The Automatic Transmission - talk shit thread

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Postby snowman on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:47 pm

ok guys this is the thread i want people to post ideas, research, links etc for anything auto gearbox particularly tuning or possible mods.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Re: The Automatic Transmission - talk shit thread

Postby Storm Trooper on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:56 pm

:D
been thinking about this for a while now.... doing the following to help out with the somewhat sheepish auto trans
- stage 1 or 2 kit
- smaller torque convertor

been told by a few mates with modified cars. this will improve gear shifts positive engagement, quicker shifts and better fuel economy.

also it would be great if they made a lockup manual control kit, for the steep climbs/descends, proves 100% engine braking and eliminates any convertor slippage. Snowman i think you were saying that they have made these for the Paj.

Wholesale automatic transmissions have some info on their website... but their in melbourne and still have not responded to my email.... does anyone know someone that is quality here in Sydney we could try.
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby snowman on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:46 am

i was recommended one in Minto but they are not really into modifications - just rebuilds etc.

Justin from Chip It is sending his to Melbourne for some work. Not sure if it is these guys

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/default.asp

but he was talking about a stage one valve kit. Not heard anything about a smaller TC but there are manual controllers, just not sure if they are available for our G'box. Luckily i think we share some Paj genetics which brings up the numbers a bit.

One thing posters in this thread should nominate is if they have the 4 or 5 speed. i have the ML 4 speed.

If you read the later 4WD Action mags the above company are now advertising the Paj and Triton as well so hopefully they have some R&D. Don't know of anyone who can mode the ECU-Transmission software though.

i have previously been focussed on suspension, Engine ECU/Chip and other bits and now turning my attention to the gearbox.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:23 am

great idea snowman!! :D

I have made enquiries on the cooler. This is a PWR cooler there are other brands but PWR seem quality..
They have offered to tidy the price for larger orders as well. 8-)

<SNIP>
We do not have a bolt in kit for the Triton, you would need to use one of our off the shelf universal kits depending whether the standard lines are a 5/16 or 3/8 line.
These kits sell for $129 + gst and include hoses clamps and heavy duty 280x255x19mm cooler

I have emailed Justin at chipIT to see where he going with his! ;)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tokirky on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Yeah a decent cooler has to be the first mod for the Auto - will be a great "group buy" item ;)

I thought the ML already had one but ??? might have to have a better look....
If its worth doin' its worth doin' right !
tokirky

Postby patto on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:55 am

Its funny you ask about the cooler - when i was in the process off my Triton being replaced (ML 4speed) i recieved a phone call from the dealer asking if i had put a transmission cooler on my original car i advised the that i had not.. They siad that strange " you original ML has a transmission cooler (was not super select) and the replacement car (super select) does not have one... They ended up fitting the cooler to the new one as they know i tow and do a fair bit of off road work...
I HATE THE GREENS!!!!!
patto

Postby borngeek on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:13 am

That is interesting patto... going to actually look to see if I have one now :shock: your replacement is a ML MY09 4 speed like mine yes? (MFG MAR09 - the lastish batch before MN)

now I have had the dreaded light a few times and was naughty and didnt stop on one of them.. always towing or in sand. starting to think I need to move this and a service to the top of my list after some extra research.. :mrgreen:

Been reading up further on darkside and elsewhere.. debate about too big and too low a operating temp not allowing TC to lock up.. overall the comments of those that have done it is a improvement with no overheating and no sign of issues. some have retained the stock cooler and a valve to aftermarket and use aftermarket when towing. some have whacked a temp probe in too.. theres gotta be a way to get the temp from OBD researching that as well.. and so are the lux boys.. they seem to get overheat easier than us.. I really need to push it to get a light.

some light reading

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:16 am

patto wrote:Its funny you ask about the cooler - when i was in the process off my Triton being replaced (ML 4speed) i recieved a phone call from the dealer asking if i had put a transmission cooler on my original car i advised the that i had not.. They siad that strange " you original ML has a transmission cooler (was not super select) and the replacement car (super select) does not have one... They ended up fitting the cooler to the new one as they know i tow and do a fair bit of off road work...

