Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Oil Catch Can working

Postby brodical on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:13 am

Click to view larger picture
Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture
Threw the pics in here mate....cheers
Choices we make not the chances we take determine who we are...
brodical

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:15 am

Is that hose oil resistant? I only ask because it says heater hose which suggests it's for water/coolant rather than oil.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby macca002 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:21 am

I think it would take a while for the oil to have any effect on the hose, even if its not oil resistant. Guess oil resistant base would be better.

Is a tidy install.
macca002

Postby brodical on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:28 am

By the time the oil vapour eats that hose......along time....anyway consider it a consumable lol....oil resistant obviously better but harder to source in that size...I'm not concerned in the slightest ...ill add I've had this setup for a while jst threw the pics up for a fellow member...cheers
brodical

Postby brodical on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:39 am

Should get a bit of heater hose and sit it in a jar of oil jst at see what happens lol
brodical

Postby macca002 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:44 am

brodie wrote:Should get a bit of heater hose and sit it in a jar of oil jst at see what happens lol

Will get soft and sticky after a while. If you squeeze your hoses and they stick shut, then its time to replace. I am sure you will be fine for a long time. You will also notice the ends where they push on to the barbs become swollen and rubbery.
macca002

Postby andriesvdv on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:11 am

Inspired after doing the EGR blanking yesterday, going to do some online shopping for a catch can this weekend :D
andriesvdv

Postby brodical on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:12 pm

andriesvdv wrote:Inspired after doing the EGR blanking yesterday, going to do some online shopping for a catch can this weekend :D

Jst a tip mate try source one that has 5/8 or 15 mm ish barbs on it makes it alot easier and doesn't restrict flow as much either...
brodical

Postby dan.batto on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Emptied the catch can the other day, Click to view larger picture

About 3-6 months worth there.
dan.batto

Postby mad992 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:11 am

hey dan,

yeah that seems to be the amount we all seem to stop going back into our intake horrible isnt it :?

on a brighter note ,i like the look of your stubbie on the tailgate,its a one stubbie job :lol:
mad992

Postby srb on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:43 am

I've just removed my Provent permanently! From my experience of having these catch cans I now think there're a wast of time and money.:eek: Its probably still worth having one it if you haven't blanked the EGR though. ;-)
Even with my Provent hooked up I was still getting oil through from the turbo seals anyways.:roll:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodeddy on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:09 am

hi,
i have tried to look for answer re search, but can't find anything similar.
I have fitted an oil catch can... It works very well but i still find the 'slightest' bit of oily mist still sitting in the turbo inlet..
I want to take the hose that comes from the catch can to the turbo out, block the hole on the turbo inlet duct, and re-route this hose from the catch can to the bottom of the air filter box.
My thoughts are that it will still pull the gases through, and as much as nearly all the oil is caught in the catch can, the last remaining, which is ever so slight, will be caught up in the air filter.
A 'very slight' oily mist to the air filter won't hurt it at all. I would rather clean and change air filters a little more often and keep the turbo inlet etc oil free completely.
Has anyone tried this?
any negative effects i haven't thought of?
cheers, Rod :D
rodeddy

Postby snakesoup on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:16 am

hi mate the post above yours explains that even with the catch can that the turbo seals leak some oil anyway..could be the oil your seeing ...a little bit of mist that the can doesn't catch will most likely do no further harm...
snakesoup

Postby rodeddy on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:43 am

hi,
i did consider that but the oily residue is also on the inlet duct going to the turbo, post the connection where the pcv hose is attached. Prior to where the hose attached the inlet duct is dry. So it can only really be what the catch can is slightly passing .... i was only thinking of eliminating oily residue all together re catch can removes near all and the last tiny bit gets caught up in air filter.... hence nothing should get in the inlet ducting at all.
cheers, Rod

snakesoup wrote:hi mate the post above yours explains that even with the catch can that the turbo seals leak some oil anyway..could be the oil your seeing ...a little bit of mist that the can doesn't catch will most likely do no further harm...
rodeddy

Postby macca002 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Emptied my catch can today. More oil in it than I was expecting, and filled the small cut down plastic dish and poured out into my engine bay.

Would be a good couple of months worth of build up though. Checked the dipstick and no noticeable decrease in oil, which was good to know.
macca002

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Which type of catch can are you using? Might just need better filter media?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Oil Catch Can working

Postby snakesoup on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:19 pm

you will still have a build up of oil residue in both the inter cooler and inlet manifold even if the catch can is taking out 100 % of the oil mist from the crank case vent...so as said before the little bit the can doesn't catch will have very negligible impact on the vehicles intake..if your still worried about it you could block off the 5/8 inlet on the turbo duct and jst vent your catch can to atmosphere via another small filter...personally I would not connect it to the air box as you stated....but if you do go ahead with that then you have all that muck building up In you air box that you would have to clean.. " not ideal ".. but each to there own..
snakesoup

Postby AnOldFart on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:30 pm

rodeddy wrote:hi,
i have tried to look for answer etc...etc...
I want to take the hose that comes from the catch can to the turbo out, block the hole on the turbo inlet duct, and re-route this hose from the catch can to the bottom of the air filter box.
etc...etc... Has anyone tried this? any negative effects i haven't thought of?

Hi Rod,
Mate, x2 for 'snakesoup's comments, -plus- I don't think sucking oil vapour / mist through your air filter element is going to do your MAF Sensor's tiny but -very- expensive :o Platinum wire Elements any good either, seeing as how they need to be 'squeaky-clean' in order to work properly. :shock:
But hey, once they started playing up on you, then that would give me -yet another opportunity- to 'sing the praises' of CRC MAF Spray Cleaner available for $25 from Soupycheep.... ;) :) :D :lol: See, every cloud does have a Silver lining after all... :lol:
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodeddy on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:07 pm

thanks guys ..... i did empty the catch can, got about 50ml oil out. Have cleaned the filter etc and put back in .... i was just thinking out allowed after doing this job, but i think i will simply leave as is and continue as is ..
rodeddy

Postby krimmo on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:01 pm

sooo.... advice. just hit 1500km on my new triton.

should i provent or not seems pretty easy to do. do i need it thou?
krimmo

Postby viking shippy on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:10 pm

No mate you don't need one ...just pay around $13000 every 30k for a carbon clean out..of both manifolds...and she will run sweet....or fit Tonys et mod and a catch can..and she will run sweet at a minimum one off cost...
Have a read mate plenty of info here..
viking shippy

Postby krimmo on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:23 pm

i have read.
thanks for the advice.
Last edited by krimmo on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krimmo

Postby mad992 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:23 pm

viking shippy wrote:No mate you don't need one ...just pay around $13000 every 30k for a carbon clean out..of both manifolds...and she will run sweet....or fit Tonys et mod and a catch can..and she will run sweet at a minimum one off cost...

sheez :? you must have more money than sense you manly supporters :oops:
mad992

Postby krimmo on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:49 pm

haha go the roosters!!
krimmo

Postby viking shippy on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:44 am

mad992 wrote:
viking shippy wrote:No mate you don't need one ...just pay around $13000 every 30k for a carbon clean out..of both manifolds...and she will run sweet....or fit Tonys et mod and a catch can..and she will run sweet at a minimum one off cost...

sheez :? you must have more money than sense you manly supporters :oops:

Nope couldn't you read my element of sarcasm..mad...I choose option. 2..
viking shippy

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components