Super select jumping out of gear

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Postby Mikew on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Went for a bit of a blast over the long weekend, going down a resonably steep rutted hill transmission in low, transefercase in llcl. Bloody thing kept jumping up of low range in the transfer case and netralizing itself, found my self hurtling down at a great rate of knots.
I have booked it in at the stealers but unless they have mountain to test it on they wont be able to replicate it.
Has enyone else had this problem??
There's more ways to kill a cat other than shoving strawberries up its arse
Mikew

Re: Super select jumping out of gear

Postby John 1 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:41 am

Mike had same problem. I will explain in 2001 bought a new 2800cc 4wd manual gearbox strada so went testing on a steep down hill slope in low then all of a sudden bang it jumped out of gear so stopped and put it back in again and same happened it scared the crap out of me it was a hell of a bang.
so took in for Mitsu to look and they checked and couldn't find what was the reason they put a new selector lever on but when testing same problem. Then they made phone calls to head office and after about 3 weeks a new transfer box was sent and installed since then no problem. I don't know if they use same transfer box from then to now but would assume so. I will say this is in Thailand. Let's know how you get on damn pain when a vehicle is new
John 1

Postby Mikew on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Just a quick update, went to the stealers today, showed them the videos I have taken of the car jumping out of gear.
Basically nothing they can do, they have to book it in for the rep to have a look and then decide what to do.
Mikew

Postby kevin on Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:12 am

Slightly different problem but maybe this is how they fixed the original problem in this thread.

Found on very steep descents with my MN and a brand new Challenger, both super select autos, that 1st low (manually selected on sports shift) will jump to 2nd unless the brake is also used to slow it down. The main problem is that when it changes up it has a slingshot effect which is a bit scary on a steep slippery slope and you're heading straight for a tree :o
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

MN transfer dropping out of low range

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:52 pm

Okay so I have an issue with my transfer case.

There have been some posts about similar issues in this thread http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3300&hilit=low+range#p48275 although the original poster was on about something different.

I posted in the above thread that when i was in Coffs I had the Triton drop out of 4 low while using engine braking on a hill descent. I've since been able to duplicate the problem repeatedly. Obviously it will be a warranty job but before I drag it back to MMAL I thought I might see if the collective wisdom has any ideas.

So, MN, 5 speed auto. 33,000 or so on the clock. Hasn't done too much hard work offroad in its life. Now twin locked (air lockers) but had this problem beforehand so not locker related.

To replicate the problem all I have to do is find a decent hill, select low range (4LLC) use the sportshift to select 1st gear (it has never done it in any other gear or in drive) and begin descending a hill. If I use the brakes so that I'm not solely relying on the engine for braking it doesn't happen. Once I take my foot off the brake and it gets a little speed (less than 15k an hour, quite slow but haven't watched to check the speed) I get this huge thumping noise and then one of two things happens.

In most cases the transfer lever literally pops out of position and goes into neutral between 4HLC and 4LLC. No more engine braking and no more forward drive. Not a good thing when on a steep incline. All the 4wd lights go out.

On some occasions recently I get the thump, shit myself, and then realise it hasn't actually popped out.

At Coffs I was asked if I might have bumped it with my knee. I was confident I hadn't but have been watching now to be sure. I had another driver give it a go and I'm confident he didn't hit the lever/stick either. Same result though.

Only happens on the downhill. Right as rain when on the flat or going hard uphill.

Now I have some more symptoms but I don't know if they're related. I fear they are. It's been raining in Sydney this week. 3 times now I've gone to change to 4H on the fly and had the stick go straight through to 4HLC :shock: I'm sure you're supposed to press the knob in to access 4HLC but here it was flying straight through. The last time it happened it wouldn't come back out to 4H. The lever was jammed much as Kitty described in her thread about being stuck in 4H. I wrenched it out. Stuck it in neutral and tried again and got it jammed in 4HLC again :oops: :oops: Idiot. I managed to yank it out again but not without difficulty.

So I'm thinking that whatever gates or whatever it is that are supposed to sit between these gears aren't operating in my case. Or the release that is activated when you depress the knob is stuck activated so that I can throw into 4HLC and so it can pop back out of 4LLC. But I concede I basically have no clue.

I'm keen to try and work it out because I am fairly confident the dealer will look at me all perplexed and then when I pick it up they'll tell me they couldn't replicate the problem. At least if I have an idea what the issue might be they might not try to bullshit me. Maybe. :roll:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Re: MN transfer dropping out of low range

Postby fraz91 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:19 pm

From the feel of my car's transfer, all you do to get from 4H to 4HLc is just pull it closer to your knee and then push forwards. AFAIK you only have to push down to get 4LLc. I've never had this happen to my vehicle, that being said I've got the manual. From memory BK has an auto as well, so maybe it's an inherent issue with the 5spd auto and the SS? :s

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Might have my wires crossed about my knob :oops: :oops: better RTFM. But still it's not a straight through gear change is it, there should be a definite deviation towards the driver before going forward some more.

Cowboy Dave

MN transfer dropping out of low range

Postby motoz on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:47 pm

FWIW I have the MN Auto and it won't stay in 4HLc it just jumps out and the 4WD lights turn off.

