Oil Catch Can working

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Oil Catch Can working

Postby AnOldFart on Fri May 15, 2015 12:27 pm

AD07 wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:Provent seems to be the best of them. It won't fit factory hoses unless you buy it with a fitting kit. The factory fittings are 16mm and the Provent 25mm. Western filters sells it with a bracket and all the hoses.

Pretty silly with the 25mm hose really.... It just reduces down to 16mm anyway. I got quoted $154 for the fitting kit, I thought it was a little expensive.

Or if your a bit of a tite-Rse like me and you don't mind doing a bit of d.i.y. you could copy my 'home-brew' hose size adaptor / reducer method as can be seen half way down this page.... ;)
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7472&start=175
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Sun May 17, 2015 8:48 pm

cleaned out the catch can today.

I'm glad this gunk is not finding its was to the intercooler & manifold.
all up I think it would have been close to 75ml cleaned out.
IMG_0927.JPG

details of the can can be found in my build thread
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Mon May 18, 2015 10:09 am

Snooozy

What kind of Kms had you done to produce that amount of oil ??

May have to put my order in for a can sooner rather than later

Cheers
Maxiy

Postby AnOldFart on Mon May 18, 2015 2:53 pm

Just for your info 'Maxiy' at the 60,000 Kms service recently done on my old girl I emptied 15mls of collected catch-can condensate 'jooce' from the drain tube. That was 15,000 Kms -worth- that had accumulated in it since the previous service.... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Maxiy on Mon May 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks Oldfart

Think i shall be doing this modification this weekend
Maxiy

Postby Snooozy on Mon May 18, 2015 9:00 pm

Maxiy wrote:Snooozy

What kind of Kms had you done to produce that amount of oil ??

May have to put my order in for a can sooner rather than later

Cheers

not sure exactly, I didn't put it in the log last time. :oops:
I think it was about 6 mths (5000km)

I only do short trips & a lot of what was in the can was watery oil-hence the colour. Most days the engine does not reach operating temperature so it seems to get condensation.
So the catch can also removes water condensation from getting into the inlet system too.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby melba on Tue May 26, 2015 5:58 pm

Is it recommended to remove the catch can / provent if you have tonys resistor mod? Any pro's or negatives long term to keep it on.
melba

Postby AnOldFart on Thu May 28, 2015 12:11 pm

melba wrote:Is it recommended to remove the catch can / provent if you have tonys resistor mod? Any pro's or negatives long term to keep it on.

My 2 cents worth. Using Tony's, or the resistor EGR mod, only prevents carbon 'soot' from being fed back from the exhaust manifold into your inlet manifold and the associated 'clogging' issues.
The purpose of the 'catch can' is to -reduce- the 'amount' of oil that originates from engine blow-by mist and that is then 'normally' being fed back through the pcv valve into your turbo hose, intercooler and inlet manifold and hence into your engine.
Having 'less' oil passing through your turbo hose and the intercooler can only, in my opinion, be considered as an improvement because logic would dictate that it 'should' result in improved turbo hose life, and less oil build up being retained inside the body of the intercooler.... ;)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Thu May 28, 2015 3:49 pm

X2 AOFart
mad992

Postby melba on Thu May 28, 2015 5:31 pm

Thanks anoldfart I'll keep the provent on with tonys mod.
melba

Postby srb on Thu May 28, 2015 7:28 pm

Each to their own on this subject...

When I had the provent I still got a reasonable amount of oil blowing past the seals in the turbo anyway. I removed my provent nearly 100k km's ago, and just recently I found about a table spoon worth of oil in the bottom of intercooler... so I guess that shows most of the oil gets sucked right the way through the manifolds without drama, I believe it's a fairly negligible amount to cause engine wear.

I did find that I was getting oil mist up the map sensor line so I soon put a stop to that with a little inline filter.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snakesoup on Thu May 28, 2015 8:05 pm

what filter did you use srb?
snakesoup

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 28, 2015 8:14 pm

He had a provent 200. I had the same type for a while. The advice I received from someone who knows better than I ever will was that they weren't worth the effort or the risk. The concern was that the risks related to over-pressurisation (since the PCV is to release pressure but brings the oily mist with it) outweighed the long term hassles of oil build up, particularly if you could take the carbon out of the equation.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby srb on Thu May 28, 2015 9:31 pm

snakesoup wrote:what filter did you use srb?

For the vacuum hose off the manifold just use a small inline fuel filter, you can get them on line or at motorcycle/ mower shops and even some auto shops.

Click to view larger picture
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jason91 on Thu May 28, 2015 9:36 pm

This is where i'm so confused and so concerned its not funny. I haven't yet done tonys resistor mod. The car is almost one year old and only done 2,400 km LOL. That being said I want to clam in it a catch can & secondary diesel filter, concerned not to though because my stealer said if I do and it throws an engine light etc I'm up the creek without a paddle warranty wise. TBH I just want to do it but am not sure against the risk reward as to what the right course of action is.

Thoughts from the older owners??
Jason91

Postby snakesoup on Thu May 28, 2015 9:38 pm

cool thanks mate
snakesoup

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu May 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Jason91 wrote:This is where i'm so confused and so concerned its not funny. I haven't yet done tonys resistor mod. The car is almost one year old and only done 2,400 km LOL. That being said I want to clam in it a catch can & secondary diesel filter, concerned not to though because my stealer said if I do and it throws an engine light etc I'm up the creek without a paddle warranty wise. TBH I just want to do it but am not sure against the risk reward as to what the right course of action is.

