Triton CV Joints - removal and re-assembly

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Triton CV Joints - removal and re-assembly

Postby Homer on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Due to the loss of the original images used in the following post, the instructions have been re-done and can be found here: http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7397&p=233083#p233083

Just putting this up in preparation for a how to remove and refit the CV's on a Triton after doing this on Saturday to 4WD26's chasis.

I must say a very big thank you to Lewis, the manager of Jonlin Automotive Engineers in Brisbane who donated his time and expertise and put on a TAFE like training day for some of us numbsculls.

Lewis was the bloke who came to the City View Geek trip with Jop and made a few mates with his enthusiasm and help when a few guys were stuck. I will also give him a wrap for his generosity during the floods, going around with Jop and helping out people for days with his gurneys and equipment - including a stint at my mates business :D

The good news it is relatively easy...nothing a bit of patience and a six pack wouldn't make tolerable in the field and the tool list is minimal.

On the good side they seem like typical Mitsubishi drivetrain tough, so I don't really expect breakages...although if I do, I hope it's the drivers side as it is probably easier.

CV Removal

Tool List:

Heavy ground sheet/tarp maybe 2 metres square.
Bolt/parts tin
32mm socket
12, 14, 17, 19mm Spanners
Ball Peen Hammer
3/8” socket set preferably containing a uni joint or 12, 14, 17, 19mm sockets
3 x 3/8” drive extensions to make up approx 400mm length
300mm zip ties
Pry bar set
Side Cutters
CRC/WD40

Care must be taken to not lose any of the nuts or bolts or damage any threads.

DRIVERS SIDE

1. Securely stabilize the vehicle and use car stands if possible. Place the removed wheel under the sill of the car as a safety measure.

2. Remove the hub cap using a screw driver and hammer as with any normal vehicle.
Click to view larger picture

3. Remove the hub nut Split Pin using side cutters or pliers.

4. Remove the hub nut using the 32mm socket and an extension pipe if it’s very tight. To stop the wheel spinning put the car in 4wd 1st gear or Park…conversely have someone standing on the brakes.

5. Remove the brake line bracket and then the ABS sensor from the hub with the 12mm spanner.
Here the brake line bracket bolt is out and he is removing the ABS sensor.

6. Remove the Tie Rod nut split pin and the top nut with 19mm spanner. Keeping the nut on to protect the thread, hit the end of the tie rod arm housing/loop that the bolt goes through (hard) with a hammer a number of times until the joint "pops". This seems rough but is the best way to do it without damage…if you are desperate or it wont come off replace the nut back on the thread and hit the top of the nut…but this is only if the first option doesn’t work. DO NOT TRY AND LEVER THE TIE ROD OFF AS YOU WILL DAMAGE THE BOOT .

7. Undo the two 17mm brake calliper bolts and lift the calliper up and out of the way. Cable tie it to the strut springs or somewhere clear.

8. Remove the Brake disk – just takes a tap and it will fall off.

9. Upper ball joint removal – place a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up to compress the springs around 10 mm so the suspension is not at full droop. Lever against the strut springs with a pry bar to achieve the same result. This takes the pressure off the ball joint bracket and (3) 12mm bolts. Remove the centre bolt completely. Using a pry bar between chasis and upper control arm to remove tension remove the 2 end bolts a turn or two at a time until they are out – this is because they may still have a little spring pressure on them and removing one totally while leaving one in could potentially damage the last bolt/thread. There is not significant or dangerous pressure here, just potential component damage.

10. Screw the 32mm hub nut ¾ (approx 5 turns) of the way back onto the thread to use as a place to hit the axle/CV with a hammer without damaging the thread. Hit the nut until you see the CV “pop” from the hub housing 5mm or so – it will be loose once this is done.

11. Pull the CV out of the wheel hub – or more accurately pull the wheel hub off the end of the CV and out of the way by twisting left or right.
Notice in this pic the sealed wheel bearing inside the back of the hub. Disassembly to this point would be required to change a wheel bearing.

