Shifter Removal Clarification

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Shifter Removal Clarification

Postby 456eec on Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:08 pm

I am trying to remove my shifters on my 2013 Triton. Previous posts say to remove the gear shift you push and turn anti clockwise.
I have tried doing this with the stick but it doesn't want to push down. I even put the knob back on and put my full weight on it (96kg) and it wont budge downwards.
Am I doing something wrong?
Can I just remove all the bolts and the whole shifter assembly if I cant get it to work?
456eec

Re: Shifter Removal Clarification

Postby WUNSIE on Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:43 pm

Click on below mate ;) ;) ;) ;)

viewtopic.php?p=556201
WUNSIE

Postby 456eec on Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:51 am

Yep thats the one I have been reading.
So do I push down on the stick itself? Should I feel it push down against a spring before rotating? Should I give it a whack downwards to get it started as when I push down with 96kg force it just feels solid.
456eec

Postby WUNSIE on Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:08 pm

Do NOT bloody WACK anything, put it in say neutral grasp the piece that needs pushing down, Not the gear lever, push and turn to release from the locating tabs, just like a Toyota Hilux if you've ever done one, the retainer you need to remove is inside when you remove the small rubber boot its NOT external,

WATCH THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp9RFYlgPb4
WUNSIE

Postby 456eec on Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:49 pm

Thanks for your reply again.

Yep also watched that YouTube vid before posting. Doesn't actually show you how to do it. Never worked on a Hilux so that doesn't help.

OK so you don't push down on the gear stick itself but that collar part? I have tried that but it is solid and does not budge. It is flush with the top of the housing so not sure how you would turn it?
456eec

Postby 456eec on Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:59 pm

OK now I was fairly sure how it worked I went and had another go but it was stuck fast. Couldn't push it down.

Got a brass punch and hammer and gave it a whack around the circumference and it came loose and could then feel the spring tension. I was then easily able to turn it and remove.

Thanks for you help. I will film it tomorrow and put up a video of it actually being done for anyone in the future.
456eec

Postby WUNSIE on Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:29 pm

good stuff mate, good to hear ;)
WUNSIE

Return to Drive Train Components