Lube Oil Cooler

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

4D56T Lube Oil Cooler

Postby ozzie6677 on Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:56 pm

I bought a really straight MN Triton with a stripped timing chain for $6k. I am currently in the process of rebuilding the engine. Anyhow, the OEM Oil Cooler worries me as I suspect it may hold metal as it receives the lube oil prior to the oil filter. I was planning to replace it but OEM replacement is $1k !!!! Even aftermarket appears to be about $500 bucks. Can anyone steer me towards a cheaper after market or even an aftermarket cooler bypass replacement kit? I don't think a flush is worth the risk. Cheers
ozzie6677

Re: 4D56T Lube Oil Cooler

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:56 pm

It's before the oil filter, right? So anything that gets through will be captured by the oil filter before it goes back into the engine.

If it's not damaged or leaking then give it a good flush and refit.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: 4D56T Lube Oil Cooler

Postby ozzie6677 on Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:37 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes thats correct, but more concern is one more of oil volume / flow than anything else. Given it is a plate type cooler there is probably has a fair bit of gunk in the plates and flushing will probably help but not completely clean it. I might be jumping at shadows, but I would hate to think that I could be restricting oil flow on a newly rebuilt engine. If it was $100 or even $200 I would just buy a new one for piece of mind. There is a guy on YouTube YepThatsIt that has an excellent 4D56 rebuild series. On Part 4 (see link below) he also identifies the problem and has installed an aftermarket high volume cooler. Ive reached out to him to see where he sourced it but not had a response as yet. I thought other members on this forum may have also come across a fix. Cheers

https://youtu.be/LbCnLp09QT8
ozzie6677

Return to Drive Train Components