It's either 4H or 4Lc no in-between :(
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:51 pm

It's not a straight through gear change, no. Mine tends to fly from 4HLc to 2H when i drag it backwards, but won't go from 4H to 4HLc unless i pull it across. Maybe the gateways have worn out prematurely and that's causing your issues?

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:16 pm

Just stumbled on this thread which is similar to one I recently started about mine doing the same thing. Can't think why I couldn't remember reading it before. Good thing no one told me to use the search when I started mine off. :roll: :roll: :oops:

Mikew, what happened with yours? Has it been fixed, do you know what they did?

Kevin in your scenario is the transfer selector actually jumping out of place or are you just gathering speed as the transmission changes up? Mine physically moves (and makes a god awful thud) and the transfer is then in neutral and the auto still in 1st.

Just trying to tie down whether we're all talking about the same thing. If we are I can merge these threads later but it would be helpful to know what has happened for others, particularly when the inevitable happens and the dealer mechanic says 'hmm, never heard of that happening before' or 'sorry, couldn't replicate the problem' which I think a few of us have heard before.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Bad Kitty on Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:46 pm

Yep mine does this too :evil: part if the super select issues that I'm dealing with MMAL about :roll:
Agreed bloody unnerving when it happens where you'd least like it to!
Bad Kitty

Postby Bad Kitty on Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Oh forgot to mention it actually did this to the service guys, general reaction was :shock: and :? About what to do next.
Will let you know if commonwealth motors are able to give any assistance.
Ive had this issue and where it locks 2H and 4H since I bought it. Sorry can't post the link as I'm on iPhone but there is a decent thread about it happening now and not to just 1 of us, so I'm wondering if they are not interconnected?
Bad Kitty

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Yeah I saw the jamming thread. I've had that 2 or 3 times now but had the jumping out of 4LLC first. Your dealer can see mine too next week if they work out how to fix it... would save me having to persuade a new dealer about the issue. You have a manual though don't you? That would at least rule out any connection to the auto transmission I guess.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Bad Kitty on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:26 pm

Nah sorry CD - I have an auto too :roll:
Bad Kitty

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Hmm wonder where I let myself get misled there? Oh well the jamming thing is not isolated to autos anyway as Tony had it with his and he's a definite manual driver. Interesting if the popping thing is only autos though. Checking MikeW it seems his was an auto too.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Mikew on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:34 pm

It was a transfer case problem with mine, going down hill it would jump out of gear and neutralize itself, they ended up replacing the transfer case with a new unit. Had to go for a drive with the rep but he was ok booked it in and was done no problem.
Mikew

Postby Bad Kitty on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Not mislead CD - mine has done both. Fortunately it's only locked itself once, but the jumping out of 4LLC happens a lot (both 5th and Wallace witnessed it that infamous rescue run :roll: ) will let you know if they can fix CD and refer you through to them :D
Bad Kitty

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks MikeW, helpful to complete the picture.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Topics merged. Hopefully it doesn't look too messy but best to try and keep all of this in one place if possible.

Cowboy Dave

Postby kevin on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:21 am

Cowboy Dave wrote: Kevin in your scenario is the transfer selector actually jumping out of place or are you just gathering speed as the transmission changes up? Mine physically moves (and makes a god awful thud) and the transfer is then in neutral and the auto still in 1st.

The transfer selector stays put and the auto changes up to 2nd.
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby borngeek on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:10 am

May as well put here...

On a recent trip I had my transfer jump out going uphill.. ie. stuck in angel gear mode could not get the lever out so stranded...

With a winch, and a few strong fella's, we managed to rock the car and it popped into gear and everything went back to normal...

However, then I started to get the same issue as CD is.. Jumping out in 4Llc 1st. (auto)

Recently had the transfer drained and they found many metal shavings in there... :lol:
Oil was replaced with:
Valvoline Duragear 75W85 a synthetic blend.

Problem, so far, solved... and I have been down steep enough hills that would usually pop it out. ;) ;)

Worth trying, if you have the problem start. :geek:

//I do not believe it is the same issue as CD has? His is a faulty transfer, IMO... Worth a try, still, for <$30 worth of oil.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Okay so just bumping this thread up in the hope of getting some feedback from other triton owners who have had this problem and had it fixed. I know there are a couple out there. Does anyone have anything to offer as to what was found to be the problem? I'm looking to finally get mine fixed having found a dealer that actually knows what low range is but ideally would like to speed up the diagnosis if anyone has any clues to share.

Cowboy Dave

Postby jamespb78 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:24 am

I know this is an old thread, but any updates to this problem?

I have the same issue. 2014 MN Auto, transfer lever pops out of low range when descending steep hill in low range 1st gear. I also get the loud thump when it happens, and car wants to bolt away.

Did anyone else manage to track down the issue? Car is kinda useless as a 4WD currently.
jamespb78

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:06 pm

It's a known problem and dealers have a fix for it, replacing a plastic piece under the gearshift, IIRC.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby jamespb78 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:33 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:It's a known problem and dealers have a fix for it, replacing a plastic piece under the gearshift, IIRC.

Thanks. Car is long out of warranty, and I'd rather not go to a dealer - never had a good experience yet.

If anyone can provide more details on this known problem it'd be most appreciated so that I can give current mechanics something to go on.

Thanks.
jamespb78

Next

Return to Drive Train Components