Some info on Triton Drive train

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: ratios on different models & the affect going bigger rub

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:29 am

My diff has the numbers on it on a sticker from memory. Might be worth sticking your head under for a quick look?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby srb on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:35 am

AussieAnth wrote:Hi All

I'm about to put 265/70/16's muddies on a new set of rims for weekend play. Have decided on +30 offset on 8" wide rims.

Just read this post below from this thread, and its got me a tad worried about gear ratios.
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5719&start=25

Hay Saltydawg, yeah you will notice a bit of difference with them tyres. Depends on what diff ratios you have... Most of the MN's run 3.9's and handle them fine. Mine is a GLX that came with 3.6 ratios which was no good at that size with any sort of load on the back... Had to swap them down a size to 245/75/16 to make it more drivable. :(

I've got a MY13 GLX. Since most guys have GLX-R's, I'm concerned all the advice I'm getting might be skewed if most have differnet ratios to mine. and i think this poster SRB has a 2011 GLX Club cab. Would mine have 3.6 or 3.9 ratio's? Is it a GLX vs GLX-R thing, or a Dual Cab vs Club Cab thing? Or has SRB fitted different ratios after market?

Sorry for the noobie question. Still learning.....

Check your axle code on the little plate under your bonnet... last 4 digits 3692 means you have 3.692 diff ratio or 3917 means you have normal 3.917 that most have. Or as CD said check if you have sticker on the diff housing that says what ratio. ;)

I used to have the 3.6 ratios and tried to put 32' tyres on but it was horrible to drive. The opportunity for cheap front axel and rear diff came up so I swapped out.. Means I could run the 32' tyres without effecting drivability too much. I'm on the look out for the 4.1 or better out of the ML's only if they come up cheap though :roll: . I think the 4.1's would be perfect on the MN with 32' tyres.. Fraz has done it to his MN it and reports better drivability and fuel economy. ;)
Any way my bet is you'll have the 3.9 diff's in your's because your glx came with factory alloys and flares. ;) Some glx's like mine only came with skinny steel wheels and no flares. :roll:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Some info on Triton Drive train

Postby AussieAnth on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:29 am

Awesome, thanks SRB.
I'll stick my head under and check out the diff while putting breathers in, hopefully this weekend.
MY13 GLX Plus pack dual cab Triton.

My MN & ML Triton WORKSHOP MANUAL page on DropBox. Take a look.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mmyqr05gb8c8hgv/eKE4W216Dj

FORUM DIRECTORY
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8230
AussieAnth
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Bilbo on Mon May 26, 2014 12:42 pm

4wd26 wrote:as far as we know no one has done the pajero conversion to confirm

I may or may not have some front and rear pajero diffs here to do the conversion- just have to find time

If I can get it to work, I will let the forum know

Hi there 26,

Has there been any updates in regard to this topic? Have you had a chance or are able to confirm the Pajero diff centre conversion?

Has anyone tried it yet?

Cheers Brett
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby 4wd26 on Mon May 26, 2014 12:56 pm

I have pajero front and rear factory locked diff sitting at home but have not had the time or money to do this yet.
bit like the transfer case gears install.

need to sell some tyres and rims to build back up my "triton accessories fund"
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Bilbo on Mon May 26, 2014 6:49 pm

4wd26 wrote:I have pajero front and rear factory locked diff sitting at home but have not had the time or money to do this yet.
bit like the transfer case gears install.

need to sell some tyres and rims to build back up my "triton accessories fund"

Hmmmmm.............. what to do?

I need to hit some wrecking yards I think.

Thanks.
" W R O N G "
Bilbo

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:27 pm

So do all these diff / axle options all fit into the same diff and axle housings?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby stefanos on Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:44 am

Τhe front diff from paj it's exactly the same....I already have (from when I built my locker) two more planetary gears on it and an inner shaft from paj......I have a front set ring and pinion 4.3 for front,but it's difficult to find 9" 4.3 for the rear......so I'm looking for 4.636 or 4.625
stefanos

Postby xagtho on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi guys, the paj, challenger, delica and triton have all shared the same diffs at one time or another, and some still currently.

heaps of the ratios are interchangeable, and I'm 99% sure that the 4.9s etc from the '02 onwards triton are a drop in affair, prior to '02 they have the same ratios, but in the 9" variety.
xagtho

Postby triton_guru on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:08 pm

Is that the same for the front diffs aswell? I just priced up a new front diff at 4.3 ratio and mitsi said will be around 1200 just for the front so not going to happen lol maybe if they are off a old mk triton could be alot cheaper if not reduction gears
triton_guru

Postby Mudme on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:19 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151400562133

There's a 4.3 center for you
Mudme

Postby mIwoo on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:10 pm

pretty sure the GLR auto's had 4.1 ratio diffs too
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:21 pm

Mudme wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151400562133

There's a 4.3 center for you

Need the front one too.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Mudme on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:46 pm

Hey it's a start
Mudme

Postby triton_guru on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Haha i would like some 4.6 if there are any
triton_guru

Postby mIwoo on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:33 pm

srb wrote:
AussieAnth wrote:Hi All

I'm about to put 265/70/16's muddies on a new set of rims for weekend play. Have decided on +30 offset on 8" wide rims.

