Oil Catch Can working

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Oil Catch Can working

Postby sarice on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:52 am

I agree with the above comments about the effectiveness of the Provent. I fitted mine as described above and the amount of not just oil but condensates it pulls out is an eye opener, especially in cold weather. Nothing but positive feedback from me.
sarice

Postby savagess on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:29 pm

Hey Greg. glad you put some input here, seem very well informed.

I'll be ringing you soon for a Provent, just got my MN Triton today 8-)

I'll rather spend a few extra $$ then go cheap with something to help prolong the engine. Don't want to add any troubles to it.!
savagess

Postby cogdoc on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:31 am

Happy to help, I work full time so can't always answer my personal mobile straight away, but leave me a message and I'll get back to you same day. Absolutely no obligation, my side busines is an interest, not food on the table.

That said, I'm NOT a qualified mechanic, just a backyard tinkerer with a big interest in all things mechanical. My brother is a mechainc, and these days he rings me about diesels, so it's amazing what you can learn if you set your mind to it and it's a passion.

Just wish my compact car had your 4x4 drive, 350nm plus in a FWD isn't very practical. :roll:
Greg Roles
VW 2.0 TDI with a few mods
http://www.carformance.com.au/
Brisbane
cogdoc

Postby Kegsy on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:56 am

I had 520nm in a fwd :) pretty interesting drive in the wet ha ha.

Good to know we can call up and bounce some ideas off you, god knows these motors are gettingmore technical by the model even for diesels!
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:52 am

Straight into a beetroot tin...told ya's :lol:
No restriction, full flow and no back pressure...Golden Circle $2.95...what environment? :twisted:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby cogdoc on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:42 pm

...just have to hold your breath at the lights!
Greg Roles
Brisbane
cogdoc

Postby savagess on Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Done my install today.

I made sure to keep at lease the same diameter hosing only stepping up when connecting to the provent.

Also I kept it away from the turbo, one thing I've learnt is the cooler you can get it, the more efficient the catch can works, I've seen some mounted near the turbo, I couldn't imagine this keeping cool.

I mounted it near the battery on the mount for where the fuel goes. This already has a pre-set hole the a 10mm bolt screws straight into, only problem, it's on an angle.

So I got a large bolt (using as a spacer) and cut it on an angle so when the provent is mounted it's square, or more perpendicular to the bracket. Also got some 3mm sheet metal for reinforcing for the provent bracket, considering it was only bolted on using the one mounting point.

Used 19mm Heater hose to 25 mm Heater hose. the 19mm fits single inside the 25mm, creating a perfect step, and used Locttie 480 for good measure.

I think it looks nice and neat, factory almost. (Click image for the whole picture)

Click to view larger picture

And the tap to drain
savagess

Postby cogdoc on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:32 am

Looks awesome mate, very professional looking install!

I must publically apologise for making poor Scott try to fit the 3/4" rubber heater hose over 1" fittings, I had managed it in the past with more flexible goodyear hose, but not with plain rubber flex hose, and I made the poor guy fight for a while, bet he was cursing me!

Love your solution though, very neat!
Greg Roles
Brisbane
cogdoc

Postby slipn on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Hey guys! Super keen on doing this as soon as I can just to prevent and future dramas... and after reading cogdoc's post about sludge building up in the intercooler I am a bit concerned.

Are these the kits I should get?
http://www.westernfilters.net.au/product_info.php?cPath=138&products_id=745

Will the hoses be long enough?
And will the fittings be ok for the MN?
Basically what else should I buy?

Im going to need some advice on how and the best place to mount it also?... sorry :mrgreen:

Thanks lads!
slipn

Postby Kegsy on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:06 pm

slipn wrote:Hey guys! Super keen on doing this as soon as I can just to prevent and future dramas... and after reading cogdoc's post about sludge building up in the intercooler I am a bit concerned.

Are these the kits I should get?
http://www.westernfilters.net.au/product_info.php?cPath=138&products_id=745

Will the hoses be long enough?
And will the fittings be ok for the MN?
Basically what else should I buy?

Im going to need some advice on how and the best place to mount it also?... sorry :mrgreen:

Thanks lads!

Thats the kit I used in my MN mate, its very good. You can see the pics above (blue hoses).

They gave me more than enough hose to do the job, so much so I gave the rest to garth and I think he did his as well? So enough hose for 2 installs.
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby savagess on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:16 pm

Nice kit.
Reducers included.
Does the 3/4" fit over the Provent fittings, or you have to use the 1" silicone hose.

I'll see how long mine last, I'd say for quite some time with the heater host before going silicone hoses.

Hey check with Cogdog (Greg) if he has this kit, he's located in Brisbane if it's easier for you..

Hey Greg, no cursing, well not at you, but perhaps trying to get the 19mm (3/4") over the 1" provent fitting.
I'm very happy with my fittings, the main goal was to look factory and away from as much heat as possible,
savagess

Postby savagess on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:22 pm

slipn wrote:
I'm going to need some advice on how and the best place to mount it also?... sorry :mrgreen:

Thanks lads!

Mate, From what I've been told and researched, oil condenses better when cooled, (like air compressors with the water traps, they perform much better when the air has had time to cool)
So, near the turbo where some guys have fitted it, is not a desirable position, have a look where I fitted mine, I was trying for the fire wall or near the radiator, but decided on this.

