Turbo Lag

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Turbo Lag

Postby willotriton on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:52 pm

Chip it chip pretty much eliminated it for me, the wind booster did the rest. No lag :D
willotriton

Postby rogermtt on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:53 pm

I install The Black One. No more lag.
rogermtt

Postby Maxiy on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:36 pm

+1 for the black one
Maxiy

Postby leonbee on Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:49 am

DEAD PEDAL... :o

Finding my truck very difficult to drive with the turbo lag. I have like everyone else had to adapt my driving style to adapt to the slight lag delay on take off. My other vehicle is a V6 so I do not get use to it.

A previous post by Buzznut mentioned Dead pedal. This is a good way to describe what my truck is doing. It's not the Turbo lag. :idea:

Trying to cross a busy round a bout I accelerated with the usual slow then a bit more foot to manage the lag but suddenly Dead Pedal. NO Power. Feels like the pedal is not connected to the engine for a few seconds. Just moved into a busy traffic with no engine power, Zero. In panic I quickly back off and down sightly with the pedal, then suddenly power returns. I quickly fumble the slow throttle routine and wait for the turbo to kick in and just manage to avoid a collision. Then Cop allot of abuse from the oncoming vehicle who thinks I am playing chicken. :shock:

Any one else noticed this. :?: Mine is MN 4 Auto, so it feels worse. This problem is very dangerous and I feel it's only a matter of time before I get clipped. :cry:

I think this is not the standard Turbo lag. Possible fuel related problem. Faulty fuel control valve maybe. :?:
It seems to happen spontaneously a few times a week. Any suggestions plz. :arrow:
leonbee

Postby moses on Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:22 am

Sounds like traction or stability control. No flashing light on the dash?
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby leonbee on Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:20 am

moses wrote:Sounds like traction or stability control. No flashing light on the dash?

Have not noticed stability light. No error codes.
leonbee

Postby hvac guy on Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:41 pm

I found buy rolling on the throttle it takes off better then stomping it. Takes a bit to train yourself but once you have its heaps better
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby red dragin on Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:22 pm

Have encountered it a few times MN GLX manual. I suspect its the traction control kicking in very briefly but not showing a light. Does it when turning and accelerating. Most frightening was a RH turn across traffic at lights when I just lost all power.

I've noticed I can chirp the left tyre when turning left for about 20m with no interupption, but make a similar style right turn and the TC come in before as much as a squeak from the tyres.
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Postby leonbee on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:23 pm

I will turn off the Active stability Control for a week and see if it makes any difference.
leonbee

Postby Stoneman on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:41 pm

red dragin wrote:Have encountered it a few times MN GLX manual. I suspect its the traction control kicking in very briefly but not showing a light. Does it when turning and accelerating. Most frightening was a RH turn across traffic at lights when I just lost all power.

I've noticed I can chirp the left tyre when turning left for about 20m with no interupption, but make a similar style right turn and the TC come in before as much as a squeak from the tyres.

I think it may have something to do with the yaw rate setting

It may need resetting/calibrating . I did mine early days and dont have any issues with traction or stability control

That said I did have to learn its limits
Stoneman

Postby hvac guy on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:57 pm

How do u calibrate it ?
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Stoneman on Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:10 am

hvac guy wrote:How do u calibrate it ?

With a mut
Stoneman

Postby colin b on Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:18 am

I am beginning to think my MN must be an exceptionally good one as the only white-knuckle moments I have ever had have always been my fault or that of my fellow road-users.

The car has reasonable acceleration and predictable handling and now that it has 25,000 on the clock the fuel consumption is o.k. for such a big tank. I had a small issue with fuel consumption but when I had the cooling system recall done the dealer reset the onboard computer and that sorted it out.

Rather than mess around with bolt-on accessories like chips I would try finding a diesel mechanic who can get the engine to work properly while staying within the manufacturer's specs.
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby Kingjw2001 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:03 pm

My mn 2015 with 7000km has done this "dead peddle" 3 times. Twice in first and once turning in third. After the second time I read up about it. Not uncommon. Pedal off pedal on fixed it real quick last time. Once you know recognise what it is and back off its not too bad. Still a PITA and shouldn't happen.
Kingjw2001

Postby leonbee on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:02 pm

The stability and traction control does take over acceleration. On memory it happens to me on round abouts and turning hard into corners so maybe it's over reacting and calibrating will fix the issue.