12. Look through to where the CV enters the front axle housing and identify the four bolts on the flange holding the CV to the axle housing. Using a number of extensions to get the reach, undo these bolts with your 14mm socket. If you have access to an air rattle gun or 18volt battery rattle gun use this as it is a nut and bolt and the speed may see the nut come off without spinning the bolt head on the other side (for this reason I would spray the nuts -the side facing you - with WD40 etc and have a beer in the hope they will come off without spinning the whole bolt). If not an angled pry bar is needed to "reach around" (p!ss off Blue) and hold the bolt head. Care must be taken not to damage the threads or nuts as the bolts are loose but “trapped” and can’t be fully removed so if a nut does not go back on to secure the bolt, it will slip backwards until it catches on the larger axle bolts behind here (the non rusty ones) and the wheel will not turn or will shear off when the wheel turns.
Note..these pics were taken from inside the chasis due to light issues for the camera...so is viewed backwards. The rusty bolts are the back of the CV flange bolts that you need to remove
Note the CV bolt slides back but is unable to be fully removed...any thread damage to these bolts to cause a nut not to go on will allow the bolt to do this and as you can see will catch on the axle housing bolts and...bang

13. Pull the CV out of the axle.
The CV flange after removal

14. Repeat the procedure to replace, but on the passenger side first carefully relocate the CV through the axle housing seal and then the spline into the axle.

PASSENGER SIDE

The steps are the same until step 11. This is a “double shaft” CV and the spline is further into the axle housing. The flange with 4 bolts is not used on this side; it is a slide in fit which means you will have to use a pry bar on the small lip where the flange exits the axle housing and lever the CV out. This is the reason you will need one of the small pry bar kits as depending where you are and the position and access you have available you may need an odd length pry bar to do this.

Photo: Driver and passenger CV's...notice the driver side has a 4 bolt flange and passenger is a hub with an extra shaft and spline
Also the CV's are reversed in this photo...thanks Chicky :roll: ;) so if you turn the top (passenger side) CV around they will be matching how they come out...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Re: Triton CV Joints - removal and re-assembly

Postby mad992 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:42 pm

nice homer,
i always thought to leave this to the pros :)
but i shall read your step by step with gusto homer :D
mad992

Postby jop on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Homer wrote:The good news it is relatively easy...nothing a bit of patience and a six pack wouldn't make tolerable in the field and the tool list is minimal..

A six pack......

Oh you mean just for the cv's......yeah thats about right......i thought you were talking about the whole day ;)

The chassis is now in two pieces and stripped of all the good gear - rear half looks good for a trailer.....hey Joe !?
jop

Postby Joe on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm

jop wrote:The chassis is now in two pieces and stripped of all the good gear - rear half looks good for a trailer.....hey Joe !?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:39 pm

yep a big thanks once again to Lewis who helped us all out with this DIY CV replacement class :D and another thanks to the "Numbsculls" that made for a good laugh for the morning :D

PS change the title to "secret QLD DIY CV reccie".........stupid NSW belter :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby borngeek on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:30 pm

chick_magnet_0001 wrote:yep a big thanks once again to Lewis who helped us all out with this DIY CV replacement class :D and another thanks to the "Numbsculls" that made for a good laugh for the morning :D

PS change the title to "secret QLD DIY CV reccie".........stupid NSW belter :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:roll: Well as they say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and theres a few QLD threads with this word in them now... :mrgreen: :P softcore BELTER! :lol:
-----

Back on topic...
Looking forward to this tech article Homer!! :D

//That was mighty generous of Lewis to show you guys how to do this 8-)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:27 pm

Will be up tonight I hope. I wrote the whole thing out and just needed some final technical points and then add the pics so rang Jop for Lewis's number.
Ring Lewis "I emailed the whole procedure to Jop on Saturday as I had the arvo off. Get him to send it to you" :roll:

Good on ya mate, thanks for mentioning that...not :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby jop on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:57 pm

No email here - fat fingers at work again i reckon ;)
jop

Postby Homer on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:26 am

Got it thanks mate. Used mine anyway as it is dumbed down :)

OK the procedure is now up, let us know if any other info is required...pretty happy with myself as I also managed to sneak in a quick jibe at Chicky Babe :mrgreen:

OK..better do the right thing....thanks to Chicky for the pics ;)

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:56 am

Homer wrote:Got it thanks mate. Used mine anyway as it is dumbed down :)

OK the procedure is now up, let us know if any other info is required...pretty happy with myself as I also managed to sneak in a quick jibe at Chicky Babe :mrgreen:

the Jibe at chicky is ill directed- the cv's are as they should be in the pic. Note the abs rings on the outside.

top CV is the passenger side- double spline
bottom CV is the driver side spline and flange arangement.