I can give a better pic of the bracket I made, nothing much to it, and look like it belongs.
Last edited by savagess on Sun May 15, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
savagess

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:27 pm

I see you used 3/4" heater hose. I mounted mine in a similar position using 5/8" fuel hose (Pirtec's own brand). That is the size of the Mitsi hose tails (or a metric equivalent). Yours certainly wont have any hose restriction!

If you use the hose I used (5/8"), the hose will fit very neatly inside the Provent hose tails. I cleaned the hose ends with acetone and then used Loctite 480 (black superglue really) like you did. I then used black electrical heat shrink (about 3" ins long) over the Provent hose tails to neaten it up a bit.

Agreed that the Provent works well.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:29 pm

I've got my provent close to the turbo (has a decent air gap) and it catches 100% of the oil. The outlet is squeaky clean.

I'd say the filter in the provent is very efficient, if you were running a catch can with no filter medium a path away from the turbo would probably be more desirable.

Thus far no problems though, fingers crossed as I need the space near the fuel filter for the air-compressor :twisted:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:46 pm

Space is tight around these MN's, bit of a PITA to fit things sometimes :evil: .

I wonder how restrictive that Provent filter is when it is oil saturated? I guess those cunning Germans have it all figured out :lol: . The Provent 200 is rated for engines up to 250 kW so there shouldn't be any issues with our engines 8-) .

I pulled the intercooler out on Friday - very clean, which I am very happy about :) . Today on a 200km round trip it was a near constant 10 psi boost pressure (cruising 110 km/h into a strong headwind) the charge air temp hardly got above 40-42 degrees C with a 32 degree ambient. So the intercooler works pretty well I think.
Last edited by Longranger1 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby cogdoc on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:35 am

The Provent has a vent to atmosphere release valve built into the underside of the lid, so If it does become soaked and cause restriction, it just vents the pressure. I don't know of any other can with this great feature.

The Inner cartridge seems to "stop" collecting as much oil somewhere between 30-50 thou K in my experience, so I just replace it at that time. Mann reckons it;s good for 100k, but I think that's a little optimistic.
Greg Roles
Brisbane
cogdoc

Postby cogdoc on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:51 am

slipn wrote:Hey guys! Super keen on doing this as soon as I can just to prevent and future dramas... and after reading cogdoc's post about sludge building up in the intercooler I am a bit concerned.

All your intercooler will really see is the oil blowby being reintroduced into the engine, and this eventually coats the inside, mixes with fine dust that gets past your filter, and makes it a black mess over time. It's more dirty than "sludge" per say, but I've no doubt it reduces the efficiency somewhat.

The real problem is further along the inlet, usually just prior to the manifold that splits up to the various cylinders, where the exhaust gas is introduced by the EGR emission circuit. This sooty exhaust combines with blowby to make serious sludge, and this gets all over the inside of your manifold, inlet ports, back of valves, and makes a real mess of things. I'd have to say this is the main reason I reckon running a oil catch can is a good idea, unless you only intend to keep the car for a short term.
Greg Roles
Brisbane
cogdoc

Postby aframe1967 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Kegsy,

How/what did you mount the the Can to? Did you make up a bracket or were you able to get something of the shelf and utilise existing bolt holes?

Cheers
Alex
aframe1967

Postby Kegsy on Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:07 pm

aframe1967 wrote:Kegsy,

How/what did you mount the the Can to? Did you make up a bracket or were you able to get something of the shelf and utilise existing bolt holes?

Cheers
Alex

I made a bracket that uses the factory airbox mounting bolts and threads.

To my knowledge there is nothing off the shelf to suit.

Pretty much its just a piece of 25mm mild steel angle with the bottom of the length capped off and a hole drilled into the bottom to fit onto the airbox bolts, and an inverted "L" shape on top of the angle to bolt the provent to.
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Froggy on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:22 pm

Has anybody checked their intake manifold for carbon buildup after installing a catch can to prove that it is working?
I have seen lots of images with EGR as well but none with just the catch can.
Does it solve the problem or is their some buildup still from the EGR staying open?
Froggy

Postby cogdoc on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:46 pm

All I can say is that at 76thou k in my TDI with a Provent from new I had a perhaps 1mm layer of dry soot on the manifold immediately after the EGR inlet. I see WAY worse TDI's at about 30-40k with a few mm of oily grunge in comparison. Certainly reduces the buildup, makes it a lot drier, and a lot less hangs about. The inlet runners in my head have a thin, light powder coat at best, certainly nothing worth cleaning out or removing.

Provent from new, second inner element at 40k.
Greg Roles
Brisbane
cogdoc

Postby mad992 on Mon May 02, 2011 6:17 pm

froggymicb wrote:Has anybody checked their intake manifold for carbon buildup after installing a catch can to prove that it is working?
I have seen lots of images with EGR as well but none with just the catch can.
Does it solve the problem or is their some buildup still from the EGR staying open?

light sooty coating not oily crud in mine now :shock:
mad992

Postby Mongrel on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:57 pm

So why are the Provent Catch cans so expensive compared to say the Calibre catch can?? Can there be that much difference?? They are just cans and filters right??
Ain't Nothing Like a Mongrel. :twisted:
Mongrel

Oil Catch Can working

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:07 pm

The calibre catch can is just an empty can. The provent has a filter and a pressure relief valve and is designed specifically for the job.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mattz on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Mongrel wrote:So why are the Provent Catch cans so expensive compared to say the Calibre catch can?? Can there be that much difference?? They are just cans and filters right??

I thought that too, but when i had the Provent delivered i could see why it is the price it is. ;)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components