Turbo Lag

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Turbo Lag

Postby leonbee on Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:17 pm

leonbee wrote:I will turn off the Active stability Control for a week and see if it makes any difference.

Update: Couple of weeks with ASC turned off and no death pedal. Will now leave it on and see if it happens again.
leonbee

Postby leonbee on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:25 pm

leonbee wrote:
L200Shogun wrote:http://www.l2sfbc.com/rmp/blog/stability-control-ESC-vs-traction-control

Article quote. In extreme cases stability control can also cut the throttle, despite the accelerator being floored.

The Triton cuts the throttle when it feels like it.... :lol: Usually with oncoming traffic :o

Dead/Death pedal is back on cornering and round-abouts. I can rule out bad fuel as I have had different tanks. I must assume its the faut of the traction control. Ill have the dealer look at it nest service for possible calibration.

Thanx for your help Stoneman. :)
leonbee

Postby Stoneman on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:38 pm

I was just thinking about this today as I done a left turn and as the road joined the next it was raised if that makes sense? So the truck sort of changed angle at the same time as turning
And I didn't have any issues putting my foot into it as I do :lol:
Got me thinking about over sized tyres as my Pajero has and if the pressure isn't around 38-40 psi I get quite a bit of side movement and I reckon if that's what's going on it could just tip it over the parameters and trigger the traction control or what ever it is
My triton has stock tyres, will be changed tomorrow :)

I reckon the normal tyre pressure is not the normal any more

Just some food for thought, but first of all I would be making sure it's all set right first as you maybe chasing your tail a little
Stoneman

Postby leonbee on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:50 pm

Stoneman wrote:
Just some food for thought, but first of all I would be making sure it's all set right first as you maybe chasing your tail a little

Probably better to replace the crap stock sway bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HryG31NuiXU
leonbee

Postby Stoneman on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:13 pm

I've wanted to do the same thing with cameras when I have a problem :lol:

I don't really know as I don't have the issues but it just maybe worth considering

I run a 3 inch exhaust with a high flow and never seen any problems

Snapped my dump pipe one day drove all the way to site with no problems and no loss of power??.
Stoneman

Postby Stoneman on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:17 pm

I'Ve had a few tonight but my thinking is the car is the car and 9 out of 10 times the problems are the way it was built or the last person working on it :lol:
Stoneman

Postby leonbee on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:51 pm

Stoneman wrote:I'Ve had a few tonight but my thinking is the car is the car and 9 out of 10 times the problems are the way it was built or the last person working on it :lol:

The way it was built. Look at this contraption available for the new best ever Triton model. Spend $40 gran on a truck and u have to buy one of these stupid looking things for $300. :(
Its like one of those trolley supports for an old geriatric person for a truck. :lol: Crutchers for a truck :lol: :lol:

Might have to get one of these retarded looking add on's to stop the stability control light coming on when I turn a corner or before I get sandwiched on a round-a-bout. :shock:

Sounds like u need a laugh..Check it out ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3GmDQ3zmwU
leonbee

Postby dieselweasel on Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:50 am

I didn't really see it doing much except for looking extremely white
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby Stoneman on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:06 am

Beware of imitations but :lol:
Stoneman

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:48 am

Tying the strut towers - but they're mounted on a big steel chassis - not a pressed body section!

The nice long flappy brackets to connect the ends of the rear stabiliser bar will probably break off with fatique soon enough.

Cracks me up when these rice burner fanatics try to take their ideas from an Ego or equiv and tack em onto a 4x4. :lol:

Will also have huge effect on turbo lag?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hopeithurt on Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:01 am

Stoneman wrote:
hvac guy wrote:How do u calibrate it ?

With a mut

I will give it a stab with the g scan and see if it can do it.
Hopeithurt

Postby leonbee on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:16 pm

leonbee wrote:
leonbee wrote:
L200Shogun wrote:http://www.l2sfbc.com/rmp/blog/stability-control-ESC-vs-traction-control

Article quote. In extreme cases stability control can also cut the throttle, despite the accelerator being floored.

The Triton cuts the throttle when it feels like it.... :lol: Usually with oncoming traffic :o

Dead/Death pedal is back on cornering and round-abouts. I can rule out bad fuel as I have had different tanks. I must assume its the fault of the traction control. Ill have the dealer look at it nest service for possible calibration.

Thanx for your help Stoneman. :)

:arrow: Just an update on Death pedal problem. i.e when accelerating off the mark, loose power like a flat spot in a petrol. Not the slight turbo lag. Complete lose of power for a few seconds then suddenly cuts in.

