Triton CV Joints - removal and re-assembly

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Triton CV Joints - removal and re-assembly

Postby Mooons on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks guys just looking at a set as spares so it will be the cheap option to get me home if needed :D
Or a 100% mark up if a ML owner needs a chop out :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby ag9111 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:01 am

One thing we forgot during the fitout is a small quantity of grease to lube the drivers side oil seal when putting together. Dry seal will burn out real quick.
We should redo the PDF for that as it is quit necessary
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:37 am

ag9111 wrote:One thing we forgot during the fitout is a small quantity of grease to lube the drivers side oil seal when putting together. Dry seal will burn out real quick.

Fraz and CD, can you add Garths suggestion ?
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:51 am

Mooons wrote:Correct me if im wrong
From what i understand Fraz has Bursons CV's or were they just put in as a trial
And Geek has repco CV's
If so can we have feed back on which of the two is preferred or are they much of a muchness
Cheers Mooons

Repco CV's dont cut it... I will chuck the burson's one's on next to test... :geek:

I have done the track where it failed a few times before locked and unlocked.
ie. I have thrashed OEM CV's much much harder without any problem. ;)

I hope the burson's one's are better... :mrgreen:

Here is a crap photo. :lol: Cup broke and spat the outer bearing, the rest was OK.. :shock:
CameraZOOM-20120219200105066.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 am

I'm too dumb to work out at what stage we add the grease - if someone could tell me which paragraph or something that would help :oops: :oops:

I don't recall Fraz adding any when we did Geek's install so clearly we can blame this CV failure on that :P

If you have just blown your CV apart like Geek likes to do there should be a readily available chunk of grease hanging off the old CV if you haven't allowed for that in your kit :o :shock: :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby fraz91 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:31 pm

ag9111 wrote:One thing we forgot during the fitout is a small quantity of grease to lube the drivers side oil seal when putting together. Dry seal will burn out real quick.

Not sure what you mean here as the drivers side is completely sealed. Is it meant to say Passenger Side oil seal? If so, I'll add that in.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby Mattstruck on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:59 pm

yes passanger side, after CV is out, skim a little grease around the inside of the seal and the same on the CV mating surface.

Seems those wheel side cups are the weak point ;)
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby fraz91 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:29 pm

To be fair, those wheel-side bearings are under the most strain. They have to cope with more extreme angles than the diff-end bearings, as well as handle all the power that the vehicle can dish out. It seems odd that they're not made stronger than the diff-end to cope, making the shaft the weakest link. At least if the shaft is the weakest part, it can be easily replaced and the bearings can be re-packed every time a shaft goes. But alas, we can only dream.

fraz91

Postby ag9111 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Yeah, sorry guys passenger side. Was thinking OK, we did Geeks Drivers side so
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:09 pm

No worries. Have added it into the instructions on pg 6.

fraz91

Postby jab461 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:36 pm

......Sooooo.....I'm heading off to Cape York next week, and I've been reading this thread. I've also seen so many people break CV's on those 4WD Action DVD's! Should I take spares???
Also if I do bust a CV joint up there, how can I fix it up so I can still drive it and limp to somewhere to get it fixed up?
jab461

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:52 pm

It's a personal preference mate. I've been on harder trips where we broke none, but then was at coffs where we did half a dozen in 3 days. If you have the room it is a spare that I'd pack, but then I'm known for over packing. You can get a Burson's CV for a bit less than $200 each (or less if you know someone to get you trade prices). That or try and score some from a wrecker but you have the problem then of not knowing what their life has been like before the vehicle got written off.

The problem with driving with it depends on where/how they're broken. If they break in the wrong place the loose bits can flail about and bugger up brake lines and stuff like that. Each of the ones I've seen break looked like they'd be a hazard to drive with but I am aware of a couple of guys who've been able to limp home and then later to dealers for warranty claims so results can vary.

Cowboy Dave

Postby fraz91 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:56 pm

I'd say it wouldn't hurt to take a spare pair of CV's (one of each) on your trip to the Cape. ;)

As for limping along should you break one, the genuine CV's have a circlip on the inside of the bearing cup at the diff end. If you remove the boot at the diff-end of the CV, and then remove this circlip (can be done with a bladed screwdriver, just have to find the right spot on the ring), the broken/damaged shaft slide straight out. If the bearing cup at the wheel hub has broken, leave it in place. This will help to hold the hub bearings all together. If the shaft itself has broken (which so far I think geek is the only person to have done) then you'll need to tie the shaft up loosely so it can rotate without moving around too much.

fraz91

Postby Homer on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:58 pm

I don't know what the driving is like at the cape but I wouldn't imagine it is a CV breaking journey?

