Gearbox removal ML, 3.2, 4WD

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Gearbox removal ML, 3.2, 4WD

Postby TimsTriton on Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:01 pm

Hi, been searching and can't find a thread on this. Can someone advise process for removing a 3.2Turbo diesel, 4WD gearbox to change the clutch please? Specifically how do I get to the upper bolts securing the gearbox to the motor and how many are there? I can't find the correct manual or diagrams for my model.
Cheers, Tim
TimsTriton

Re: Gearbox removal ML, 3.2, 4WD

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:32 pm

See Manuals Online in Forum Directory
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby TimsTriton on Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:08 pm

Thanks Chris, been through those and though it tells you the order to remove things, it doesn't mention how to get to some of them. I'm guessing the only way to access the mid an upper coupling bolts is to tip the engine and gearbox down. Is that how it's done? Will the engine mounts handle that? That sort of detail is missing from the manual - though I guess when you have done it once it will become second nature.
I am used to older cars where the transmission tunnel is removable and you can get to these bolts from inside the vehicle (1960 Triumph TR3, old Landrovers and the like).
TimsTriton

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:29 am

To be honest I've never actually done one myself, but I have seen it done - on a hoist, using a gearbox support. Although I wasn't paying close attention, what you describe does fit with what I recall.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:20 am

Hi Tim the brave.

I've been through this process twice, as the first replacement clutch broke after two years.

You'll need to tilt the engine/ gearbox as far as it goes. I used a few extra long extensions and could see across the transmission from the back end. NB. Also had the gear lever cover off the box, which improved access.

The real bastard that you will encounter,.is the long bolt on the starter motor. I ended up hole sawing the passenger footwell.

Best option would be to lift the bloody cab off the chassis and work from above. lol.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components