ANyway the death pedal problem has gone. Got fixed last service. I Never mentioned it to the dealer. Have no idea what they did or what caused it. No probs for about a month or so after 30k service.. Feeling allot safer crossing traffic . :)
leonbee

Postby Overbank on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:49 pm

Has anyone had any experience with these chips? I've got a 2013 MN 2.5d 4spd auto and I want to fix the lag at low revs: http://www.sw-diesel.com.au
Overbank

Postby coughy on Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:54 pm

for that money i can sell you mine and it works
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Headley on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:07 pm

leonbee wrote:ANyway the death pedal problem has gone. Got fixed last service. I Never mentioned it to the dealer. Have no idea what they did or what caused it. No probs for about a month or so after 30k service.. Feeling allot safer crossing traffic . :)

Hey leon,

Do you know exactly what tyour mechanic did to fix the turbo lag? I got the same problem crossing traffic, roundabouts and every bloody time i put my foot down, i just don't move very fast for a few seconds then nearly slide off the road :/
Headley

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:33 pm

Overbank wrote:Has anyone had any experience with these chips? I've got a 2013 MN 2.5d 4spd auto and I want to fix the lag at low revs: http://www.sw-diesel.com.au

"SW Diesel Pro + Boost unit not only increases Fuel pressure, It also adjusts the boost pressure.
This combination means that we can give you the massive power increases whilst keeping exhaust gas temperatures as standard."

And each smoke box comes with a free Unicorn :roll:
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby red dragin on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:50 pm

:lol:
2015 MN Triton Dual Cab 4x4 GLX

The wife is always complaining about it being too long.
They need to make bigger car parks :D
red dragin

Postby Naff on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:02 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:
Overbank wrote:Has anyone had any experience with these chips? I've got a 2013 MN 2.5d 4spd auto and I want to fix the lag at low revs: http://www.sw-diesel.com.au

"SW Diesel Pro + Boost unit not only increases Fuel pressure, It also adjusts the boost pressure.
This combination means that we can give you the massive power increases whilst keeping exhaust gas temperatures as standard."

Does it shit rainbows?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:00 pm

Naff wrote:
BillMcQuade wrote:

Does it shit rainbows?

Only when it's not laying golden eggs.

Click to view larger picture
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Overbank on Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:33 pm

Ha! Yes I've since given the chip idea well and truly away. Ecutek tune for Christmas!
Overbank

Postby Headley on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:02 pm

Lol i'll take that as a no then :P
Headley

Overcoming the "turbo lag", Blanking off ERG?

Postby Headley on Mon May 06, 2019 10:55 am

Hi guys,

Had to pull in to the servo to change a headlight globe, this guy came up to me and asked if i needed a hand, i said i was ok with it. We got talking for a bit and he seemed to know quite a lot about my Triton series (MN). I asked him a real "stab in the dark" question:

How can i fix the turbo lag?

He said to fit a catch can to the turbo, empty any oil that may be in the air intake plumbing and to blank off the ERG? Anyone know about this?
Headley

Re: Overcoming the "turbo lag", Blanking off ERG?

Postby L200Shogun on Mon May 06, 2019 11:36 am

Maybe he didn't really know that much about MN Tritons.

Yes fitting a catch can can be a good idea but for other reasons
Last edited by L200Shogun on Mon May 06, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
L200Shogun

Postby MN Driver on Mon May 06, 2019 11:36 am

I have a mn 2011. I have added a catch can, but that is to catch oily mist that would end up in the intercooler, but its good to have. Cleaning out the intake manafold (if dirty) will make a big difference. I personally went for the remap, which has given me a lot more power, torque etc. With that done I didn't have to block off the EGR or use a cable to help stop fault codes pop up. (correct me if I wrong).
With the remap there is virtually no oil in the catch can. I was one of the best things I did. cost me $1250 from opposite lock.
MN Driver

Postby Four of us on Mon May 06, 2019 1:55 pm

MN Driver wrote:I have a mn 2011. I have added a catch can, but that is to catch oily mist that would end up in the intercooler, but its good to have. Cleaning out the intake manafold (if dirty) will make a big difference. I personally went for the remap, which has given me a lot more power, torque etc. With that done I didn't have to block off the EGR or use a cable to help stop fault codes pop up. (correct me if I wrong).
With the remap there is virtually no oil in the catch can. I was one of the best things I did. cost me $1250 from opposite lock.

Do you still have the standard exhaust system?
Four of us

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components