3.2 DiD pinging???

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

3.2 DiD pinging???

Postby liamb on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:59 am

Hi All

I have a brand new 1600km 3.2 DiD Glx-r. I noticed this weekend that when cruising along at say 95km/h and you want to move upto say 110km/h and you gently ease into it the engine sounds like a little 4cyl chick buzz box pinging away. Is this normal?. When you give it a more sudden right foot and accelerate faster it does not do it.

Cheers

Bill
liamb

Re: 3.2 DiD pinging???

Postby sierra on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:19 am

It's just the engine coming under load as you ease into the throttle and when you give it more the turbo boosts and changes the combustion dramatically. I like to hear it working as a diesel before it boosts, especially on boring trips.
:idea: Throw some higher octane fuel in the buzz box and it should shut up and last longer.
:| :)
You could try http://www.bpultimatebrochures.com.au/ in case it's low cetane fuel noise?
sierra

Postby Notso on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:20 pm

It sounds like the same noise mine made when I first bought it 3 years ago.

After a few ECU Updates they finally got rid of most of it. I'm a bit surprised that they are still making the noise. Mine has done 80,000 and has very little of this annoying rattle in it now. Originally it sound like it would throw a piston out the side of the block.
Notso

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:44 pm

After the Merc, these engines sound like a Chinese baby naming ceremony! (ie. throw the cutlery, pots and pans in da air).

They are grunters though.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Drive Train Components