Thoughts from the older owners??

Older owners? yikes...

None of those should cause warning lights or major failures. The EGR resistor you can remove before a service in all of 2 minutes and probably should do that. I've run a 2 micron filter as have several other 'older' members for a couple of years now with no issues. In fact on the MN they recently started using slightly finer OEM filters than what they originally came out with.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby destorman on Fri May 29, 2015 6:16 am

Jason91 wrote:This is where i'm so confused and so concerned its not funny. I haven't yet done tonys resistor mod. The car is almost one year old and only done 2,400 km LOL. That being said I want to clam in it a catch can & secondary diesel filter, concerned not to though because my stealer said if I do and it throws an engine light etc I'm up the creek without a paddle warranty wise. TBH I just want to do it but am not sure against the risk reward as to what the right course of action is ...

^^^^ :idea: ...

+1 ...

Having had the 2010 MN for 5 years and getting the carbon build up in it (fixed under warranty some time back and starting to get issues again on lead up to end of 130,000km warranty period), and having read and heard about the issue on this forum forever, just not sure what to do with the 2015 MN we just picked up.

I read the EGR blank is not the recommended solution now (as it was a few years back) but now the solution is "tony's electronic mod" ... and now, also reading some comments against the catch can concept.

I am mechanically challenged; understand the basic concepts of it all, but have no solid experience to fall back on.

Confused and concerned - that's us too. :?
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby destorman on Fri May 29, 2015 6:22 am

colin b wrote:I spoke to my dealership the other day about my fuel consumption and ran the catch-can idea past the service Manager. To my surprise he approved of the idea ... I will be interested to see what sort of quote they come up with for fitting ...

Did you get a price for it installed by the dealer?
The best surfer is the one having the most fun ... :mrgreen:
destorman

Postby RHKTriton on Fri May 29, 2015 8:10 am

Provided a catch can doesn't provide any restriction to gas flow in or out of the engine breather there is nothing negative that a dealer could pick on.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kouta666 on Fri May 29, 2015 9:00 am

destorman wrote:I read the EGR blank is not the recommended solution now (as it was a few years back) but now the solution is "tony's electronic mod"

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the EGR blank is still better than nothing, but the SPV mod is a better solution now due to it not throwing engine trouble faults. I went with the blank as it's $10 compared to $150
kouta666

Postby biggibbo on Fri May 29, 2015 9:44 am

destorman wrote:
Jason91 wrote:This is where i'm so confused and so concerned its not funny. I haven't yet done tonys resistor mod. The car is almost one year old and only done 2,400 km LOL. That being said I want to clam in it a catch can & secondary diesel filter, concerned not to though because my stealer said if I do and it throws an engine light etc I'm up the creek without a paddle warranty wise. TBH I just want to do it but am not sure against the risk reward as to what the right course of action is ...

^^^^ :idea: ...

+1 ...

Having had the 2010 MN for 5 years and getting the carbon build up in it (fixed under warranty some time back and starting to get issues again on lead up to end of 130,000km warranty period), and having read and heard about the issue on this forum forever, just not sure what to do with the 2015 MN we just picked up.

I read the EGR blank is not the recommended solution now (as it was a few years back) but now the solution is "tony's electronic mod" ... and now, also reading some comments against the catch can concept.

I am mechanically challenged; understand the basic concepts of it all, but have no solid experience to fall back on.

Confused and concerned - that's us too. :?

Get the carbon cleaned out, put the resistor mod in, forget the catch can, and motor on for the next 10 years trouble free.

Mine has had the resistor in (blank before that) for the last 230,000 and pulled the intercooler, intake etc recently and hardly any oil anywhere. Like SRB there was a bit in the MAP line, so I sprayed a bit of MAF cleaner up the MAP sensor and replaced the vac line. Never thought of the inline filter for the MAP hose but will add one for sure

I would say based on my experience, and volume of KM, if you are stopping the soot, forget the catch can.
biggibbo

Postby AnOldFart on Fri May 29, 2015 11:43 am

In response to your request for feedback from 'older' members "Jason".... ;) I'd agree that the carbon soot is certainly the -biggest- problem of the two. I've already fitted a 'catch-can' as well as the resistor-mod and so I'll be leaving the can in situ but, I agree with others on here that the catch-can is the less 'nescessary' of the two mods to be 'worried' about fitting.... ;)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Fri May 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Old member here as well , I have a catch can fitted and the blanking plate with a 6mm hole , and i am happy :)
mad992

Postby Snooozy on Fri May 29, 2015 6:38 pm

from another 'old' member, I had a blank in from about 3200km & now have the early version Tony in loom EGR resistor.

I have also had a catch can in for the best part on 5 years or 57000km.
I empty the can every 6 mths or so & get about 75ml each time. What I do get out of it is a light chocolate coloured mix of watery oil.
I do a lot of short trips & due to this the engine does not get to warm up properly. I believe this is why I get a lot of moisture in the can.
My take on this is-
If you do mostly short trips, use a catch can.
If you do longer trips where the engine get to operating temp then a catch can may not be as necessary.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components