Great write up thanks Hommer
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:19 am

Good write-up Homer. This should take the fear out of doing it for quite a few.

Are the thongs mandatory Qld safety gear?
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby mad992 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:25 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Good write-up Homer. This should take the fear out of doing it for quite a few.

only if your wearing carbon fibre toenails chris
i want a pair of those blue flano shorts :lol:
and that cold stubby 8-)
mad992

Postby Homer on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:38 am

NowForThe5th wrote:Good write-up Homer. This should take the fear out of doing it for quite a few.

Cheers guys, all thanks to lewis ;)

What can I say...maybe that's why we have bigger....'feet' up here...

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:44 am

Nice work guys!! 8-)
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby stefanos on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm

borngeek wrote:Nice work guys!! 8-)

χ10
stefanos

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:13 pm

4wd26 wrote:
Homer wrote:Got it thanks mate. Used mine anyway as it is dumbed down :)

the Jibe at chicky is ill directed- the cv's are as they should be in the pic. Note the abs rings on the outside.

top CV is the passenger side- double spline
bottom CV is the driver side spline and flange arangement.

Great write up thanks Hommer

as much as i want to tell homer hes got in wrong :roll: .....shut up Selly :D .. hes right the pic is taken with them not sitting how they come out of the car.... hmmhhhh takes an apprentice to work this out :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby jop on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:26 pm

Some pics from a cv removal at ormeau

You ready to do this for real now homer :twisted:
jop

Postby Zantus on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:36 pm

Yip, nice and easy in a workshop ;)

My vehicle slid back into a bush when the CV blew and to prevent further damage we had to strip it out right there.....not so much fun on a loose sandy hill :twisted:

Zantus

Postby llpatrick on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:07 am

I probably missed some background info, but why was there a need to replace the CVs for 4wd26's triton?
was it broken?

A very detailed good write up!!
llpatrick

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:34 am

llpatrick wrote:I probably missed some background info, but why was there a need to replace the CVs for 4wd26's triton?
was it broken?

A very detailed good write up!!

We pulled apart a spare chassis that had the CV's (and ABS wireing)
Used it to write up this document in a controlled environment for general reference for new triton members.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Homer on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:05 am

jop wrote:Some pics from a cv removal at ormeau
You ready to do this for real now homer :twisted:

Yeah no worries, that bloke looks pretty competent...what's his number ;)

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:08 am

Zantus wrote:Yip, nice and easy in a workshop ;)

My vehicle slid back into a bush when the CV blew and to prevent further damage we had to strip it out right there.....not so much fun on a loose sandy hill :twisted:

Did you have a spare CV with you Zantus?

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Zantus on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:53 pm

Nope, but there were enough by-passes to get back to the main road in 2wd.

Fortunately I had a guy from a TJM fitment centre with me in the vehicle and he knew what he was doing. This article will definitely help guys who haven't done it before, so well done!
Zantus

Postby ag9111 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:47 pm

You wouldn't happen to have a front locker, would you Zantus?
How did you bust it?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Zantus on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:09 pm

No front locker on my Triton and those are 265/75R16 KM2's. The guy from the TJM store and I were busy setting up a 4x4 event. I tried to make this hill more difficult by spinning and digging bigger holes. The wheel grabbed at full lock and popped the CV. This CV was replaced only 2 months before because the original one was starting to knock. I think it might have had a defect, because what I did should not have popped the CV.

Another South African member has 33's and a front locker on his 3.5 V6 Triton, and last weekend he blew both CV's in a mud hole :shock:
Zantus

Next

Return to Drive Train Components