I'm driving with it off, but it turns itself back on every time I turn the truck off. Any fuse or what wire do I cut :lol:
leonbee

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:13 pm

leonbee wrote:The stability and traction control does take over acceleration. On memory it happens to me on round abouts and turning hard into corners so maybe it's over reacting and calibrating will fix the issue.

..snip..

I have never had TC or ASC activate on dry bitumen roads.

Today for no good reason. I did hard acceleration with 2 wheels on bitumen and 2 in gravel on the side of the road. I could feel TC working and see light flashing. It didn't interfere with the acceleration or suffer from this so called turbo lag which I don't seem to suffer from. Same thing doing hard starts on gravel. TC works and it accelerates well.
L200Shogun

Postby leonbee on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:15 pm

L200Shogun wrote:
leonbee wrote:The stability and traction control does take over acceleration. On memory it happens to me on round abouts and turning hard into corners so maybe it's over reacting and calibrating will fix the issue.

..snip..

Today for no good reason. I did hard acceleration with 2 wheels on bitumen and 2 in gravel on the side of the road. I could feel TC working and see light flashing. It didn't interfere with the acceleration or suffer from this so called turbo lag which I don't seem to suffer from. Same thing doing hard starts on gravel. TC works and it accelerates well.

Ummm have to say no light flashing so technically your right it should not be doing anything.
leonbee

Postby OffRoadDave on Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:32 am

L200Shogun wrote:

..snip..

In this instance it's working as it should in my opinion, TC only brakes spinning wheels, ASC does the power cut when required, since the ASC isn't sensing a loss of control situation there's no need to cut power, it should be smart enough to sense the difference between a standing start and losing traction at speed on a bend which is where the ASC typically steps in and stops the party.

On my MY15 the ASC steps in all too easily in the wet, a highway I have to cross each day I usually turn off the ASC just to get across it without the ASC stepping in ,cutting power and leaving me crawling across the intersection waiting to be T boned.
OffRoadDave

Postby leonbee on Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:07 am

OffRoadDave wrote:
L200Shogun wrote:

..snip..

On my MY15 the ASC steps in all too easily in the wet, a highway I have to cross each day I usually turn off the ASC just to get across it without the ASC stepping in ,cutting power and leaving me crawling across the intersection waiting to be T boned.

It would have to be sensitive to react to an emergency situation, The problem might be more related to the crap sway bars fitted to the MN as the truck tends to body roll and sway around to easily.
leonbee

Postby OffRoadDave on Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:40 am

I understand it needs to be sensitive, but it has me stumped why its even active at such low speeds, surely anything below 40km/hr would be a waste of time for ASC to do anything about.
OffRoadDave

Postby leonbee on Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:02 pm

OffRoadDave wrote:I understand it needs to be sensitive, but it has me stumped why its even active at such low speeds, surely anything below 40km/hr would be a waste of time for ASC to do anything about.

Yep should only activates with loss of traction..
leonbee

Postby L200Shogun on Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:06 pm

L200Shogun

Postby L200Shogun on Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:08 pm

I have after market suspension. I have only once made ASC activate on a wet twisty road at speed. I gave up trying to get it go off on corners or roundabouts. It just never happens for me.
L200Shogun

Postby leonbee on Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:59 am

L200Shogun wrote:http://www.l2sfbc.com/rmp/blog/stability-control-ESC-vs-traction-control

Article quote. In extreme cases stability control can also cut the throttle, despite the accelerator being floored.

The Triton cuts the throttle when it feels like it.... :lol: Usually with oncoming traffic :o
leonbee

Postby red dragin on Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:03 pm

leonbee wrote:: Usually with oncoming traffic :o

^ True :lol:

I had a Mazda3 MPS (16PSI boost factory turbo, FW drive, 250HP at the flywheel, rotate tyres between oil changes :lol: ), Discovered one night if you got the front wheels to slide at the same speed as the rears where travelling, no Stability Control. Got a good look at an Armco barrier that night, until I lifted off the pedal, the SC kicked in and around the round a bout I went like nothing ever happened.

Aside from the sudden power loss in certain scenario's, I've found the ":Fly-by-wire lag" (not turbo) circumvent-able by just holding the throttle open slightly between shifts. Seems to keep the butterfly in the throttle body open and prevent the lag that occurs when it returns to its home position.
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components