That is interesting! i have last of the ML's as well and i thought the puny cooler was for the auto as well! Need to get to the bottom of that. The small cooler i suspected was for the auto (may be A/C need to look more carefully) may be in an air shadow from my bullbar.....?

i drove to Newcastle on F3 yesterday and back and the g'box was hooking up nicely - it was holding the TC at moderate power levels at around 110. i started with a full tank and topped on return and got just over 10l/100klm. that included peak hour traffic out of Newcastle CBD as well.

i did not turn the windscreen wipers off once both ways and was wondering if the extra water through the front of the car was providing a better cooling. makes sense with a cooler but not if i dont have one! it drove like i reckon it should yesterday. the other time i have had excellent milage and a similiar feel was a night trip home from Canberra in the winter (sub 10 degrees).

This cooler issue is definately the first thing to do i agree.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sam on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:07 am

I would genuinely not run a any 4wd auto without a cooler on it let alone a normal vehicle after seeing what happens to them with a bit of stress and heat :shock:

Interest that it looks like the old ML's had a cooler factory fitted and the later one haven't, this wouldn't be Mits trying to save a dollar again would it :? surely they wouldn't cut corners that much . :? :roll:
sam

Postby daryn on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:05 am

Where do you look to see if you have a cooler ?
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:21 am

I'm dead sure mine has a trans cooler (april 08 build- before super select but with 17" rims and cruise control)
I've never seen the trans light.

The hilux boys don't have a factory cooler at all- hence there frequent warning lights.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby snowman on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:27 am

26 is there any chance you can post a pick of the cooler pipework entering and exiting the g'box please.

then i can look in the same spot on mine for confirmation.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:02 am

Click to view larger picture

Sorry for the size- my hosting site is down and photobucket has reduced the size to near unusable....

If you have the service document download- and I have to cheat as I don't run a operating system thats compatiable anymore, BUT you can still access the images through the folder list.
folder 23 is the auto transmission forlder within the img folder- image AC600297AB
Last edited by 4wd26 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby tokirky on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:09 am

I just checked my 08 ML and it has one.
Its black roughly 250mm sq behind the no. plate on the passenger side.
The intercooler and Auto cooler are side by side.

On mine anyway...whew that saved me a few hundred $$$$$
If its worth doin' its worth doin' right !
tokirky

Postby ML-VR08 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:47 am

Yeah mine to tokirky - mine is a 08 ML aswel.
ML-VR08

Postby spooler on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Yup.... my 2007 ML has the Auto cooler as well :-)
spooler

Postby borngeek on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:24 pm

manual pic of install... i cant find it on mine... going to look again... :shock: from below it looks located above the intercooler?? :?
AC600296AB00ENG (Small).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks Geek- If you can get the next image- it shows the location better in regard to the radiator.
Anyway- it should be black, off centre on the passenger side, its pretty high up.
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby Storm Trooper on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:10 pm

Click to view larger picture one of the cooler from the bottom grille

Click to view larger picture one of the cooler lines running into the engine bay
i vote for a html version of the Gasa strip in between the 2 sites. then the goons who wanna get all parochial about their trucks can chuck rocks and shit at each other. by cyberhonky on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 am
Storm Trooper

Postby borngeek on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:15 pm

the word 'water cooled'.... :o

AC600297AB00ENG (Small).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Storm Trooper on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:21 pm

i got a pic of the cooler lines entering the trans box but 1. web hosting site is shitting me and will not issue a code to post... 2. newtriton.net forum site keeps kicking me out... this is getting frustrating :evil:
Storm Trooper

Postby borngeek on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:38 pm

I have checked my car pretty close.. no cooler :evil:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:43 pm

the radiator is water cooled (see arrow- its in the at folder) japengrish....
auto trans is air cooled oil.
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Page 2 of the "chipit triton goes further and faster" is a good pic of a open fronted triton with auto cooler- all front plastics removed for the evo intercooler install.

I cannot seem to link pics from chipit threads- even quoting only brings up the text and no pic codes....
Getting Out There
4wd26

Postby sam on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:46 pm

borngeek wrote:I have checked my car pretty close.. no cooler :evil:

So it looks like they dumped the cooler on the 09 Model ML's to save a few bucks :roll: wonder if the
MN's have one or not . :? :?:
sam

Next

Return to Drive Train Components