Driveline binding in reverse

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Driveline binding in reverse

Postby aybe on Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:06 pm

My 4 speed auto MN is currently in the shop(70k).Underload it was binding up in reverse.On inspection today they think its an issue with the transfer case.They are busy it might be two weeks just to look at it plus whatever it takes to fix it.My question is if i were to consider a secondhand transfer case what fits?Am i restricted to 4 speed auto only?
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic title altered to better reflect problem
aybe

Re: Transfer case binding in reverse

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:59 pm

@aybe, I've split this from the topic you posted in which was more for technical information than specific vehicle problems. But, I do thank you for trying to do the right thing and not start a new thread.

I understand that you will need to get a transfer case from a matching vehicle.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Transfer case binding in reverse

Postby aybe on Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:56 pm

I guess the topic heading is irrelevant now.They pulled the transfer case not the problem.Its now either the torque converter or transmission.The auto guy wants it put back together so he can check for himself.
aybe

Re: Driveline binding in reverse

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:09 pm

Through the magic of my powers I've changed the title. :D You. as the author, can do this too, for a period after you initially post.

Good luck with the diagnosis.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Driveline binding in reverse

Postby aybe on Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:42 am

Well that was an expensive exercise reco transmission $6200.Plus $800 at the first joint to pull it apart and put it back together.After the first place trying to diagnose it was that destroyed the auto guy could'nt even pull it apart called me in to inspect the damage.Has'nt even clocked 70K.
aybe

Return to Drive Train Components