It's more of a touring thing I believe - unless you are going to try some serious tracks as well? If not you have little chance of breaking one.

As CD says I'd like to pack a set and tools to do the replacement - but only if I had the room or couldn't help myself and was going to try some extreme stuff.

I never take CV's other than on ntn trips...these people are bad influences :roll: ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby coxy47 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:04 pm

My opinion is that a pair of CV's cant hurt but id say your unlikely to need them unless youre front locked or you intend on doing some extreme driving.

More importantly i personally wouldnt drive with a broken one if possible. They are both pretty easy to remove. The drivers side is for bolts that connect it to the diff and then a 32mm nut on the hub end. The passenger is the same on the hub end but on the diff side its a splined shaft with a circlip so it just needs a sharp tug to get it out. The issue with the left side though is that the diff will need to be sealed up as to prevent you loosing any oil which could end badly.
coxy47

Postby jab461 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:53 pm

"It's a personal preference mate. I've been on harder trips where we broke none, but then was at coffs where we did half a dozen in 3 days. If you have the room it is a spare that I'd pack, but then I'm known for over packing. You can get a Burson's CV for a bit less than $200 each (or less if you know someone to get you trade prices). That or try and score some from a wrecker but you have the problem then of not knowing what their life has been like before the vehicle got written off."

Does anybody know where to get these Burson CV's from?

Also lads, I'm locked at the front so that might put a bit of stress on things I guess??
I've done the Cape twice before, but on dirt bikes, so know how the tracks are. While most are ok, there are a few that are quite a challenge ( Pasco river crossing for one ). And it only takes one to bust a CV! ;)
jab461

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:28 pm

You get the Burson's CVs from Bursons. Not sure where you're located or I'd link to your local stores.

Failing that I got mine from Ultimate as the guy at the Bursons that I went to seemed to think there was no such thing.

Cowboy Dave

Postby fraz91 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:49 pm

coxy47 wrote:My opinion is that a pair of CV's cant hurt but id say your unlikely to need them unless youre front locked or you intend on doing some extreme driving.

More importantly i personally wouldnt drive with a broken one if possible. They are both pretty easy to remove. The drivers side is for bolts that connect it to the diff and then a 32mm nut on the hub end. The passenger is the same on the hub end but on the diff side its a splined shaft with a circlip so it just needs a sharp tug to get it out. The issue with the left side though is that the diff will need to be sealed up as to prevent you loosing any oil which could end badly.

This is why I find it easier to pull the bearings out rather than remove the CV altogether. Pulling the bearings out means the spline stays in the diff on the passenger side, retaining all the oil and maintaining a good seal, while the bolts on the drivers side stay in place and aren't at risk of shearing off against the larger diff-mounting bracket bolts. ;)

Besides, when you do replace the CV, you'll be replacing the whole unit anyway, so a little dirt in the grease isn't going to make a difference, as there's no bearings there for it to affect.

fraz91

Postby Homer on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:28 am

You wont have a problem Jab. River crossings wont break CV's and unless you are doing really extreme stuff, have flogged your CV's prior to fitting the FL or stuff up, you will have no issues.

If you are really concerned, don't activate your FL (although I've seen enough unlocked CV breakages on extreme hills). I doubt there are too many tracks that you will require one unless you go looking for them.

That said, if you have room after the usual spares then throw a couple in...they aren't that expensive and it sounds like you are talking yourself into breaking one :lol:

I would only take my kit if I had the room - or was doing an extreme Cape trip (which is what I'd like to do).
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby SecondEye on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:06 pm

I found it a lot easier to have one spare in my travel collection so when I do break one and don't have the tools / time / balls to replace I can find a local mechanic and have it on in 1/2 hour.
Just don't get into an argument with the mechanic like I did, he seemed to think there was no such thing as a M6 bolt :O knew I should have done more than 15 years as a fitter to confirm that.
SecondEye

Triton CV Joints - removal and re-assembly

Postby Mooons on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:24 pm

Trouble is you have to carry 2 as each side it different unless you know which one you Gunna break
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:02 pm

:lol:
Just ask Mooons to come on your trip mate! Mooons carries a spare Triton in the back of his Triton :lol:

He also carries an emergency CV kit (cable ties) :lol:
Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby Mooons on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:23 pm

Mattstruck wrote::lol:
Just ask Mooons to come on your trip mate! Mooons carries a spare Triton in the back of his Triton :lol:

He also carries an emergency CV kit (cable ties) :lol:

Hows ya hangover princess :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mattstruck on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Mod talk:
Homer:
Joe:
Mattstruck

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components