MK Clutch slipping

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

MK Clutch slipping

Postby shaunv8 on Tue May 12, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi all,

New here, hope this is the right place!!

I have a 98 MK 3.0 v6 dual cab. I was 4wding the other day on the beach and went to turn around and lost forward motion. I stopped put into 1st and nothing except the smell of frying clutch and lots of somke. I got out and cleared some sand from the tyres, although they were nowhere near bogged as the underside of the car was well above the sand and then slowly I was able to take off again. On the road it seems OK but Im a bit concerned. Is there clutches or similar in the t-case? Is there a way to diagnose? I have also had to top up master cyl over the last 12 months too....

Thanks in advance.

Shaun
shaunv8

Re: MK Clutch slipping

Postby Blue on Tue May 12, 2009 8:22 pm

No clutches in the transfer, just the engine to gearbox connection...

How many k's has it done...??? My MK clutch self destructed at about 130,000km but I gave it a hell of a time...

If you've got the coin, try a Daikin Safari clutch - from memory about $400 + installation but may be a bit (or a lot) dearer now... The pedal is a bit heavier after install, less shudder when under extreme load and a more positive feel...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shaunv8 on Tue May 12, 2009 8:30 pm

up on 202xxx kms.

I have been quoted about $800 for an exedy HD clutch installed, this includes mach flywheel, spigot bearing and fluids etc..

Any workshop recommendations in perth??

Cheers
shaunv8

Postby Blue on Tue May 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Just had a look around, Exedy are the old Daiken - you won't regret the choice...

I'll leave workshop advice to those marginally closer to you though...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby shaunv8 on Tue May 12, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks mate, I appreciate the input!!
shaunv8

Return to Drive Train Components