4d56t engine "tick"

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

4d56t engine "tick"

Postby schwamiknight on Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:08 am

Gday all, sorry if this is posted elsewhere, i couldnt find anything in the search. I own a 2014 MN with a 4d56t engine. not sure if it is a problem but doesnt seem right to me. on idle the engine sounds fine, give it a few revs and still sounds fine. start accelerating and around 2k revs it begins to "tick" fairly loud. let off the pedal and tick goes away. It will tick from around 2k till just over 3k and come back in around the 4k. Has anyone had this or is this normal operation? Engine has 92k on it and as far as im aware is original engine. Also noticed today whilst revving engine parked in driveway that it wouldnt rev over 3k, but driving it will rev over the 3k, is this normal? any help or advice is much appreciated
schwamiknight

Re: 4d56t engine "tick"

Postby schwamiknight on Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:27 am

Any ideas at guys?
schwamiknight

Re: 4d56t engine "tick"

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:56 pm

All diesels make a bit of a tapping noise, so it's hard to know, from here, what yours is.

Could be tappets out of adjustment, SCV or any of a dozen other things.

Best thing is to take it to a mechanic or dealer and get them to track down where the noise is coming from. A stethoscope will help to at least find out whether it's coming from the engine, top or bottom or from one of the ancillaries.

The rev limiting in neutral sounds like an engine protection mechanism. If it revs out in gear and on the road then I wouldn't worry about it.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Drive Train Components