Just read this post below from this thread, and its got me a tad worried about gear ratios.
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5719&start=25

Hay Saltydawg, yeah you will notice a bit of difference with them tyres. Depends on what diff ratios you have... Most of the MN's run 3.9's and handle them fine. Mine is a GLX that came with 3.6 ratios which was no good at that size with any sort of load on the back... Had to swap them down a size to 245/75/16 to make it more drivable. :(

I've got a MY13 GLX. Since most guys have GLX-R's, I'm concerned all the advice I'm getting might be skewed if most have differnet ratios to mine. and i think this poster SRB has a 2011 GLX Club cab. Would mine have 3.6 or 3.9 ratio's? Is it a GLX vs GLX-R thing, or a Dual Cab vs Club Cab thing? Or has SRB fitted different ratios after market?

Sorry for the noobie question. Still learning.....

Check your axle code on the little plate under your bonnet... last 4 digits 3692 means you have 3.692 diff ratio or 3917 means you have normal 3.917 that most have. Or as CD said check if you have sticker on the diff housing that says what ratio. ;)

I used to have the 3.6 ratios and tried to put 32' tyres on but it was horrible to drive. The opportunity for cheap front axel and rear diff came up so I swapped out.. Means I could run the 32' tyres without effecting drivability too much. I'm on the look out for the 4.1 or better out of the ML's only if they come up cheap though :roll: . I think the 4.1's would be perfect on the MN with 32' tyres.. Fraz has done it to his MN it and reports better drivability and fuel economy. ;)
Any way my bet is you'll have the 3.9 diff's in your's because your glx came with factory alloys and flares. ;) Some glx's like mine only came with skinny steel wheels and no flares. :roll:

about your comment 4.1's on the mn with 32's- I agree but i also think the best would be 4.3 ratios with 33's 8-)
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby srb on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:01 pm

Yep what ever floats ya boat. ;-). I'm not going into the 32 vs 33s debate. :lol::roll:

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mIwoo on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:03 pm

lol, fe

did you have to swap out the rear axle changing over to 3.9's or just the centres?
mIwoo

Postby srb on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Narr just the centers. ;-)

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ent on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi

More a Challenger/Triton question. Very interested in the Marks lower transfer gear. The issue is what generation is the Challenger manual 2014? Now the Challenger runs the full super select system while many 4x4 Tritons run the cut down version. I read earlier that the Triton is largely generation 2 but is that the full super select system?

Also read on other threads that generation 2 gears are non existent new and limited to 2.7 if at all available.

Also some clarification on the rear diff. The Challenger runs a diff locker but open front. Can you get a LSD option? To add to the confusion I read on another forum a claim the the Pajero diff locker is also a LSD.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Ent

Postby har05l on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:18 pm

Ent wrote:Hi

More a Challenger/Triton question. Very interested in the Marks lower transfer gear. The issue is what generation is the Challenger manual 2014? Now the Challenger runs the full super select system while many 4x4 Tritons run the cut down version. I read earlier that the Triton is largely generation 2 but is that the full super select system?

Also read on other threads that generation 2 gears are non existent new and limited to 2.7 if at all available.

Also some clarification on the rear diff. The Challenger runs a diff locker but open front. Can you get a LSD option? To add to the confusion I read on another forum a claim the the Pajero diff locker is also a LSD.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

No idea on the gen series, I know them as ml and mn :lol:

As for your front diff question you can't get or run a LSD in the front, imagine the binding that would occur running super select on road :roll:. Your only option is to lock it up.

As for the paj with a locker/LSD combo, I highly doubt it :roll: , don't beleive everything you read ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:48 am

Ent wrote:Hi

Challenger and triton guys have fitted the gen 2 gears without problems (this includes easy and super select transfers)

3.15 low range gears (golden cogs) were able to be sourced (were part of a group buy) they are now limited to 2.7 ratio as marks adapters decided that the customers wanted a gearset that did not require modification to the transfer (grinding alloy) at the expense of larger ratio slower crawl. The 3.15 gearsets are unobtainium but can be bought from guys that have not had them fitted- ag9111 has a set of manual available, and I sold my auto set 1 month ago to a challenger owner ;)

Most of the ML triton range and the base model MN triton ran a LSD rear diff
largly dropped in the MN range due to the introduction of traction control
the pajero rear diff lock is the same as the triton / challenger factory locking diff in that if it is not locked than it is "open"

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Also note that guys have change out ratios in the MN model (3.9) to 4.1 gears from the ML triton
some have also increase their ratio from 3.6 to 3.9

they have also included the LSD from the triton into the traction controlled MN.

plenty of driveline info here and the information is directly compatible with the challenger
we even have a challenger section within the forum ;)

enjoy reading
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby mIwoo on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:57 am

I was looking upsizing my 3.9's (MN with TC) to the ML's 4.1's with rear LSD but at $1600 plus installation, I gave up on that idea. Thats a lot of fuel for offroading and enjoying what I have.
mIwoo

Postby mIwoo on Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:41 pm

So, I'm revisiting the idea of swapping out my diff centres. Hypothetically, if I change my 3.9's out for 4.3's and run 33's I know this; that I will almost return to factory gearing. Will I still chew juice with this new gearing with the 33's, or will the return to near factory Gearing also return near factory fuel economy? How much of a difference would there be? Cheers.
mIwoo

Some info on Triton Drive train

Postby motoz on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:24 pm

Interesting question.
Yes your gearing will be back to standard, acceleration will increase though the downside is now you will be running higher RPM at cruise than what you were with the 33's fitted with the standard gearing.

One thing that gets overlooked is the weight difference between the standard tires and the 33's. The larger rotating mass effects economy without a doubt.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components